Last game you bought?

Does it have a solo mode?? If that’s what you mean by solitaire…

Yeah, both do. With Calico it seems to be just: play the game, but it looks like Isle of Cats has a dedicated deck of cards and everything, no?

[EDIT] It probably seems like I’m stretching the definition of solo mode for this one, but I’ll posit that calling Calico a multiplayer game with a solo mode is itself a big stretch.

2 Likes

Isle of Cats has a solo mode with an automated opponent… I’ve been meaning to check it out but have not yet.

2 Likes

Isle of Cats definitely does, and I’ve heard it’s good. Not sure about Calico though.

2 Likes

I’m confirming there is a solo “mode” in the rules, and there are scenarios provided to add additional challenges and mark achievements too! I’m just suggesting this is already a completely solitaire game as it stands. They just give you enough equipment to let three others join in.

2 Likes

Sorry, misunderstood!!!

I get that, but I’m ok with that. It’s a nice chill game to play on a weeknight with my boy…who has won every game so far!!! :smile:

2 Likes

Oh definitely, I’m not making any kind of commentary on the gameplay (though here I will: just finished our first game and it’s fantastic!), just the idea that this is a multiplayer game with a solo mode. This is an excellent puzzle that can be shared for simultaneous play.

2 Likes

Worst chain mail ever.

6 Likes

Picked up a cheap copy of Klask the other day. Hoping for some games with my wife over the next week (though my unfinished research project due in this Friday may impact that :frowning: )

5 Likes

Good to hear! I just bought it a day or so ago.

3 Likes

Yokohama & Yokohama Duel Deluxe arrived today. Frustratingly, they are SO CLOSE to fitting in the same box, but no. It’s slightly too much stuff.

It might work by throwing out some duplicate components, but think I’ll wait a few years to resort to such extremes.

4 Likes

Well, Miniature Market already replied and refunded me for Guilds of Cadwallon. Thanks again to @bruitist for the heads up on that one!

In other news, not a recent purchase but after getting a delivery notification but no actual date or movement beyond “pending” I walked out of the house this morning to see a surprise box sitting on my steps.

Opened the box to see my Altar Quest pledge had arrived! :partying_face:

Eager to get to the game, maybe next weekend when my son is over. I think I’ll be checking the fact because while early feedback is mostly positive (except some finding the core box enemies too easy), apparently the rule book is…rough. Fortunately there is a very active user on BGG that keeps up to date FAQ for the BlackList games (his Street Masters page is fantastic and very helpful).

4 Likes

Really like Yokohama, picked up the KS deluxe copy while traveling for work a couple of years back. Was Sooooo close to backing the Duel KS but didn’t in the end. Have fun!

2 Likes

Now it’s in my hands, there really isn’t much need for both deluxe versions. A majority of the deluxe components are duplicated, albeit in slightly different quantities. If the components from Yokohama Deluxe were used in Duel, the only thing you’d be short on would be the yellow crates, and a few buildings. Annoyingly close, but not worth the deluxe upgrade in itself.

The only reason Duel has so many crates is because they sit in front of you for the whole game for scoring purposes. You could either (a) use the cardboard tokens from the standard Duel once they’re fulfilled, or (b) use the Yokohama track board for scores so you could return the crates after fulfillment.

The buildings… just use the building cardboard tokens in the standard game. It’s the wooden resources and little meeples that make the big difference.

Other than that, the only missing piece from the Deluxe Duel is the one-piece board, which is a bit of pros and cons situation to me. The board does look nice and it is more convenient, but there is something quintessentially Yokohama in all those board tiles, even if they don’t serve a purpose in Duel. And at least you can arrange tiles however you like on the table, though it does look a bit messy with so much stuff dotted around. The board also means Duel Deluxe is in a box almost as large as standard Yokohama. Ugh!

If there was huge demand for Duel Deluxe, I would happily sell it and buy the standard version whenever that comes out. As it is, that doesn’t really seem worthwhile!

4 Likes

The nice version of No Thanks that I ordered turned up today. The cards are larger than I’d realised when I’d decided to get myself a copy, but that’s fine by me. (The box doesn’t waste any space, and is actually smaller than than of some of the ugly versions with normal-sized cards.) I’m very happy with this little acquisition.

8 Likes

The best part about ordering something that won’t ship immediately, is that you sometimes forget about it, and are pleasantly surprised when it finally arrives!

4 Likes

Really pretty map!

7 Likes

I’ve never heard of the publisher or the game but what a great production! It appears to be a shelf-respecting size and that map is quite colorful; it gives a strong impression of the lay of the land which, based on that alone, must effect tactical decisions?

1 Like

The box is admirably tiny. The game has a chit-pull mechanism and has some interesting reviews on BGG. I like the fact that it’s focused on the 2nd day of Gettysburg, which is when the really interesting stuff happened. I guess it’s part of a series. I think the first day is covered by The Devil To Pay!, which is by the same designer, but a different publisher.

3 Likes

I think this is a huge part of the success of boardgame Kickstarters.

And I agree, a fine map: I particularly like the distinction between “up one level” and “up one level, but it’s difficult”.

6 Likes