Last game you bought?

I looks like I forgot to mention a couple of things that arrived back in November. Both of these from the same BGG auction:

Aquatica

Heard good things from SVWAG on this one; relating it often to the hand-building element that you find in Concordia, along with the familiar “you spend a turn to play the card that lets you pick up the rest of your cards”. In the meantime, I went to set it up for solo play once and nearly fell asleep reading the rulebook… not a great start, but maybe it has something exciting to offer.

Nidavellir

Another that I can blame on SVWAG; looks somewhat simplistic, but maybe I need more games like that. Not solo-able, so not anticipating getting it played any time soon.

And now that old business is done, on to new business!

I broke my usual “don’t buy things for yourself in December” rule when Mr. Cabbagehead’s Garden popped up in the BGG market, with the the deluxe components and all of the expansions/promos for a very reasonable price. The art direction on Mr. Cabbagehead’s Garden is decidedly not my thing; it may be the opposite of my thing, actually. And I have the PnP files somewhere, so maybe I should have done that… but let’s be honest, that’s not going to happen any time soon, so I’m happy to be able to check out the allegedly-great solo game during the impending “post-new-baby-but-still-sans-gaming-partner-because-my-partner-is-too-exhausted-by-the-baby” phase.

Dungeon Party has arrived, of which was the Grand Prize in a BGG contest. My shipment contained two copies of one of the KS exclusive boxes, but missing the 3rd. So, not quite “arrived”, but the base box has, so I guess it counts.

Arkwright: The Card Game has also arrived, meaning this must be the “Part 2” of Kickstarter Season. Spring and Autumn are apparently the only times of year Kickstarters can find their way to my address. Interesting production choices on this one… looks like some corners were cut, but that shouldn’t really impact the gameplay (but most of these tokens are TINY, too tiny for my clumsy fingers… I guess I’ll use tweezers)

Star Wars: Outer Rim is the first Christmas-gifted game this year; this one straight from my Amazon wishlist, purchased by my grandmother. I thought I was done with Fantasy Flight games and Star Wars licensed games… but here I am. I’m looking forward to my first Outer Rim job CONTRACT (I said CONTRACT!). Here’s hoping it’s not just another point salad toss-up game from FFG

3 Likes

I’ve heard so much positive feedback about Aquatica and when I played it a year ago it left me really cold. My thoughts where… I’d rather go full on with Concordia, or simplify it a la Splendor or Century Spice Road.
The fact that I got taught the rules by a fellow gamer that I have issues with his teaching methods (fast, fast, “you do this, gives you that, do this gives that you that, let’s play”) probably did not help to do a good impression on me, plus I didn’t really connect with the theme, but that’s my 50 cents. Let’s say, I’d rather play something else… Looking forward to hear what you think of it.

1 Like

With Spirit Island: Jagged Earth showing up at various retailers, I decided to check Greater Than Games’ webstore, and sure enough, they had Promo Pack 1 available, so I ordered it. With that, I now have everything for SI except for the deluxe tokens, which I can live without.

5 Likes

Ha! Great timing! I’ve literally just ordered that (Well, yesterday!) as a christmas present for myself.

Spirit Island that is…

…It looks like a really nice complex coop game for Carol and myself. Looking forward to unwrapping it, on the day itself of course!

4 Likes

I really enjoy it. I have only played on “easy” mode so far, but there are so many options to ramp up the difficulty between scenarios and adversaries, and the range of spirits and how different they work gives so much variety to the game. All on top of really easy to grasp mechanics. Just a masterpiece!

Oh, and welcome back!

4 Likes

Thanks! I know, I’ve been gone for a long… long… time. Sorry!

2 Likes

In what comes as a very big surprise to me, these babies showed up today from Poland:

I had a good look at these in the summer right after I bought the base game from a FLGS, but ultimately backed out due to shipping pushing the price way out of my comfort zone. The receipt shows an October purchase, and there’s no record of any accidental transaction on my end from that time or in the summer. Very weird, but very welcome; I peeked back in November to find they were sold out of this stuff and I was pretty disappointed.

My conscience says I should reach out to them (Hexy Studio), but the recent permanence of my full-time dad status has me thinking I’ll leave well enough alone. This is a beloved game and I sure don’t want to return it!

Merry Christmas to me?

[EDIT] Merry Christmas to me! Just brought home and finished punching/sorting Eclipse: Second Dawn for the Galaxy. Here’s a case where seeing GameTrayz™©® is a very welcome thing because wow, is it a token hellscape. I’m guessing I’ve got at least a few two-handed games of this one in my future.

8 Likes

I nearly “aquired” a new game Throw Throw Burrito in a family bad Santa. I’m not too worried, probably would have been only played once for the novelty. Maybe it will instead inspire its owner to play boardgames (probably not).

5 Likes

Courtesy of my BGG secret Santa :santa:

14 Likes

It occurs to me that both of these were Tom reviews? I also bought my mum Railroad Inc which he did the big multi-game box review of recently.

12 Likes

My mum got me a £10 Azul from an overstock shop near to her. She’s threatening to buy more…

11 Likes

How horrible! :wink:

5 Likes

Hat’s off to your mum.

2 Likes

I bought Gaia Project as a keeper.

Also bought Sheepy Time, which I am super keen on after reading it from Space-Biff and SVWAG.

It’s been years since I’ve played Season 1 so I bought Pandemic Season 2 & Pandemic Season 0. Now I need to do the difficult part of finding people to play. I have 1 person already on board.

8 Likes

Played this yesterday - its really good! Pretty light obviously, but good clean fun.

2 Likes

It’s light but juicy, and that’s the real hook. Push your luck is only as good as your incentive to do so, and they nailed it with Sheepy Time. Some of the combos I’ve seen come up are scandalous, and because the best ones use other players in some way, they’re always accompanied by oohs and ahhs (and moans).

Calling in the rest of the Christmas haul:

• Labyrinth (Super Mario Bros. Edition)
  • Kabuto Sumo
  • Thunderbirds with all three expansions

Spoiled child, me.

5 Likes

No no no, I am the spoiled one.

My Christmas haul includes:

Kemet: Blood and Sand
Unfathomable
Royal Visit
Tyrants of the Underdark
Spirit Island: Jagged Earth
Raccoon Tycoon
and some small box game my wife found called Slamwich

Also pretty much all of the remaining Marvel films I did not own, six total, though a few were on a compilation disc.

7 Likes

Ok, so I know I mentioned I got Spirit Island the other day but…

Good god, that game is good! This is the first time ever that I’ve played the same game three times in one day. I go to sleep thinking about the damn thing.

Bonus photo of my son and I’s last game…

11 Likes

Man, that seems like a lot of explorers. What were you using to cluster them together like that? Or, more appropriately, which spirits were you using? I think I see a card from Vital Strength’s starters. Which was the other?

1 Like

Received a few new games for Christmas this year - Red Cathedral loving this so far. Easy to play, but a lot to think about
War of Whispers everything the SUSD review said it was. Fun 2 player game so far, looking forward to getting a four player game soon.
Clank! In! Space! Not managed to play this yet, but looking forward to it. Love a deck builder.

3 Likes