What are you watching?

Just finished watching Severance

Wow. Not at all what I was expecting, and my jaw hurts from clenching it so hard for that last episode. Wow.

But gosh I hate almost all of the characters in that show. Which, ya know, bravo for getting me to keep watching a bunch of thoroughly awful people. Because that was some damn compelling television.

3 Likes

Watched Top Gun Maverick last night.

Phwoaaarrrrrr!

Thatā€™s all.

3 Likes

I just finished all six seasons of Superstore.

It had some weaker seasons, and it took a while to find its feet, but that last season was really strong. And that finale wasā€¦ gloriously satisfying.

Granted, I had to skip 10-second intervals a lot in the first 3 or 4 seasons because I really canā€™t handle cringe, like, at allā€¦ and the writers have a really predictable cadence to their jokes, but still. It was surprisingly touching, and really funny at times. And pretty smart.

Iā€™m glad Iā€™m finished though, because I just had to finish it. And in a very unusual twistā€¦ Iā€™m really glad I did.

Next up: Obi-wan.

1 Like

Iā€™m still on Season 4 so no spoilers! :slight_smile:

I think its a credit to its writers (and the actor I guess) that they manage to make Glenn a likeable, even loveable, character - he really should be pretty horrible! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That whole thing where the person is wrong, everyone but them knows theyā€™re wrong, but theyā€™re allowed to keep digging themselves deeper. I think maybe I can too easily see myself as that parson.

1 Like

We love Superstore and I personally didnā€™t find any season weaker than the others. It took me some episodes to like it (my wife already watched 5 seasons of it), because it is hard for me to handle these cringe moments with unknown people. It got easier later on but I also love how the side characters never changed much. They stayed true to their character, though it was hard to stomach them sometimes (in a fun way) :smiley:

We laughed a lot and thatā€™s the best for a comedy show I guess :slight_smile:

We have 1 or 2 episodes left and it will be a sad moment to have finished it.

1 Like

In another note, my wife and I watched the all 3 seasons of the German version of Last one Laughing (LoL), which turned out to be a really hilarious concept and show. Mostly very well known (and great) German comedians.

There is a Canadian version I believe, but no idea how that fares.

The German one I can recommend very much, @yashima maybe something for you. It is on Amazon Prime.

2 Likes

Well, we watched Obi Wan Kenobi and enjoyed it muchlyā€¦ that is so a word.

Stranger Things of course, and now just waiting to see how the season ends. It is good.

Ms Marvel; first episode was a bit hard to get through, though once I acclimated to the foreign film vibe a la MCU we both really enjoyed the story. Spot on mother and daughter relationship issues (in as far as my experience working back in the day with the Muslim and Hindi communities goes).

The Orville has been the most eye opening series though. It has gone from loving homage to ST and Galaxy Quest cross, then a nod to Yesterdayā€™s Enterprise in season two, to its own thing in season three.

3 Likes

50 years later this still made me laugh out loud.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s almost as good as the Bat-Alphabet-Soup-Container (my all-time favourite).

Edit: Oh, bless you YouTubeā€¦ thereā€™s so much that Iā€™d forgotten about that, and itā€™s pure goldā€¦

5 Likes

And people wonder why that is my primary headcanon version of Batman.

5 Likes

Yep, and I still wonderā€¦

2 Likes

7 Likes

And just finished the Umbrella Academy, which again we thoroughly enjoyed.

And The Orville: New Horizons just goes from strength to strength. Totally knocking the stories out of the park.

4 Likes

Finished The Boys the other night (Friday??). If overly explicit at times, it has been a great run, kept me interested all the way through.

Last night I watched Hustler, that have been recommended by an ex-colleague. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Adam Sandler loves basketball, and it shows. Even Hernangomez (playing Cruz) was quite convincing on his role, even though he is a professional basketball player. It was nice to see some of the recently retired players of the Spanish National team like Reyes and Calderon have a small appearance.

2 Likes

Iā€™m 3/5ths through the new season. I wished I remembered the first 2 seasons a little better.

2 Likes

Watched The Sea Beast with my daughters yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed it. More than I expected. Even Karl Urbanā€™s pseudo-British accent felt sort of fitting.

Then looked it up and it is from the team that made Moana. Then I went ā€œAhhhhhhā€¦ā€

1 Like

We finally watched No Way Home and Multiverse of Madnessā€¦ I had seen a number of spoilers for Spiderman on the internets somehow my partner managed to avoid thoseā€“enjoyed both of themā€¦ and currently the number of Thor spoilers is also quite high. I think I have managed to avoid the worst so far. Canā€™t wait to see Natalie Portman. But I doubt Iā€™ll see it at the movies -.-

Yesterday, we watched Man of Steel. Thereā€™s this scene when he takes Loisā€™ hand and all I could think was ā€œthe man is a gamer, what kind of giant mouse does he need for those hands.ā€ Also: how many years are between that movie and the Witcher?

Weā€™ve also been watching and enjoying Ms Marvel quite a bit.

4 Likes

We saw Thor L&T last week. Not as good as Ragnarok, IMO, but still a fun movie. Maybe leaned into the silliness just a little too much.

Also started the new season of Stranger Things last night. Good so far.

1 Like

Watched Thor last night, enjoyed it a lot. LIke COMaestro, I would rate Ragnarok higher.

1 Like