The Crowdfunding Thread

I actually just looked, and it’s actually more expensive than retail for me. Online, the game is $18.95 for 1 and 2, and $63.95 for The Collection.

The only pledge that makes sense is the all-in, but even that would be more expensive than retail, after shipping.

I just can’t be bothered, especially as they can obviously get the game to retail after the initial run.

Edit; just checked the conversion on the all-in, and it’s definitely more than I’d pay at retail…

1 Like

Whelp … I also impulse backed Frosthaven last night too. Mostly to get in on that discounted Gloomhaven. I’ve avoided Gloomhaven so far because I didn’t feel like I had the time to commit to it, but, well, solo play exists and it seems great for that.

6 Likes

One thing to keep in mind, is that you have to play a minimum of 2 characters in Gloomhaven. I’m not always opposed to that in coops, but it would be a lot (for me personally) to run 2 GH characters.

1 Like

My solo campaign is with two characters, and is not bad at all, after two three scenarios you get the gist. I would recommend you to use the GH helper and Gloomhaven campaign apps, though. They definitely simplify the process a lot.

5 Likes

:exploding_head:

4 Likes

Yeah - I backed and now have a little bit of regret given Gloomhaven sits there with 2 plays … still, will forget all about that in the mists of time before it turns up and I try to work out where to store it. Fashion a coffee table from the two boxes?

5 Likes

I gather that the Nemesis standalone expansion Kickstarter will now include the option to get the original core game (in addition to the Kickstarter expansion content that was always promised) as Awaken Realms worked it out with their retail distributor. So I am additionally excited for that to finally pop. (That said, I’d like it to come after additional financial stimulus related to the current crisis, ideally. I’m lucky enough to still have steady income, but bonus money would go a treat towards dropping hundreds of dollars on boardgames…)

3 Likes

I’m currently in for Steampunk Rally. The original had been on my list for a while, so I’ll take the opportunity to get the combo box. Roxley’s Canadian too, so I get to say I’m doing my part to keep our businesses up and running.

This means I dropped my pledge for Defence of Procyon III which is probably going to be pretty awesome, but I just couldn’t justify a game of that scope and weight (and size!) when I know it’d never get played enough, even with a very solo-able mode on offer from the master. I remain in for a buck, but it’s doubtful I’ll end up diving in.

2 Likes

I was watching for Defense of Procyon as well, but there’s no way I could justify that AND GoA 2, and GoA is more my style.

If I believed the 1v1 would be smoother (like 878 Vikings), I’d be in, but I expect it won’t be.

2 Likes

Mothership is back with what appears to be a final Kickstarter. Peter had some more juice in the tank and wanted a little expansion to round out the complete offering. It’s a booster pack of additional cards (some new stuff for all the decks), a nice custom set of dice, and a ridiculous gold metal set of ships. Naturally I’m in for all of it, plus an extra set of bones.

[EDIT] I forgot to mention I got the shipping notice for my special edition “Voidwalker” pledge of Luka Rejec’s Ultraviolet Grasslands RPG. This suffered tremendous delays due to Covid and a family tragedy shortly after the campaign. I’m very much looking forward to seeing how this all turned out.

2 Likes

Non-plastic and all recycled materials in their production. That’s interesting, at least. Will read up about the rules later

4 Likes

Well, I was off kickstarter. Backed the donate to charity Covid expansion for Clinic Deluxe. I already liked Clinic, would be interested to try it co-op.

However breaking the duck led me to backing Ausonia. The box is small and deck builders I find to to be satisfying fluff. I can’t tell you how much the small box was a deal breaker for me.

Anyway, that led me to looking again at 1840: Vienna Tramways. Having finally played some 18xx and been blown away I’ve been sorting my 18xx games. Punching cardboard and organising in bags. 1824 is an exceptional production and the game play looks really interesting. So Vienna Tramways got backed.

Erm, so much for being off Kickstarter :flushed:

2 Likes

I experienced this particular realization a few weeks ago… and I did manage to avoid the Clinic Deluxe KS (but only because I haven’t yet played Clinic; I feel like I’m likely to have either a love-or-hate relationship with Alban Viard… I have Tramways Engineer Workbook and think it’s mildly entertaining, I’m hesitant to take any further steps along the AV-games-expressway until I have a chance to check out something of his). But I was lured by Ausonia as well… and, well, 1840 was on my “games to watch for in 2020” list, so that was a foregone conclusion.

1 Like

Tempted by 1840, but £60+ for a genre of game I’ve never played is too much of a punt unfortunately

1 Like

I ended up cancelling my pledge for Steampunk Rally. Got the email/update confirming Conan PM opens up on the 14th and I expect I’ll probably have a few extra bucks to spend there. Sadly it’s a one or the other proposition right now. On the upside I’ve learned that several people within my larger gaming network are backing it, and one of my gaming friends has the original. All is not lost.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t worry too much about missing out on the 1840 Kickstarter. There’s no KS exclusives and Lonny sells his games directly from his website, Lonny.at

1 Like

That’s interesting to know, especially as 18Lilliput seems to be a bit cheaper

1 Like

I’m tentatively in for this one… I’m not quite convinced about the value proposition:

The Collector pledge is right out. I kinda like the large storage box… I’m not sure yet how I feel about the giant boards. So, for now I’m in at “Urban Planner”.

3 Likes

@Pillbox I just backed that too! I’ve been after Railroad Ink for ages! I must admit that I just went for “basic”. Can always change later!

2 Likes

Same, I’m considering backing just for Red and Blue. I’ll pick up Yellow and Green as well. I don’t need all 4 copies so if they arrive before Xmas that’s a few presents sorted!

2 Likes