The Crowdfunding Thread

And, at least officially, you only use one colour in any single game - indeed, with the reds and blues, only one part of one colour. River, Lake, Lava or Meteor. If they keep to that, that’s eight expansion modes (plus the base game with no expansion dice, which is what I’ve mostly played).

And you know what that means: tournament! :slight_smile:

I bought both Rip-Roaring Red and Burglar Blue because the boards are interchangeable and you can play either one with up to 12 people. I haven’t taken a long enough look at the new editions to see if those are compatible across all of the editions yet. I did see that they play 1-4, rather than 1-6? So if you had all 4 and they were compatible (to a degree), you could play with 20 people (twice as many as allowed by law, at this time, where I live!)

But, I think after briefly reading about the new editions, the new boards may suffice to play along with either red or blue, but I don’t think red/blue would be able to play along with Gluttonous Green or Yakish Yellow.

2 Likes

This:

looks as if the board is basically compatible but there are more things in the reference and scoring section. That said, I don’t think it would be super hard to make a universal sheet, that you could either print off in huge numbers or laminate, but I agree that the red/blue boxes may not be a lot of use in expanding green/yellow games.

I wonder whether the 4-player count is there because of the goals - if there are only three or four of them, then a 4-player game will feel very difference from a 20-player one.

2 Likes

The Green Yellow boards have special industry(?) marked squares for b-b-b-b-bonus points?

1 Like

Ooh, good point. Those little icons in the corners, I guess. I wonder whether they’re all the same or different on each player’s board.

1 Like

I can never quite wrap my head around the fact that CMON had anything to do with Railroad Ink!

5 Likes

I see! Thanks for the info!

1 Like

I had to check my original Red/Blue boxes but at the time they were known as Horrible Games. Unsurprisingly they must have thought this was bad for business and changed it at some point :laughing:

Yeah, I had similar confusion at one point. I actually preferred “Horrible Games” over “Horrible Guild” because… well, that’s just who I am.

3 Likes

I just backed Frosthaven, because hopefully our house extension will be finished by then.

5 Likes

If not, you could just hoist up the Frosthaven box on stilts and camp out under that.

6 Likes

I generally try to stay off Kickstarter, but apparently not this year. I recently backed both Oath and the Pax Pamir 2e reprint.

I’m still not fully sure if Oath is going to be any fun, but PP2E looks lovely and sounds like the right kind of game for my small group, so we’ll see.

6 Likes

I have a copy of OGRE Designer’s Edition. It could fit many other games if I emptied it of the one that’s in there.

1 Like

That’s a good idea - I’ve already promised the original Gloomhaven box to our firstborn as a dowry/horse-breeding stable.

4 Likes

Just make sure they have grown old enough to lift it without damaging their tender bones :smiley:
At 42 spins around the big fireball, I don’t know how long will I be able to still lift it…

2 Likes

Definitely looking forward to the new railroad ink boxes, has definitely become one of my favorite solo games.

Also put $1 down on Lords of Vegas, hopefully getting the base box and Up! when the pledge manager is up :smile:

1 Like

I’m in for Guards of Atlantis 2, and will likely out $1 on Ankh to give it some thought during the PM.

Beyond that, not much is happening. I was going to check out HEL from Mythic, but recently revealed details confirmed it’s not for me.

Oh! I may also back/split on a copy or two of theBlackList Miniatures: Fantasy box as gifts (son and brother-in-law).

I honestly don’t understand this one. I backed Dale of Merchants Collection, grabbing up DoM 1 and DoM 2 and some eurasian beavers at the same time. So when Dale of Merchants 3 was announced, I thought for sure I’d pledge Day 1. But… I won’t. Why? Because the pledge is literally a 1 eurobuck discount from MSRP

I really don’t get it… After the troubles with the DoMC campaign and the almost insulting “discount” for backers, I think there’s something seriously wrong with the thought process that was used to come up with this campaign.

After all, if I want to pay retail price, I can do it at my FLGS and not have to pay for shipping.

1 Like

I was going to look into this but now I’m not sure sure.

I know there is stock on both games in Canada, maybe I’ll just grab those. The game does look fun and is incredibly charming.

1 Like

Honestly, for a relatively small designer/publisher/graphic designer/illustrator, Sami Laakso is super talented. I just wished he had put a little more incentive into this one. Even the “all-in” bundle isn’t really a deal (it’s about 20 eurobucks per game… which is… meh, about what you’d pay retail)

1 Like