Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

My hovercraft is full of eels.

3 Likes

My nipples explode with delight.

2 Likes

You can get a cream for that now.

4 Likes

I got it for 15 quid from amazon uk last weekend and have played it 3 times already. It is great, and brutal!

I got my copy of London a few days ago but I’ve not yet played it, so I’m glad to hear that you really like it. I’m going to try to get it to the table tomorrow night.

PS When ever I hear the term ‘meatspace’ it always makes me think of this short sf story - They’re Made out of Meat by Terry Bisson

1 Like

GASLANDS: AL FRESCO EDITION (although Gaslands: Rally might have sounded better)

It’s a lovely day, always annoying when you’re a gamer, but I thought it would be a good opportunity to try my newly-acquired Gaslands outside. I know it’s more of a miniatures game than a board game, but although I don’t normally play minis games, something about driving you cars and saying ‘brrrrrMmm’ massively appealed to me.

I started running the kids through a very basic version, which they enjoyed greatly, until I told them to go away and let daddy play with his cars properly.

Despite the fairly simple set up, carnage ensued almost immediately with a massive pile-up at embarrassingly low speed, which led to a lot of scratched paintwork. Nobody cares in the apocalypse, fortunately.
Leaving the carnage of pile-up behind him, the blue car sped off to the finish line, misjudged the turn … and flipped his way over the line to earn a concussed first place and a new driver slot opening up. This time I printed off and laminated the reference card, which made play much smoother, and made me happy because laminating.

Gaslands has also given me a way to get over my dice OCD - normally I can’t bear to roll dice unless they’re all the same time and ideally similar colours or at least in an appropriate palette. I’ve decided that in the apocalypse, the one thing everyone agrees on is that matching dice are sooooo pre-collapse and therefore in Gaslands I’ve made a point to make sure every die is a misfit.

11 Likes

(There is something very satisfying about laminating.)

4 Likes

Yesterday my son and I got in our first full game of Godtear, 3 Champions per side.

It went on a bit long, but I expect that will come down with more plays. It shares some elements with Warhammer Underworlds, but without the deck building, and more if a draft to setup your team. Has the same limited actions, so each decision can be fairly tough.

Overall, fun “little” skirmish game!

5 Likes

This has been a favorite for my daughter and me this year. Play gets much faster, and because of the phase system, it’s easy to walk away for other activities and come back later.

I’ve been spending my evenings painting the warbands. They are very painter-friendly designs, if your house is into that. There are some pics in the painting thread.

6 Likes

Last night, my wife and I had a rematch of Unmatched, me with King Arthur, her with Medusa. I was able to get in a good hit pretty early on, dealing 7 damage, at which point she pulled Medusa back and started using the Harpies to block movement and deal some hits.

She used Stone Gaze on Merlin, for which I had no defense cards, so it was a one hit kill, and just before I was going to use a scheme which would have killed a Harpy, damaged Medusa, and let me draw a card. Oh well.

Arthur started getting whittled down, surrounded by Harpies and Medusa, but was able to whack her with Excalibur, bringing her to 3 HP. Arthur took more hits as I was out of cards to defend with and Medusa kept starting in the same zone, using her special ability to do a damage to him, leaving him with just 5 HP.

My salvation came in the form of a versatile card, as she attacked me with the same card I used to defend, a card which lets you draw a card after the combat, or draw 2 if you won. Being the same card, the attack and defense value was the same, so being the defender, I won the combat and got to draw two cards.

I had a path to Medusa, so maneuvered and boosted to move the four spaces I needed and then performed a boosted attack. She defended, but due to the boost she was overwhelmed and defeated.

So we are tied 1-1. Maybe we will play one more with these same characters before trying out other fighters.

I am really enjoying Unmatched so far. The hand management really makes this a tense affair as you try to get the cards you need to attack, but keep some for defense, meanwhile may need to use some to maneuver into a position where you can strike. Really feels like a duel.

6 Likes

Does it feel like an Epic Duel?

5 Likes

That’s fantastic!!

It’s a lot to grok at first, even though we’ve played other skirmish games for awhile now. The fact that each Champion has a “focus”, so you want to work towards that, but not to the point of sacrificing them, as well as the ideas of the “plot phase” and “clash phase” really take a bit to wrap your head around.

I do agree that the round structure makes it easy to take a break (which we probably should have done), as it’s easy to see who is first in a round.

I’ve seen some of the minis painted, and they have some fantastic detail, but not so much to be really intimidating (mostly). I also appreciate that each follower is a unique sculpt, which I didn’t really expect. I want to fix some warped weapons, but I do hope to get them painted in the near (semi near) future.

Not that we need them yet, but SFG has teased at least 2 more Champions. A dwarf and goblin possibly? I can’t recall for sure. Either way, I appreciate that SFG appears to be supporting Godtear in the same way they do Guild Ball, as neither game set the world on fire but seem to have dedicated followings.

I had a really hard time deciding between Godtear and Skytear (really, how unfortunate is it that these games came out at the same time with names like that?), but ultimately went with the latter for its cardplay. I know you’re new to both, have you got a preference yet? Or even “better”… worth owning both?

2 Likes

Oh my. They are separate distinct games!?

2 Likes

Completely unrelated. What are the chances? (They were about a year apart but still).

1 Like

More importantly, do they both rhyme with “peer”? Or “pare”?

2 Likes

After receiving a neat little package from a certain corner of Cornwall the other day, I learned the rules, taught my partner and we played Innovation (well half a game of it anyway):

I don’t think we made too many mistakes but there’s a NASA launch tonight and my partner wasn’t quite paying attention… possibly :wink:

He scored a bunch of cards early on and snagged the first two dominations quickly. But then I got a card that let me skip from age 1 to age 3 by recycling some useless blue cards from my hand and from there I quickly went to age 4 and 5. When I managed to splay my fourth color with a huge stack of archived cards beneath, he gave up. I had more of all five symbols one can obtain until age 5 and he wouldn’t be able to execute anymore dogmas without my interference…

I really enjoy the game but I tried a 2-handed solo and that just didn’t work out at all. There is too much going on with the cards to play 2 hands at the same time. I hope to play again on the week-end.

Thanks again for the trade @IssiNoho77 :smiley:

7 Likes

I’ll be out watching from 9:45 tonight, it should be visible from here.

I’m glad you’re enjoying it, I’d better do my half of this post when it arrives :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s God “Tier” (so punny!) and Sky “Tare”.

2 Likes

Check the news if you haven’t already. Weather postponement.

1 Like