Last game you bought?

PSC had a sale so I bought Quartermaster General: the Cold War and Battle Ravens for a tenner each. Milito was on sale too but already own it

Also bought Mottainai: Wutai Mountain expansion and Forbidden City which is a Knizia

1 Like

Not so much bought as printed but there’s an official 2 player PnP of Kingdomino. So, 2 sheets of card later and I’ve a functional version to test with my daughter.

2 Likes

Some time ago, as I walked along the path of gaming, I came across a rabbit hole. It was labelled “Arkham Horror the Card Game”, and I went down it a little ways over time, but not too deep as of yet. There is lots of time to explore its seemingly endless depths.

Walking further down the path, I found another rabbit hole, this one titled “Marvel Champions”, and merely took a look inside the hole, noting the entrance to this hole was much more open and inviting than Arkham’s. I figured this rabbit hole could go unexplored for some time.

Enter today, when stopping by my FLGS to just get a bit of a break from my kids, at my wife’s urging. Therein, I find the Barkham Horror stand-alone scenario, which I have wanted since hearing about it. However, in playing Marvel Champions recently, the urge to go a little farther down that rabbit hole has been growing, both to grab another scenario and to widen the hero pool.

My wife said I could get one thing. So I was torn. Canine cosmic horror or superheroes?

Superheroes won out and I brought home the Black Widow hero pack. And that rabbit hole is now explored just a little more, and its depths are calling for me to go just a little deeper. Just a little more…

8 Likes

I wish I could throw money at Barkham Horror just to reward Fantasy Flight for making a joke and then taking it too far (which is not far enough, when it comes to jokes like this).

But… If I’m going to throw money at an FF card game, I think it’ll be Lord of the Rings LCG

3 Likes

Went to my FLGS the other day, ended up buying Fort and Total Rickall, and now I’ve played each of them twice. Had played Rickall years ago, so I knew what I was getting there, just a fun little filler. Theres a lot of good things about Fort, but even at 3p it seems to take quite a while.

3 Likes

I was feeling the need for a filler that works well with 3 players, and came across a copy of the German edition of No Thanks!
Can anyone tell me why it’s called Schöne Sch#!?e? I know what that means in English, but it doesn’t make a lot of sense!

The art on the cards depicts such a day

1 Like

No Thanks is great! Everyone needs to own it.

I think it’s the German version of ‘tough s***’? It fits. @yashima would know!

1 Like

The literal translation is obviously “beautiful sh…” however, you would use it as an exclamation with an eye-roll, when something goes wrong.

“Schöne Scheisse, ich hab das Scheissbrot verbrannt! Verdammt!”
~
What a mess, I burned the bread. Damn!

Don’t know if that helps. It’s just a case of some irony-infused swearing… that I would mostly use if I messed up somehow.

edited: to improve the usage example :wink:

5 Likes

Thanks! Based on the English title, I wondered whether it was a German equivalent of “No f—ing way” :laughing:

2 Likes

Wonder if it got translated into English as “Holy S**t”?

But I find it disturbing that the “brot” contains so much “scheiss” :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I feel like " Oh, fan-f***ing-tastic" would be more analogous in English?

Holy s*** is far too positive.

3 Likes

Once it is burned, it isn’t much better than… I can do you one better though
“Scheissverdammtesscheissbrot!” although even the average German would probably split this with hyphens.

(Does anyone need to learn more German swear words? I’ve resorted to using English for swearing purposes…)

edit: just want to say “Scheiss” qualifies as rather harmless. As I child I would have been in trouble with any “bad” words. But overall there’s a much worse or they wouldn’t be naming games with “Schöne Scheisse”

3 Likes

Most recently and off the top of my head I’ve picked up . . .

The Once and Future Kang expansion for Marvel Champions, Rise of Red Skull as well and an absurd amount of Power Rangers Heroes of the Grid after finding the base game, Shattered Grid and Big Goldar.

Also grabbed Jaws of the Lion

More i’m sure. I’m stuffing a quarantine shaped whole in my heart with board games.

7 Likes

I always like to extend my vocabulary!

Welsh isn’t a great language for swearing. I thought Coc Oen was supposed to be really offensive, but the Western Mail published it in an article on swearing. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/fun-stuff/21-ways-swear-welsh-much-9557813.amp

1 Like

I just want to say that I am very much enjoying this morning’s game titles, and hope that somehow there are more of these to follow : )

3 Likes

We found Fort ran pretty long, even at 2 players! I think you’ll find this greatly diminishes after a few more plays, though. The scope is nice and tight, so it only takes a few plays to get a more holistic understanding of the contents of the deck. Then a few more rounds to rub out the brain cramps and failed strategies… We were cracking em out between 30-45 minutes (closer to 30) after about game 5.

5 Likes

Wow. Went on a blitz tonight. Rurik: Dawn of Kiev, Antike Duellum (perfect for my 2 player friend who likes light Euros), Indigo imported from far-away Americania, and Summoner Wars: Filth faction

3 Likes

At the Gates of Loyang and Cockroach Poker Royal both arrived today.

Time until Quinns gets a fire ant up his shirt: 4 seconds…

ATGOL has the most confusing surfeit of zip-lock bags I’ve ever received with a game. It’s rare for a game to supply any at all, whereas in this case I think I have nine left over – which is significantly more than the number I actually used! Not unwelcome – I can put them to use elsewhere – but curious.

I’ve no idea when I’ll get a chance to play either (and not totally convinced CPR is for me in the first place – but I love that artwork and Quinns was so enthused!). I’m hoping I might have time to learn ATGOL next weekend.

3 Likes

Cockroach Poker is awesome! Its always been a hit for me, so simple but so much fun. And yes, the artwork is great!

3 Likes