Star Trek Ascendancy game 3

Link to canonical rules:

STA chat thread:

Players: @Canadian_Errant @Marx @Assussanni @Delwayne @RossM - please make sure you’re “watching” this thread.

3 Likes

I’d like to do a variant setup inspired by the same designers’ Firefly, a snake lightly modified for the limited placement options. So:

• Shuffle players into a random order, A…E
  • player A chooses a faction, then B, C, D etc.
  • player A automatically gets the north start spot.
  • E chooses their start spot, then D, C, B.

Reasonable?

Also I’d like your feelings on the Borg. I’ve found them pretty overwhelming but it’s up to you.

• No Borg at all
  • Some Borg (+ no Transwarp Conduit in the first 30 system discs)
  • Some Borg

0 voters

2 Likes

The sorting out seems reasonable to me. Better than a League Table.

2 Likes

I’m okay with your method to pick Factions.

2 Likes

Are we able to use another player? or is this 6 players already? I have another player interested, but if we are already maxed out, then disregard… let me know.

1 Like

We’re on five, happy to go to 6. Or 7 for that matter, if someone else wants to give it a try.

4 Likes

He should be creating an account and responding tonight or soon as can…

4 Likes

OK, we have six players. @MIGHTYSploosh please make sure you’re watching this thread.

Available factions: Andorian, Cardassian, Federation, Ferengi, Klingon, Romulan, Vulcan.

(For new players I’d generally recommend Federation, Klingon or Romulan.)

Randomised faction choice order:

1. @Assussanni (will get top centre spot on the map)
  2. MIGHTYSploosh
  3. Delwayne
  4. Canadian_Errant
  5. Marx
  6. RossM (pick faction, then homeworld location)

Aftyer that Marx, Canadian_Errant and Delwayne choose their homeworld spots, and MIGHTYSploosh will get the last one. Note that “player to your right” effects will happen based on homeworld placement.

3 Likes

Ok. Let’s see how you guys screw me up….

1 Like

I feel like I’m going to drown.

So just to be clear, when we need a die roll, we put a shortcode here?

To be clear, I’ve read the rules, and have gone through the appendix. It’s a lot.

2 Likes

Yup.

Use [square brackets] rather than {braces}, and note that the roller will take ownership of your post so that you can’t edit it.

Mostly you’ll use e.g. {pool 4d6} which will roll that many dice and sort the results, but there’s also e.g. {roll d6+3}.

1 Like

It really is.

Upside: good group of players here, most of us are pretty chill and willing to help with decisions/options, so don’t feel too pressured to know everything. And we all make rules mistakes, so don’t sweat that either.

2 Likes

I mainly make obscure next generation references, with little thought of winning.

2 Likes

@RogerBW ? No mirror universe Terran faction?

Just give all the ships goatees and you’re done!

I’ll take the Romulans please @RogerBW . I take it we are starting with some Borg + no Transwarp Conduit in first 30 systems? Are we also doing Humble Beginnings again?

2 Likes

@RossM - no, the Terran Empire and Orions are unofficial factions which Mattias chose to include in the rulebooks. For the moment at least I’m sticking with the published stuff.

Assussanni and others: standard start unless people strongly want Humble Beginnings, and indeed Some Borg with restricted Transwarp discs.

@MIGHTYSploosh to choose a faction.

3 Likes

(Happy with standard start)

2 Likes

@RogerBW do we need to boost @MIGHTYSploosh ’s access level so they can message etc?

1 Like

Done, level 1 assigned. Though posting to an existing topic should be OK anyway.

3 Likes