Last game you bought?

Bought Barrage for a very decent price!

7 Likes

Two cheeky bids I did on TradeMe have worked out, and I bagged second hand versions of Taverns of Tiefenthal and GOT Second Edition + Feast for Crows for a very good price.

3 Likes

Sold Modern Art, bought Modern Art.

Different editions obviously.

9 Likes

Which was which and why?

1 Like

Oink (out) for CMON (in).

Oink lived with the small games which are generally games under 30 minutes so I simply forgot about it. Making the box bigger and moving it in with the big games should help.

Iā€™m perfectly aware I could have just moved the box itself, but you know weā€™re here discussing luxury purchases so I can do this sort of thing as the small box would look out of place.

6 Likes

The newer CMON one has a wooden mallet too. Iā€™m wondering if which one would suite me: CMONā€™s tarot size contemporary art or Dicetreeā€™s MTG size Modern Art? Wow. First world problemā€¦

3 Likes

Indeed. Dice tree looks lovely and has money with the good doctorā€™s face on.

But at sub-Ā£30 CMON is hard to beat.

3 Likes

Having just searched for the dice tree version, I think the familiarity of many of the paintings would work against the gameā€™s ethos of ā€œthis is worth only what other people will pay for itā€.

2 Likes

Dicetree production is much nicer, but the smaller cards and the fact that the art from some of the different artists looks kind of similar is something I definitely consider a problem. Distinct art styles seems like an essential design choice to me.

(The wooden mallet for Dicetree actually has some weight to it thoughā€¦)

2 Likes

Mystery solved! This arrived mere moments ago! Along with an unexpected three game upgrade kit. I own two of the three, so it was a nice surprise! I guess Iā€™ll have to buy Versailles 1919 now? :laughing:

5 Likes

I posted in another thread about having an offer refused for 18OE: On the Rails of the Orient Express. I went on to say that the seller would go on to posting it on a BGG GeekList auction and probably get whatever he was looking for for it. And I was positive that some idiot would pay too much.

That was me! It turns out, Iā€™m the idiot! And I couldnā€™t be happier about it (well, I could beā€¦ if the guy took my first offer)

I donā€™t have many ā€œgrailā€ games, but this is definitely one of them. Actuallyā€¦ Iā€™m not sure I have any remaining? Maybe Discworld: Ankh-Morporkā€¦ not for the game but merely for the setting/IP.

What makes 18OE a grail game? Well, one, its box claims a playtime of ~4-12 hours. The full map game is definitely a convention type of experienceā€¦ or at the very least, a set-aside-a-weekend affair. Clearly, thatā€™s not going to happen any time soon. But, for two, the game features 7 short scenarios (suitable for 2 or 3 players), 4 medium scenarios (suitable for 2, 3 or 4 players) and a variety of other variants that can be combined with scenarios or the base game. Iā€™ve heard from a number of people, including some new to 18xx, that 18OE as a 2- and 3- player game is brilliant. Contrast that to 1817 (another epically long game) that many claim is best at 5.

In the same auction, the same idiot picked up Northern Pacific ā€“ a cube rails game by Tom Russell. I donā€™t think it was actually worth picking up and counting against my purchase limit for the year, but I just couldnā€™t resist.

At least one person on these forums already knows, but for the rest I would like to post evidence of just how ridiculous 18OE actually is:

(Fields of Arle used for scale, Arle being almost twice as deep as an Alea Big Box. Northern Pacific is a lovely smaller footprint boxā€¦ still a ton of air in, but not as bad as something like Chicago Express (my copy of CE also has Kansas Pacific stuffed in with room to spare))

(Iā€™ve used a tile from my copy of 1830 for scale; 18OE uses a much smaller tile size than a standard 18xx game.

As you can see, the map 18OE chooses to use is an accurate depiction of a dinosaur.

pillboxā€™s 2021 Purchase Tracker as of 2021-02-17: 4.3

Codename: Easterly Alacrity = 18OE: On the Rails of the Orient Express
Codename: Boreal Pacifism = Northern Pacific

Tracker
  • Codename: Fifteen (0.1)
  • 1860: Railways on the Isle of Wight
  • Anachrony: Infinity Box
  • Bucket of Bolts / Artefact (0.1 each)
  • 18OE (Codename: Easterly Alacrity)
  • Northern Pacific (Codename: Boreal Pacifism)
5 Likes

Youā€™re not in the UK, are you? Iā€™ve seen copies pop up every now and then on a trading group Iā€™m in.

1 Like

I am not. Firmly, squarely in the middle of the US. Itā€™s a bit of a unicorn here.

Hot damn. I didnt preordered it. But a couple of my friends did.

Now 2nd edition of Imperial Struggle, that I preordered. Itā€™ll be mine soonā€¦

3 Likes

Itā€™s ā€œGuards! Guards!ā€ I really want for my IP shelf.

6 Likes

I played a 3 player short scenario as maybe my 4th ever game of an 18xx. It was really fun. Iā€™m looking forward to getting back to it now I know a bit more about the genre. Working out Lawsonian track is important if youā€™ve played only games with the traditional track style.

Dealing with ports, authorities and the OE runs certainly adds plenty to the solid operations focussed game. I like building routes and running good companies so it certainly suits me. Glad you finally got your company

1 Like

Thatā€™s the one Iā€™m missing as well. Technically Clacks as well, but I had it and then got rid of it because I didnā€™t get on with it as a game, so it was never going to get played again.

2 Likes

You also need Thud!

2 Likes

My maths trade acquisitions have arrived :grin:

Also arrived are all three expansions for Everdell, and for once Iā€™m not the culprit!

7 Likes

True that, but I think I have some chance at getting Guards while Thud feels like a complete impossibility. Maybe my perception is wrong.

1 Like