Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

Having recently bought TM, the app is much harder than playing irl

1 Like

So, the first time I tried 7th Continent (which was shortly after the expansion Kickstarter fulfilled, i.e. over a year ago now), I did the short introductory Crystal Song curse. I flailed around, accomplished very little, took a few different statuses, got virtually no crystals, and beefed it trying to take a makeshift raft off the introductory island (I did survive, but failing that check did not put me in a good position for continuing). And I was very tantalized by that submarine that I couldn’t figure out how to operate and assumed I needed to be on a different curse to actually get going. Which is where I left things. Now that I can monopolize my table for extended periods of time, I’ve decided to get back into it. But the Crystal Song curse is really not very exciting, just a way to acclimatize you to the game, so I decided to abandon that and get going on the first proper curse, Voracious Goddess, this time two-handing it instead of using a solo character.

Well, I must say, things are going a lot better (it probably does help that I decided to activate the Prodigy and 777 difficulty decreasers, but on the other hand, the latter just stops you dying once, and while the buffer of cards is helpful I don’t think I’ve had a Prodigy card come up on a failable skill check yet.). I mapped out the island pretty fast, actually managed to figure out where the gears for the submarine are - it’s nothing to do with the Curse , got a fair bit of experience, crafted a few handy bits of gear, got my characters’ passive skill bonuses going, and got a campfire going to cook the meat I managed to hunt up before heading back over to the submarine aaand…getting off the island! :fireworks:

This is what i find in general with apps and even TTS. Face to face play gives me all the information i need to know at a single glance.

Not that you can tell, but I prefer the Twilight Struggle app to the physical game. I need the rule enforcement

4 Likes

Yes, the TM app is terrible at giving an overview, while the TS app is good. All the essential information on one screen is a very important part of UI design, and the TM Devs, in particular, seem bad at it.

TTS I also always find inconvenient because I can’t see everything at once (aside from everything else I dislike about it).

1 Like

So, I have a 5-year old son, and it pains me greatly that he has so many toy cars and yet doesn’t take the obvious opportunity to play Death Race 2000. I’m starting to think he’s no son of mine.

So I got a copy of Gaslands: Refuelled, and had a solo practice game tonight. It started as a good, clean, street race.

Them the blue buggy mistimed a turn, and hit a barrier. Meanwhile, the orange (yellow team) buggy perfectly timed a corner, but spun out of control hitting a bollard, flipping his car and exploding against a giant concrete dinosaur (which was a thing in Mad Max; I distinctly remember a giant concrete dinosaur).

The explosion (only happens on a 6+ on a wreck) (and the machine gun) mildly inconvenienced the blue car…

But didn’t stop it crossing the finish line first, while the yellow car drove into the back of the blue buggy out of sheer annoyance, smashing it through the barrier and also accidentally causing it to explode.

Hugely love this game. I want to bring it when it’s possible to meet up again in Meatspace. Also, it’s actually impossible not to say ‘brrrrrRRRRRMM’ when moving the cars. Higly recommended if you have a lot of toy cars around.

14 Likes

I love the Stegosaurus skeleton!

Next time it can go sideways, get those limbs and legs in the way :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sorry, I uploaded the photos from my phone and typed it up on the computer - I didn’t mean to just plonk the piccies there. I’ve written it up now. Really, really good fun. I did have a car drive under the skeleton’s chin, I was fun not being sure quite whether they’d make it or collide!

8 Likes

Gaslands is great!! We really need to get it to the table again!!!

3 Likes

Today was a solid day. In the morning we got in a game of Eternal: Chronicles of the Throne with the new-ish expansion. Fun 1v1 dueler, in the same space as Star Realms or Shards of Infinity but with a but more MtG vibe too it(which I truly appreciate!). My son took the win, but it was close, and could easily have gone the other way if I’d survived one more turn.

After my son did some school work, we finally got Godtear to the table. We just used the core box of 2 Champions (1 each), and played the intro scenario, so it wasn’t overly exciting, but it was a good way to learn the basics. Either way, my son won taking round 4 for his 5th and final point.

While it was fun, it’s easy to see that the game really needs the full 3 Champions per side, so that’s our goal for next time. Maybe tomorrow or Wednesday.

After that was a pleasant game of Quests of Valeria, which is always a fun time. My son won a close game, 25-24!

Dinner and dessert was followed up by a quick game of Unmatched, Bruce Lee vs Big Foot. I started out strong, but Big Foot ran away to rest and recuperate, and one major missplay cost Bruce Lee (me) the game.

Also, seeing this in writing made me realize that my boy won every game today! :joy:

8 Likes

Proud parent? Or fearing for his inevitable worldwide dominion?

4 Likes

Hey, I don’t want to make you feel too bad but… how is today any different than usual? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::kissing_heart:

2 Likes

@pillbox Bit of both?? Yeah, bit of both!

3 Likes

The father of a son that is dominating the world has to be proud, no matter what…

2 Likes

I finally opened the ridiculously cheap copy of London 2nd ed last night (if you haven’t got it and you’re in the UK you can still get it for 8-12 pounds depending on the day). I wanted to play a solo two-player game to get the rules in my head.

I’ll admit I thought it looked a bit dull, but once you start playing and building your engine, it’s brilliant. How much poverty you accrue is really up to you, so there’s this lovely mechanic of balancing it against the rewards you get. Plus, you can actually have poverty, as the player with the least at the end has theirs wiped out (all other players get that same amount reduction, it’s not totally lop sided), so it doesn’t matter how much you get, as long as others have more.

I can’t stress how high quality the components are, for such a small price. The cards are really high quality, with a really nice finish and good, thick cardstock - a couple of times I tried to separate two, only to realise it was just one. I can’t wait to get a few games played.

4 Likes

Ooh, that looks stunning. And a few reviews seem to really love it. Okay, that’s on the list, especially that cheap.

Maybe not quite as thrilling as flying your snowspeeder between the AT-AT’s legs in the arcade, but looks like great fun. I played an awful lot of Car Wars in the eighties and it was wonderful, but a bit flat and fiddly at times.

1 Like

where did you get it for that price? seems to be cheapest of £25 currently

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2396262/article/34933223#34933223

1 Like

I never played a great deal of Car Wars, but this is quite a fun and flexible system - I’ll bring it along nex time we’re sharing Meatspace!

2 Likes