Star Trek Ascendancy (recruitment)

Yeah, I left 2 at home specifically so next turn I can build 1 or 2 and fold them into a fleet at the same time. Saves a Command.

The catch with Mining Fleets is that they still have to survive the Hazard… and if you lose 2 ships, the Fleet immediately dissolves. Wheeeee…

1 Like

Oooh, early Starbase. Brave! I think I’m going to place mine around the first colony, just to get a bit more distance, but that extra Command could be critical!

Oh, and I don’t think you can add your Research directly to your project yet. Research is conducted during the “Build” phase (you start Research Projects during the Command Phase, but actually progress towards completing them in the Build phase, I think).

1 Like

Reading page 33 I think I can add it now?

2 Likes

Yes, I think that’s right - because you already had the project started.

2 Likes

(Getting the order right in terms of commands seems key)

1 Like

Huh! I have learned yet another new thing! Cool!

1 Like

Is there a Romulan Technology for “Cloaked Orbital Mines”? I see a reference to it in the Appendices, but not the tech card itself (or how it works, just that you don’t have to roll for them if you pass through the system rather than stopping in the system).

1 Like

If it’s in the appendix and marked as part of the Core set I say go for it!

1 Like

That’s the catch… it doesn’t actually appear in the appendix. It shows up like this:

Romulan Cloaking Device (Military/Start/-/-/-):
Your Ships have First Strike in Space Battles during your turn.
[Romulan Cloaking Technology]
Like a Hazard, you only have to make the roll for the Cloaked
Orbital Mines when the Ships end their movement in Romulan
Systems. When moving through the Systems, it’s safe to assume
that the Romulan Rivals aren’t getting close enough to trigger
the mines. 41
Cloaked Orbital Mines don’t affect the Borg.42

(You see how it references how the mines behave, but it doesn’t actually say “Mines” or what they do? Might be a typo?)

1 Like

Yes, the card is in my card list. I’ll start an errata list for Mattias.

2 Likes

I thought we could only add one research to each project each turn?

2 Likes

Quite right, one per project. Will fix.

2 Likes

"Romulan Star Empire, Date… 2.

Our initial scans of the surrounding systems have detected a high energy pulsar nearby. Professor Noleek has proposed a Energy-Matter-Converter, and we have dispatched the Devaros, Shaenor, Khazara, and Terix along with the professor to test her theories. If they are successful, we will build a statue to her in front of the Imperial Palaces on Romulus. If the tests do not report positive resource extraction, the fleet has been informed to jettison the professor from the nearest airlock to see if she can manage a Pulsar-to-Oxygen-Converter in less than three minutes.

Additionally, our peaceful occupation of Sherman’s World has begun, and the Productivity And Fun Zone is now operational. A warm orange flyer informing the population about the benefits of mandatory work shifts has already circulated, and agents of the Tal Shiar are already integrated into the civilian power structure of the planet. Agent Iru suggested the next propaganda campaign should be titled “Happiness is Mandatory”, and was immediately promoted as a result. That’s the kind of positive thinking that will see Romulan flags on every world of the Alpha Quadrant!

Lastly, a new Starbase is being constructed in orbit of Sherman’s World. I am soliciting the population’s votes on potential names, but tragically StarFace McStarryFaceBase is winning the polls.

Beatings will continue until some minimal amount of intelligence is achieved.

End log."

Hey @RogerBW, I don’t think you can have a 2nd Research Project yet… only 1 Project per Science Node?

14.1.1 Maximum Number of Projects
The number of Research Nodes you currently Control is the
maximum number of Active Projects you may have. You may
launch Projects even if doing so would temporarily put you over
your maximum number of Projects, but you have to immediately
discard enough Projects to keep you within your limit.

(Which means you still have 1 Command you can spend on something!)

1 Like

@Marx dont you need a command to build a fleet?

1 Like

I’ll fix my Research. And yes, assembling a fleet takes a Command unless you do it with three (or more) newly-built ships.

1 Like

Gah, whoops. My grasp exceeds my grasp. Oh well, we can always build a starbase next turn.

Sorry about that, folks!

(Do you have to roll for the hazard again? Or is that only when you discover is or research it?)

Only when you end movement in it, or deliberately choose to remain in place to re-encounter it (which also costs a Command).

2 Likes