Star Trek Ascendancy (recruitment)

They said it couldn’t be done!

(Actually they assumed I had enough sense to notice that for myself.)

But here in principle we have a workable map in Inkscape:

g998

“Workable” in the sense that the warp lanes have triangles attached at the ends (you can see black slanting lines at the corners), the points of which can auto-snap to the hidden square at the centre of each system tile. And I think that may be the most technically challenging bit to do.

There’s more prep work to do, but in principle who’s up for trying this out?

4 Likes

@RossM stands up. RED ALERT!

4 Likes

Me! Me! Pick me! Oooh! Oooh! Pick me!

cough

I mean. If you require somebody to playtest, I suppose I could be convinced…

4 Likes

Sadly I’m far too busy to join in but I’m looking forward to seeing how this plays. Enjoy it, guys!

2 Likes

So, three player game?

My original thought was it wasn’t enough players, and then I remembered that Ascendancy was the only game that had a specifically 3-player count. Like, that was the only number of people that could play the game…

Sure, it’s more now with your Cardsufflians, your Vulcanoids, and your Andornorbuts, but 3 should still make a great game, if you’re interested…

1 Like

My inclination in that case is to stick with base-game factions, as long as you lot trust me not to peek at the decks.

1 Like

Works for me!

1 Like

Perfect. How are we to pick factions? Do we randomly assign or pick favourites?

If anyone has a preference, go for it. I’ve played Federation and Romulans before but I’ll take whatever’s going.

1 Like

Preference order is Federation, Romulan, Klingon

1 Like

Quick rules question.

Having reread the manual. (Vulcans and their pink writing can do one.) I’ve got questions about the example first turn.

1. How has Sally found a phenomenon on her first move. Aren’t the top 6 discs all systems?

2. Why doesn’t Sally attempt Hegemony on turn one? She’s got 5 culture at this point. (3 as starting resource, 2 from strange new worlds.)

1 Like

Is this where I say that I think the good manual is the one by Mattias Elfström?

(Though of course it has a lot of content that won’t be relevant to this basic-set-only game.)

① There were more than six other players each of whom found a system first, playing before Sally; or they were using the Random Galaxy optional rule. I.e. this is not compliant with standard rules.
② She doesn’t have any unexhausted Commands left?

2 Likes

One I’ll except. Two is because I didn’t understand Hegemony is a command action.

Thanks!

1 Like

So, if I understand the preference matrix correctly, @RossM will play Federation, @RogerBW will take Klingons, and @Marx (me!) takes Romulan?

Unless you’d rather play a faction you’ve played before, Roger, in which case you can take the Romulans and I’ll take the Klingons.

I remember the manual being extra awful. The game is great, but they try real hard not to let you know that… I’ll check out the Unofficial one!

1 Like

Happy with that.

I’m getting card decks together (stripping out bitmaps from the Tabletop Simulator mod).

2 Likes

Main difference looks like setup is slightly different in the rulebook as linked.

1 Like

Have I mentioned I am super excited?

SUPER excited! Gonna get my “It’s Always a Game of Chess”-teeth kicked in, but yay! Phasers! Shields! Secret tech objectives!

2 Likes

Ok. So standard set up (3,3,3 1 ascendency) but all system cards are shuffled so you can find phenomena looks like that rulebooks recommendation. Awesome

1 Like

Oh, hey, this seems like a good place to ask: in the original game, Impulse Engines seemed to always be a waste.

Moving Impulse speed lets you move 2 Sectors per Command.
Moving at Warp takes 1 Command to enter Warp, and 1 Command to exit Warp, but you can move up to 1 System per warp token (minimum 1). Since Systems are always more than 2 Sectors apart (or, if you’re moving at Impulse, you need to use at least 2 Commands to enter a new Sector), doesn’t that mean it always makes more sense to move Warp?

If you’re federation and unlocks cochranes drive it means you can move a fleet along two block corridors for one command.

It’s also quite useful when having to retreat and regroup, or moving ships to adjacent sectors to support a fleet.

(But mainly useless)

1 Like