What are you watching?

I like the songs well enough and Hugh Jackman is a hard man not to like, but the idea of doing a feel-good heartwarming musical about PT Barnum feels about as appropriate as one about Leopold II of Belgium or Nigel Farage.

6 Likes

Isn’t the second part of your sentence Hollywood’s motto?

2 Likes

Very true!

1 Like

I still love Braveheart for the famous battle of Stirling Bridge that Mel Gibson wins single handled. And not a bridge on site, so let’s call it just Battle of Stirling and throw a schiltron for the horses to get smashed against. And blue paint from the Picts with tartan, what the hell… :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

For the role-players among you, I recommend Marcus Rowland’s game Diana: Warrior Princess, the premise of which is that it’s a TV series set in our modern day made by a production crew in the far future, with the usual standards of historical research.

(Disclaimer, Marcus is a friend too.)

7 Likes

Right, I finally caught up with The Boys, and watched two episodes last night.

Interesting set up after the ending of season 2, I admit it caught me a bit off guard (should have reviewed the last episode of season 2, I reckon).
Is it me or now this series needs to have gore on every episode? Did they get a good deal on raspberry syrup or something?
Still entertaining, I still think the best thing in the series are the two kiwi actors. Even though Butcher’s (Urban) accent goes a bit off sometimes. I need to see how the plot develops with Starlight.

2 Likes

Also watched the Boys up to episode 3, and I have to say the whole “maybe there’s a superweapon but I didn’t let you know about it because you would have used it to kill supers” thing seems very contrived.
But it is still entertaining, and horrible.

1 Like

Finally, a worthy successor to Kitten Kong!

5 Likes

The recent Alex Garland film Men is really bad.

I can’t believe how shallow it is. It feels like it’s entire script could have been scribbled together on a beer mat in a pub after someone said “all men are the same” - perhaps semi ironically

2 Likes

Rectified this at last, and watched Paterson tonight (one of my three favourite Jim Jarmusch films, if you were wondering : ) and just outright one of my favourite films of recent years).

Also Groundhog Day.

2 Likes

Watched it, loved it.

1 Like

All of 3rd Rock from the Sun has come on to All4 in the UK. I missed it originally, but my wife loved it.

Have been binging away, it’s so funny

3 Likes

Completed Brooklyn 99 last night. A fitting end to the series.

2 Likes

Yes John Lithgow is brilliant in it.

2 Likes

Spellbound. It has the best skiing scene of all time.

Watched Metal Lords. Had not heard about it before. I like metal so… good music. But were we all so cringey as teenagers?

Can they like make movies like this without the cringe part maybe?
But would watch again for the music and the awesome cellist :smiley:

2 Likes

I wasn’t a fan of the cringe either, but it definitely felt authentic to being that kind of teen :grimacing:

1 Like

I enjoyed the movie for what it was. And the music, the cameos… I sure as hell would not want to peek at the past to see how I was in my teens. Cringe would not be a big enough word, I think.

And that version of War Pigs…

3 Likes

Went to the cinema with the family as their new Family pack in Hastings works great for us. We watched Jurassic World: Dominion which was fun, if predictable. It was great to see the old trio of Neil, Dern and Goldblum more involved in the action, and new dinos. If anything, it was worth seeing the trailer of Top Gun Maverick on the big screen, and with the rattling seats. That I have to go to see asap.

We saw Maverick last week. It was pretty good, definitely worth a watch.

1 Like