Last game you bought?

The little wooden animals are very nice. And you get so many! Between GLD and NYZ, I received 287 wooden animals today :open_mouth:

5 Likes

Genuinely read that as ā€˜dildosā€™. Now, that is a very different game

5 Likes

I sold off a few games recently, so I allowed myself a treat (needed some shopping therapy, frankly) and picked up Praga Caput Regni from my FLGS yesterday.

There was a really slow burn with regard to my excitement level for this game. Initially I shrugged off the early hype for it as just ā€œthe new one from a respected designerā€ but the more I peered in, the more I really liked what I saw. In particular the way the board works (aside from the rondel) wasnā€™t something I picked up on immediately, and thereā€™s a ton to digest there.

Something I totally didnā€™t expect is how jaw-dropping it is. The (lovely) box cover belies the art style used in the game itself, and up close itā€™s really something to behold. Prepping the game involves some (tedious) construction, and they went out of their way to make it somewhat pleasurable; Several components destined to be covered up forever (the dials, the dual layered boards) had unique art and details that legitimately put a smile on my face as I fudged through.

This is a game Iā€™ll want to play multiplayer, but Iā€™ll be making use of the solo mode(s) to learn the game, at the very least.

4 Likes

Meant to check in with my local store to see if the Marvel Champions: Wasp pack had turned up yet, and they had Wasp, Quicksilver and somehow Scarlet Witch already. So I boughtā€¦ all of them. (Theyā€™re hard enough to get in the US, goodness knows when theyā€™ll arrive in the UK again reliably).

5 Likes

Earlier today, I received my package of 3664. Now, that may not sound familiarā€¦ a cursory search shows that it doesnā€™t come up in the BGG database. Thereā€™s a good reason for that: itā€™s merely a bit of summing. Once I separated the boxes, they revealed themselves to be my Kickstarted 1840: Vienna Tramways and my add-on 1824: Austrian-Hungarian Railway (Second Edition).

Iā€™m not yet at 18 18xx gamesā€¦ butā€¦ getting closer

pillboxā€™s 2021 Purchase Tracker as of 2021-02-10: 4.3

Tracker
  • Codename: Fifteen (0.1)
  • 1860: Railways on the Isle of Wight
  • Anachrony: Infinity Box
  • Bucket of Bolts / Artefact (0.1 each)
  • Codename: Easterly Alacrity
  • Codename: Boreal Pacifism
6 Likes

From the Maths Trade, Iā€™m getting:

Keythedral - I know Keyflower is the best, but Iā€™m curous
Masons (by Colovini) - I have Aztlan too. Only these 2 Iā€™m left to try from him. Never tried all of his, but these are the ones Iā€™m interested in. Bridges of Shangri-La remains unparalleled.
Town [Centre]: 4th ed - same designer of Clinic and Tramways
Broom Service: the Card Game - Broom Service the board game is very fun, so Iā€™m curious on this one.
Small Star Empires - they also published Small Samurai Empires and Small Railroad Empires. Thanks to @EnterTheWyvern for this one.

Thereā€™s Iwari and Spirit Island there but, alas, I didnā€™t got them. :frowning:

3 Likes

I got some small boxes
Wizard highly rated by Kellen on BGB, I grew up on trick taking games
Star Realms Frontiers an expansion for a small box deck builder/ card battler
Patchwork 2 player, polyomino layer? Iā€™m going to suck at this

2 Likes

Lux Aeterna goes outā€¦ Crossfire comes in.

I donā€™t remember asking for it, though I dare say I did. Shanā€™t be able to play it for a while, minimum 5 playersā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™d be interested to know how this is. I like the big version a lot.

1 Like

I adore Broom Service so was excited to check out the Card Game. It removes the board/position element and distills it effectively down to just the brave/cowardly component and relies on set collection and recipe fulfillment for scoring.

Lots of fun. I think we misplayed the first round and I donā€™t quite remember how (I think we forgot to draw new cards). I wish the rules were written better.

2 Likes

My maths trade acquisitions are Herbalism and Mottainai. No idea how either of those will go down!

5 Likes

The train rush happenedā€¦

If only I had a decent company to loot to pay for them all. That and no pandemic stopping games being played in person.

9 Likes

Iā€™ve had an unplayed copy of Keythedral on a shelf forā€¦ more than 5 years, Iā€™m sure.

If you play it, let us know what you think : )

4 Likes

Time for another confession. Itā€™s Februaryā€¦ and I seemed to anticipate earlier in the week that I would be needing new games later in the week to soothe my stressed nerves.

New to my collection:

• Sub Terraā€“immediately played today and we both loved it very much, if there had been time I would have wanted to play again immediately. The decision to buy this came after Mike Dilisio had sooo many cooperative games in his Top 100 and I realized most of ours were big dreary complicated monsters aka Gloomhaven and Spirit Island and Pandemic Season 2 which we dread to start but this one is actually from Zeeā€™s list. I did waffle about the KS for the 2nd game of this a while ago and kind of regretted not joining in then for a long time so it wasnā€™t just Zeeā€™s recommendation
  • Space Base ā€“ really hoping my partner is going to like this otherwise I am going after a certain Tom V.
  • Carpe Diem, the pretty new white edition that I am afraid will vanish again and would have had to get the beastly grey one instead. Only the second Stefan Feld I am adding to my collection (the other is Castles of Burgundy). I know this one from Spiel way back whenā€¦
8 Likes

Just bought Small Islands at the end of a podcast recording session in which I was enthusing about the copy Iā€™d borrowed. We finished the recording and then Lee mentioned it was on his trade listā€¦

4 Likes

I feel like itā€™s borderline impossible to dislike Space Base. Will it set his world on fire? Guess youā€™ll see!

Meanwhile all my Feudum swag showed up, so my copy is fully decked out with all the KS goodies and component upgrades. All thatā€™s left is to pick up one more copy of Rudders & Ramparts (a 3rd, for those counting) and itā€™s complete.

2 Likes

Wir Sind Das Volk and Kanban EV arrived today!

6 Likes

So the thing I missed from
My last post was that this preorder arrival plus 2 more games has taken me past 100 games for the first time. Having begun my journey as a board gamer who buys games in 2003/4 itā€™s been a long process to get here. For something so arbitrary it feels big maybe. Some games may wither and die in my affections but thereā€™s only a few which could shuffle off currently. Some are great and some stick around with a big hug of nostalgia.

11 Likes

Exactly how I feel about some games.

I donā€™t play TTR or Carcassonne much anymore, but having them there makes me happy. And theyā€™re still good games.

7 Likes

The 2 I think of most with this are Attika and Murano. Attika is maybe the better fo them but both playable and fun. Barely play them any more just from over familiarity but they stay as Attika was the first euro I bought back
In 2004 and Murano was the first good game I bought in 2014 after a hiatus in my gaming focus/buying. Plus Murano led me to buying Burano which is maybe my favourite game. I only bought Burano as it made laugh to have the 2 games of rhyming Venetian lagoon islands. So serendipity of having a silly chuckle isnā€™t impossible.

4 Likes