Last game you bought?

I just picked up Oceans. Funny, Evolution was always a middling meh. SUSD first mentioned it (Oceans) on a podcast where Matt was saying he really liked it, but that was at least a year ago.

I’m basically done collecting (for at least a few years) but I had one last Boardlandia coupon and then I saw Matt’s review. The Ocean (IRL) is basically my thing, so I said hey, let’s do this.

And holy cow - for one, REALLY good game. What Matt said is true - the Deep deck is varied and creative and nearly every card you draw your eyes go wide and the brain starts spinning on how you can build your ecosystem around it. But also I can tell just how much love went into the game. Both the variety and the tight pruning that went in to eliminate anything extraneous, the art, the little touches. Thick pages in the manual, a stunning painting for the bottom of the box. Just holding it makes me feel like I’m a part of something significant.

There’s nothing better than an impulse buy that turns out better than you could have hoped.

10 Likes

This is probably on my list for the next „lets make sure FLGS survives the pandemic“ order excuse. I also got a recommendation from a friend and a partner who likes all the sea creatures.

3 Likes

It certainly left an impression on me after one play. @Acacia shares a lot of the same feelings I had coming away from my game of it.

1 Like

I’ve actually moved Oceans to my trade/sell pile. I didn’t find it worked well at 2, at least not for us. It was too easy to coast so the Deep cards always come out late game, which made every game feel very similar.

I admit it being an “us” problem to an extent. We tried pushing for them sooner, but that didn’t feel like how I wanted to play that game.

That said, I know we’re in the minority as most seem to really enjoy it.

Edit: when I say it’s an “us” problem, I mean that we generally won’t be aggressive (mean) in games that don’t force it. Give me a DOAM or skirmish and I’ll fight tooth and nail, but I’m more care bear when I play euro games.

8 Likes

I grabbed Hidden Thorns for Black Rose Wars this afternoon after a bit of a garage sale with some trade paperback comics I wasn’t going to be returning to. This after just one round of play this morning (in my defense this “completes” the base set rather than expands it).

Then again I also immediately noticed why minis would make for a better experience here, and that I can get the full set of 'em for about $75. I do have a birthday coming up… kind of soon?

2 Likes

Couldnt resist a couple of games on clearance: Space Gate Odyssey, Broadhorns, and Beta Colony

1 Like

What player count have you played at? I’m so tempted by Black Rose Wars, and SVWAG hasn’t helped that, lol.

I am curious about the upcoming Black Rose Wars Rebirth. There’s basically no info though…

Technically I haven’t played it at any player count yet, but so far just my partner and I. I’ve got gaming friends interested or even with a copy of the game, so I’m hopeful I’ll be able to get it played in full MP mode as well.

Hard to make much of an assessment of anything yet, but I’ll say this: We both made huge mistakes (in our cardplay, not the rules) on our first turns, and I’m confident that’ll keep happening for our first go around. It’s a LOT to take in.

1 Like

I bought Space Gate Odyssey on a whim when it released. Moved it along fairly quickly afterwards, but only because we found issues with the game (particularly with the way it scores at endgame) at two players.

I thought it was a nice, mechanical little puzzle though. Hope you get some fun from it!

1 Like

Got my copy of Equinox by Knizia/Plan B Games.

Plan B’s reprint is pretty as you would expect from them. But box size is larger than FFG’s Colossal Arena

EDIT: at least they kept the theme of fantasy creatures having a tournament.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Oceans fanclub :slight_smile:

That is an interesting strategy that I have not come across. I admit in my games I always push for the Cambrian expansion to happen as soon as possible. Have you tried not having so many fish on the first ocean box (the Cambrian explosion one) when you set up? That way you can still cover its effects (when it has already happened) with migrations, and include another back and forwards mechanic in the game…

5 Likes

No, we haven’t tried that. It would likely happen faster, but we rarely migrate and just build up foragers and go that route.

Part of the issue is that because the game doesn’t force you to be aggressive, we don’t play that way. I enjoy many aggressive games, but typically not euro games; I’m often of the “don’t touch my stuff” mindset in euro games.

I don’t think it’s a bad game, just not for us.

Going further, I sometimes wonder if it’s more about the engine building genre, as Res Arcana fell pretty flat for us as well. Not sure if you listen to Dice Tower but if you ever hear Mike Dilisio talk about RA, he shares my feelings almost exactly; it’s a fine game that is completely unexciting. Oceans is kind of in that same space for us.

3 Likes

Res Arcana fell flat for me as well, which is a game I played exclusively at 2. Oceans I played with 5 and the paranoia from potential leeching etc. was absolutely palpable if not universally utilized (as just one example). It might simply be a(nother) case of 2P not being optimized or otherwise changing the dynamic significantly.

