Last game you bought?

I saw the Firefly: Breakin’ Atmo expansion was on Amazon for around retail price, so picked it up. Now all I am missing is two expansion ships and the Big Damn Heroes promos, I think to have all the content. Anything else is just cosmetic improvements (of which, the Big Money is the most tempting).

3 Likes

My FLGS held a ding-and-dent sale yesterday, which is apparently all it takes to turn me into a Big Damn Spender. Once the dust settled, my bags were heaving with:

• Seal Team Flix
  • Nemo’s War (the rectangular box, not the newest square box)
  • 51st State: Master Set
  • Warfighter: The WWII Tactical Combat Card Game
  • MIstfall: Heart of the Mists
  • Asgard’s Chosen
  • Rome and Roll
  • Viticulture: Moor Visitors Expansion

All the games were 50 percent off or more, and just about every game I picked up had nothing more than slight warping of the box. The only one with significant damage was 51st State, but at an 80% discount I would have bought it wrapped up in a Ziploc bag.

And, as a sort of booster-rocket reward, my purchasing prowess awarded me a selection of 3 new games for free, which netted me Pact, Best Treehouse Ever: Forest of Fun, and Gascony’s Legacy. Looks like my solo dance card will be full for a while!

8 Likes

Oooh. That led to a further blow-out.

I realised another local store was having a sale, and that they had Cobble & Fog notably cheaper, so I did a switcharoo to get the better deal on that, and then made the fatal mistake of looking to see what other deals seemed appealing…

• Telestrations
  • Bohnanza
  • Horrified: Universal Monsters
  • Cthulhu: Death May Die
  • Ticket to Ride: London

Board game retail therapy is in full swing.

(Or maybe retail therapy in general – I’d also ordered a bundle of films from Criterion a few days ago in one of their regular flash sales. I should probably give my bank account a break now!)

7 Likes

I need to buy a lottery ticket or something. I just got informed that I won the grand prize in Rock Manor Games’ AwShux giveaway! So I’ll be getting Lawyer Up, Maximum Apocalypse, and The Few and Cursed. So sometime in December, according to the giveaway page.

Which is nice, as I was too busy to really do anything with AwShux this time around. Barely managed to enter the contests!

7 Likes

I thought I was done buying games for a while, but I just can’t say no to very-low-priced games on BGG auctions.

Silent Victory: U.S. Subs in the Pacific, 1941-45 – the next game in the The Hunters series that I was looking to track down; why, you ask when I already own The Hunters? Well, it’s because I can pronounce U.S. military ranks and technologies, and also because the US Navy is the navy with which I am most familiar (a number of family and friends have been US Navy sailors).

So, clearly being able to pronounce everything in the game is going to make it that much easier to play!

Okay, so maybe not perfectly. But rōmaji is sometimes easier to parse than German compound nouns.

Beneath the Med: Regina Marina at Sea 1940-43 – Okay, pillbox, you already have The Hunters and now Silent Victory, why do you need another one of these games? Well, first, I got both of these for less than the cost of a new copy of just one of them, and that includes paying shipping (which I wouldn’t normally get these days, since I’m not buying enough games to hit free-shipping thresholds). And second, because:

But now we’re strongly back into the realm of “pillbox can’t pronounce any of these things”. That’s okay.

But what’s not okay? How annoying these look lined up next to each other:

9 Likes

Really? I think the money in the base game is more than fine. I haven’t seen the big money irl, but the notes must be huge…

As I understand it the Big Money is sized based on the prop money used in the show. I got all the gameplay improvements and, I admit, the ship-coloured dice, but avoided Big Money and the acrylic tokens.

1 Like

There’s nothing else for it – you’ll just have to buy a matching version of The Hunters too.

Edit: the wonderful potential

1 Like

I think the base money is fine too. Just out of the cosmetic improvements, it’s the one I find most tempting. Acrylic tokens just don’t seem necessary, unless the game gets played to the point that the base cardboard ones are wearing out, but unlike games like Quacks of Quedlinburg or Orleans, where the tokens are constantly being handled, I don’t think that will be an issue with Firefly.

Whereas the money bills are constantly sticking together because they are still so new in my copy, so bigger money is more tempting to me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have NOT also bought the following expansion (which I’m sure is pretty much impossible to get in any case), but holy cow… have you guys seen this?!

I don’t often look at Kickstarter, so I never saw the campaign for this game… that’s mind-boggling.

5 Likes

I ran my sold copy of Deep Space D-6 Armada to my friend yesterday, grabbing Kemet Blood and Sand (Kickstarter bundle with playmat) for another friend. This triggered… a conversation.

Kemet is now mine. :kissing_heart:

7 Likes

And, after all the faff it caused, this has finally turned up! Only took just over a year.

3 Likes

I may possibly … have pre-ordered Art Decko (and 4 Railroad Ink expansions that I am interested in) and Voll verplant (yet another route building roll & write on my never-ending quest to find one that is almost as awesome as Railroad Ink). But the main thing here is Art Decko. Can‘t resist the art. The deckbuilding is a plus.

4 Likes

From what I recall, Lang at one point said they made that as part of a display for conventions and they had so many asking for it had it as a limited pledge level during the campaign.

That eventually become basically unlimited due to demand. I love the game, but I can’t imagine wanting that.

Maybe as a garden “gnome”?

5 Likes

Art Decko is not available for pre-order in the UK.

So I still can’t decide if the cost is worth a punt

1 Like

Has anyone got the Gloomhaven Steam app? Looking at it for £20 as an Xmas present for our youngest.

He loves the game, but it’s always a potch to get it on the table. Thinking he could solo, or he and I could hot seat and it would get played far more because of not having to set it up (plus I assume saving mid game is an option)

1 Like

There was a short discussion on this here the other day :slight_smile:
I have got it and wrote some stuff about it…

I knew I’d seen something. Thanks

1 Like

My goodness, that’s lovely.

The only part I didn’t love about opening this was the fact that, rather than shrink-wrap, there were four large clear circular stickers holding the box closed. They were the sort that usually comes off cleanly (and they did), but the idea of one of them tearing the surface of such a beautiful box was indeed a little horrifying.

I promised myself that Death May Die would be first out of the gate, though; so this will have to wait a little…

Edit: I’ve only just realised that it’s Halloween, and I’ve purchased Horrified, Death May Die, and Cobble & Fog : )

14 Likes

The place where we played D&D today has the rule that, rather than paying to use the space, you just need to buy something worth at least £2.50

I grabbed Infinity Gauntlet, the Marvel reinterpretation of Love Letter.

5 Likes