Last game you bought?

Didn’t buy it, but got it on a Secret Santa at my games group that was quite brutal, but we had a few laughs. 3 Wishes is now part of the collection. We had a go yesterday, and we were not impressed. I’d rather play Love Letter. I guess we will play a bit more to see what happens with it, but the luck of last year with Flipology did not happen this time.

4 Likes

Since I had a coupon to my FLGS for $20 off of a $60 purchase, I went and purchased Unmatched: Battle of Legends Volume 2, though they have not receivedtheir copies yet, and then Lost Cities to make up the difference for the coupon. Basically made Lost Cities $5.

Then I got a notice that I have earned enough points from their rewards program for a $30 certificate.

Just when I am trying to purchase fewer games. Again…

4 Likes

That game we were trying “Shadows flicker like flame” and “River surges in sunlight” so our ability to kill the explorers was very limited. Card draws did us no favours, but gave us a few spells that gathered and pushed. We basically tried for a “fear” victory, but ended up destroying the cities by accident…

5 Likes

After playing it, I bought it. Familiar enough trick taking, with extra bits means it’s an easier teach to non-gamers

5 Likes

Congratulations on tarnishing this thread. The shame, the shame.

Having not got into the king is dead I’m going to not buy Brian Boru.

4 Likes

Project L: Finesse has arrived. (I also went for the Master Box, which does indeed fit everything. Interesting to see the pressure-relief cutouts to make it easier to open.)

• KS order 2020-10-12
  • original estimate 2021-09-30
  • shipped 2021-12-24
  • arrived 2021-12-20
10 Likes

That does look nice. I was surprised how nice the standard version is - good pieces, dual layer boards, for the price. The nice one looks really good, particularly for avoiding bits all over the place.

1 Like

The metal coins are rather pleasant too.

I also have some lingering sympathy for them because they had a stand at Essen 2019 which they’d hoped would be “pick up your KS copy, buy one of the limited KS-overrun copies, get excited about the game that’ll be in the shops”… but the first production run of the dual-layer boards, sent directly to the show, curled and delaminated in shipping, so they ended up with nothing to sell and lots of apologies to make.

Late present from my wife arrived yesterday: Downforce.

And I was able to pick up my pre-purchased copy of Unmatched BoL Vol 2 from my FLGS.

So many games, so very little time…

6 Likes

I went to a board game shop today, who had a room full of older games. Was from a private sale, someone who wanted to open a shop, but never did, but collected board games. I hadnt heard of a lot of them, most came up on bgg as below 6, which isn’t a good sign. I picked up Sleuth (I believe its the original release), Sneaks and Snitches (because its from Chvatil), and Ad Astra (my mate said it was good, but now I find it’s been redone). My mate was happy, because he found (well, actually I found) a copy of the expansion for Pillars of the Earth for a good price. A few games were very expensive, like Container for $200.

And on the way home I stopped off at another store and bought The Loop, which sounded like good co-op fun.

4 Likes

After reading something on BGG, I did a search for the few Imperial Assault figure packs I was missing and found 3 of the 4. So Dengar, Bantha Rider, and Alliance Smuggler are soon to be on their way to me, leaving just Thrawn, the one I wanted most out of the bunch. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I bought Vinhos Deluxe and The Gallerist from a friend who’s culling all his Lacerdas. I’m a fan of the Gallerist and I haven’t played Vinhos yet, but I’ve been told by a few that Vinhos is My Thing™ due to my taste for economic games.

Not a good start on the reduction goal. :wink:

8 Likes

Got lured in by a sale and picked up Unmatched: Cobble & Fog along with a bunch of RPG books.

5 Likes

Cobble and Fog is a hell of a lot of fun. I am caught with the desire to collect it ALL though…

4 Likes

I do have it all, and want what’s coming. I may have a problem…

1 Like

I’d picked up C&F and the Bruce Lee box initially, and then on account of a good sale towards the end of the year I made the frankly dubious decision (given that I still hadn’t played the game) to buy Robin Hood vs Bigfoot as well. That gives me seven heroes to mix and match, which seems like plenty : )

That could get expensive quickly. Not to mention all the shelf space. BGG already lists 15 titles (some not yet released), and I suspect this is a series they will keep expanding for a long time…

2 Likes

I looked up Star Wars: Epic Duels on BGG to learn a bit more about that (Unmatched being listed as a re-implementation). It’s curious. It sounds like the Star Wars game (released in 2002) was also good, contained a dozen heroes/teams comprising 31 miniatures in that one box, was never expanded, and was discontinued. There was a Transformers-themed version in 2003 with eight characters, and again no expansions. Both of those games had a grid-based maps (with obstacles to move around), which seems like a notable difference to Unmatched; I’m not sure what other differences there might be. It’s interesting how the revised formula with only a handful of heroes per box, but with almost endless expansion potential, seems to be such a hit almost 20 years later. To my mind the lack of a single theme is a big part of the appeal, but it also seems fitting that another big fantasy franchise has now been licensed for the series.

1 Like

Since my wife will be recovering from a tonsillectomy for the actual event, we are semi-celebrating our anniversary this weekend. I got her a concert Blu-ray for her favorite musical artist, and she got me Troyes.

3 Likes

I had Star Wars: Epic Duels. Played it to death for a couple years in college with a few buddies then it mostly sat on a shelf collecting dust for 10 or so years before I finally traded it a couple years before Unmatched was announced. Kinda regret that since Unmatched has taken off, but I had my fun with it and don’t really miss it for itself.

There were definitely lots of teams and battle maps in the box. Han and Chewbacca were my favorite team and I know there were a mix of original and prequel trilogy stuff. I think it came out around the time of the second prequel movie so the maps and teams for the prequels were mostly that one while the original trilogy was more of a mix. I don’t remember all the details as it’s been so long since I really played it.

4 Likes

I very impulsively bought HeroQuest off an EB Games shelf yesterday. I still had a little fun money left from Christmas and hoo boy is that gone. This was mainly bought with family game days in mind, but I found out there’s an app for it, so solo ho!

4 Likes