Gaslands: Post-Apocalyptic Vehicular Mayhem

With fast and cinematic rules, it is designed to be played with toy cars, allowing players to ram, skid and race their way through the wreckage of a burnt-out Earth.

There have been a few comments about Gaslands in the “Last game you bought?” thread, and a suggestion of collating lists of useful resources, so I thought I’d create a thread for the game.

The official forums certainly have lots of good stuff, and their Friends of Gaslands listing provides lots of third-party resources for starters.

6 Likes

Some prior mentions of the game:

1 Like

I’ll start by sharing a few places that sell various Gaslands stuff.

• Northstar Military Figures has a semi-official range.
    There’s dice, templates, plastic sprues of vehicle bits, and models of bikes, driver, passengers and others.

• Kyamsil Designs does wheels. Different sizes, rims and tyre types.

• Chimeric Designs has a set of very colourful templates and dice, plus a set of templates for smaller cars (break out your old micro machines).

• Anvil Industry does vehicle bits - guns, addons and other extras. They might also have stl files for printing.

• For something a little silly, Bad Squiddo Games does some sets of unpainted vehicles with war peeg drivers

3 Likes

I’m one of nature’s cheapskates, so I look at thingiverse:

Weapon packs, scatter terrain, dice (3d-printing dice rarely works well), gates, movement templates… even some cars, though toy cars will certainly be cheaper.

3 Likes

Checking YouTube for JH Miniatures will also bring up some good resource for it. He’s involved in the UK gaslands facebook group where there’s a monthly themed car build challenge - checking out the entries and the categories set can be some fun inspiration

3 Likes

My former-neighbor/pre-pandemic primary gaming opponent and I both own Gaslands Reloaded (I also have the original softcover). My former neighbor is pretty involved with WH 40k and, as a result, has really been working on building some amazing terrain for Gaslands. I think he’s already started making some cars.

I, on the other hand, bought a 11-pack (a 10-pack with a “bonus”) of die-cast cars for $9.99, selected specifically because of the 10 cars included, there were 3 each of 3 different colors along with 2 others that didn’t coordinate. I figured in a pinch, if someone came over unprepared, we could each grab three color coordinated cars (completely unmodified) and have a fun time with it.

Way back when I first got my 3d Printer and, around the same time, my softcover copy of Gaslands, I tried printing a set of dice. They didn’t turn out great but they are workable. A friend recently got an SLS 3D printer that could probably do a much better job (he said he bought it almost exclusively for custom dice and miniature models)

All-in-all, it reminds me of the wargaming ruleset my friends and I played a few times (over a decade ago when we were younger and had much more free time and much less free money) that used Lego figures for miniatures… only this time… it’s cars with guns (which bring a wonderful flood of memories of playing the old videogame Interstate '76)

2 Likes

a wonderful flood of memories of playing the old videogame Interstate '76

Hey Stampede, how 'bout a poem?

1 Like

I have no 3D printer, and no sensible place to put one. :sob:

How far are you from one of us who does? :slight_smile:

I’m in the UK. So there’s a few, but no-one I know in a handy distance.

The university where I work has a makerspace that moved to somewhere. I should find out where.

1 Like

Decided to cut down one of my game mats for micro machines scale gaslands. (meant to cut a different one, but I’m gonna make this accident work out)
One half I’ve cut down to two 2’x2’ squares which work out not too bad for a portable size that will be playable, but not overhang most normal tables. Dreaming of one day being able to take these to the pub… One day…
The other strip I’m gonna keep as a 2’x4’ length, because there are pursuit scenarios played over a few tables, resetting the terrain when cars leave the board. With the mats I’ve ended up with I can set up a full 2’x8’ strip and run the length of it in one go

5 Likes

Took time off painting tonight to make some wee sprue bits junkyard piles for micro-gaslands. Figure these can fit in some old 35mm camera film tubs I have, which I’m hoping will fit inside the roll of game mat in the poster tube; fill that dead air space with scatter terrain, and painting up the tubs mean they can be used for that as well.

The aim to have an easily transportable full version of gaslands that could be played at a pub table, in time for us being able to do that again, is well underway. Every wee space efficiency helps :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I like the piles of copper as debris in the background as well, nice idea for a relatively easy to put down but very flexible scatter terrain.

2 Likes

Huh! That was just some of the extra coins that I’d looked out for bases (been doing them on 2p coins). Hadn’t thought to just use them scattered for more terrain but that could be a really good idea. Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

They looked like such a deliberate placement I had assumed it was intentional!

Playing around with ideas for a miyazaki team. Still to find a weapon for it, but was curious about trying blended metallics. A decent first attempt at experimenting with it anyway

3 Likes