3 Likes

For sure. I definitely think it’s a game that suffers at 2, which is 99% of our gaming and for the few times we play 3+ I’d rather play something else.

1 Like

Well, first off, that’s cool. There’s enough games (and enough in my basement) that it’s almost a relief when one doesn’t hit.

So not to change your mind, more just anecdote for conversation: this sounds like me and Istanbul. It is a fine game. I played 4-5 rounds with the same opponent (2p) and thought, well, I liked that, but I think I’ve seen all it has to offer. I’m getting bored.

Then I got the app and the Hard AI started kicking me to the curb. I’m not used that; I usually shoot straight for Hard and still win (though I have to work for it). I had to start watching the AI’s turns to see what it was doing. Predictably, I learned that there were several other viable strategies and paths to victory, the meta opened up in all these new directions, and then the game went back to the keep list.

All to say, IF you wanted to change your mind about Oceans, you may just need to play with some other opponents. They may take a different approach to the game, forcing you into new directions and opening up the game.

And I agree, two players running Filter / Whale Cleaners where the only real game is in keeping the Reef full sounds dull as dull.

3 Likes

I may have acquired an inexpensive and hopefully complete and mostly unused copy of Through the Desert on Ebay Kleinanzeigen.
Also, Tigris and Euphrates is starting to get expensive even the old copies. I should really get on that the next time I see a cheap one… 30€ is too much.

Then I traded my (unplayed :grimacing:) copy of Teotihuacan on BGG for Yamatai which should arrive sometime this week.

4 Likes

I think I bought my 2nd hand T&E for around £30

3 Likes

Well, my purchase limit goal is not looking great. But, for context, by this time last year, I had added 106 new games and 117 new expansions.

Additionally, a surprise-late comer has decided to join me prior to the conclusion of spring Kickstarter Fulfillment Season

First up, Kickstarter!

• Luzon Rails – shipped direct from Ireland in a padded envelope… and that envelope cost me €25.5, to ship a game I paid less than €30 for. Still, it’s a lovely production and I do like to support indie designers. Also: is it possible to have too many cube rails games? Maybe. And, yeah, I probably could have bought two Capstone Games Iron Rails series games for what I paid for this one…

Then, a couple of games I picked up secondhand!

• Hallertau – Do I need another Rosenburg game? No, no I do not. But this one has gotten so much press and praise, I couldn’t pass up a really good offer.

• The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 – Any good secondhand game purchase deserves a game to bundle along with it, to cut down on per-game-postage-fees. When SUSD released their solo game roundup, my big take-away was: “Ooooh, Aerion looks good!” (and it is!), but my second take-away was: Tom didn’t like The Hunted (the sequel to The Hunters)… so… I probably would. And The Hunters is allegedly a kinder/gentler game than The Hunted. When it comes to wargames, I think I definitely prefer the tactical sort; as much as I want to have a head for grand strategy, I just don’t (and never have). This particular copy was a 1st edition printing with a 2nd edition rulebook printed in black&white on someone’s printer, but also with a 3rd edition upgrade kit included from GMT games. This sort of game (among others) is one of the reasons I want to build a gaming table with a vault – this is the kind of game I want to be able to setup and revisit for a couple of minutes here and there throughout my workday; perhaps making a move, or perhaps just taking another look at the situation so my brain can properly percolate on the issue at hand. Will this type of solo play actually work for me? Well, I guess I’ll have to build a table to find out.

pillbox’s 2021 Purchase Tracker as of 2021-05-18: 10.9

Tracker
  • Codename: Fifteen (0.1)
  • (KS) 1860: Railways on the Isle of Wight
  • Anachrony: Infinity Box
  • (KS) Bucket of Bolts / Artefact (0.1 each)
  • 18OE (Codename: Easterly Alacrity)
  • Northern Pacific (Codename: Boreal Pacifism)
  • (KS) 18Magyarország
  • Vast: Crystal Caverns (Codename: Dark Shiny) (0.1)
  • (KS) Root: Marauder’s Expansion (0.1)
  • (KS) John Company
  • (KS) Empyreal: Far Corners (0.1)
  • The Networks
  • Fields of Arle: Tea & Trade (0.1)
  • Seasons of Inis (0.1)
  • Lords of Xidit
  • Hallertau [NEW]
  • The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 [NEW]
  • (KS) Rail Barons of the World (0.1) [NEW]
7 Likes

I took home Aliens: Another Glorious Day in the Corps yesterday, along with the assets pack (papa needed his eggs n’ turrets). This brings my collection to a even 30 once again, and reinstates the hard freeze on new titles.

3 Likes

I’ve really been liking what I’ve seen of Nidavellir, so it should be arriving on my doorstep tomorrow.

5 Likes