Last game you bought?

I have it, so if you need double checking, I can be your contact. It might need a bit of dusting, but I am pretty sure I have it complete.

3 Likes

Thanks, I will take you up on that if there is no component list in the rules. And knowing Hasbro…

1 Like

Just bought Spicy, after hearing about it from the podcast (an old podcast, I’m way behind)

4 Likes

Remarkably, there was a parts list in the instructions, so shame on me for my assumption, I suppose. That said, I am missing 1 X-Wing, 3 B-Wings, and 3 TIEs. The TIEs aren’t a big deal, as I can just cycle the first three to blow up into the reserve pile, but the Rebel ships are trickier. I guess just getting a red token and three blue tokens of some kind will work, and replace them as ships get destroyed. For $10, I can’t really complain too much.

3 Likes

Found that on sale at my FLGS a couple weeks ago. Only played it once with my wife, so far, but it was fun. I mean, it is basically just the game BS, but with a twist, but it is a good twist that makes the game more interesting. I really like the artwork, too.

3 Likes

The cheapest set of little 1:64 scale toy cars I could find arrived today, which means I now have everything I need to give Gaslands a whirl – just as soon as I’ve glued the template print-outs to cereal box cardboard, and cut them out, and read enough of the rules to try the training race… (In practice that’s not happening until sometime next week at the earliest, but it’s something to look forward to.)

The setting seems like a bonkers mix of The Road Warrior, The Running Man, and Total Recall – which is honestly a bit more than I was expecting from a game about toy cars with guns.

I’m also fascinated by the concept of one of their in-development games:

A Billion Suns is designed to be played across multiple tables at once. It will seem weird at first, but playing with multiple opponents across multiple tables creates a joyously chaotic deep space gaming experience of jumping ships in and out from table to table.

Part of me loves the idea of players who weren’t really involved in the game you were playing suddenly warping their fleet into your system out of the blue, possibly with neither side being very aware of what the other table was up to. It sounds like more effort and investment than your average game, but I feel like there’s potential for that to be a pretty amazing experience.

3 Likes

Just buy the X-WingTMG versions of them to make like a semi premium risk set. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I got notice that “Snikrot” and the Ork Kommandos finally came back in stock with GW (these are resin casts). The Kommandos were the missing links in my Ork Kill Team, so with these guys in the mail, my Ork and T’au teams are complete. Now to keep building and priming as furiously as I can in preparation for 6 months of 100% humidity.

1 Like

I may have ordered Calico today…

Someone described it as a Beautiful thinky filler, and I was sold!

3 Likes

Thinly filler is a term that is gaining a fair bit of traction. The other games which have had this described about them are curious cargo and mercado de lisboa (both of which - interestingly- are carved out of thinky big games)

3 Likes

I actually have Curious Cargo on my radar. I need to finish watching the playthrough from Before You Play.

1 Like

That’s a blind buy for me. Do we have a release date?

[EDIT] Scrap that. Pre-ordered.

2 Likes

Something a bit different, bought Thousand Year Old Vampire, just the pdf (shipping for the actual book was a bit expensive to Australia).

6 Likes

It’s a bit of a holy grail of game design. So easy to say, so difficult to achieve.

A lot of sales pitches seem to be “It’s a simple light game, BUT DON’T WORRY IT HAS DEPTH AND REPLAYABILITY” or “It’s a complex heavy game, BUT DON’T WORRY IT’S REALLY INTUITIVE AND EASY TO LEARN”. Publishers really want to have their cake and eat it.

4 Likes

(Originally in Dragon #60, April 1982. Source: the desperately slow What's New with Phil & Dixie Online Comics which also has the punchline.)

4 Likes

I got all the way to the bottom row of faces before saying WAIT A MINUTE THAT’S FOGLIO

I would have thought it hard to get past panel 3 without noticing.

I met Phil and Kaja when I was pretty young, at an event I definitely shouldn’t have been allowed into (XXXenophile demo, failed adult CCG). Lovely, lovely people. Still shouldn’t have been there.

1 Like

I may have cleaned up my wishlist and either decided I had a similar enough game already or am waiting for something new to do the same and then I proceeded to shop what remained. This splurge contains some expansions and several games that I’ve been drooling over for a while.

• expansions for El Dorado and Architects of the West Kingdom
  • Decrypto–because it was so cheap and it was on my list before SUSD reminded me I needed it
  • Battle for Rokugan
  • A Feast for Odin

My wishlist is now down from “several pages” to a few more expansions, a few out of print games I may try to hunt down at some point and a bunch of new games that aren’t available yet some of which need a little more research done.

There is a handful of questions that still lack answers (which Azul or none? Castles of Burgundy or another Feld? How many deduction games do I need? Will I ever buy a Knizia auction game?) but for the most part I have clearer ideas what I want and what I do not want.

12 Likes

Strong haul

7 Likes