Last game you bought?

My Kickstarter expansion and component upgrades for **lords of Vegas ** arrived looks pretty swish and can see the storage being useful as a means of holding parts during the game.

8 Likes

Got Manoeuvre + Distant Lands expansion for a very good price.

Preordered Nidavellir (choo choo?) and got the promo from eBay.

Also a game called Nefertiti + expansion which had good reception from Hidden Gems podcast.

5 Likes

EDIT: game names wrong way round - thanks to the below posters!

Had been hunting a copy of Whitehall Mystery for a while when I can across a cheap copy of Letters from Whitechapel. For the price I thought Iā€™d better pick it up, I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen a copy of either.

From what I understand Whitechapel sounds like the more involved game, but has quite a long run time while Whitehall streamlines everything, cutting down the run time but also some interesting parts of the game. If the group enjoys Whitechapel and can see me picking up Whtehall too at some point.

Also got Mr Jack goes to New York in the same purchase. Wasnā€™t intending to, but the two were offered together.

3 Likes

It seems I forgot to log that I picked up Black Rose Wars late last week. I have to say, Iā€™m really quite impressed with the retail package. Itā€™s not a game I wanted the minis for, and the token replacements seem decently comprehensive with respect to the gameplay offered in the retail box as compared to the KS base (stretch box(es) notwithstanding).

Sadly it appears that some of the cooler expansion content comes part-and-parcel with a glut of miniatures, but Iā€™m guessing I wonā€™t feel the need to expand this one too far anyway. Furthermore thereā€™s some pretty excellent PnP stuff available if I decide I want to pursue solo play, which is pretty neat.

Anyway, Iā€™ve already gone through the rules and the core loop is more straightforward than I had come to expect. It seems the true weight of the game comes largely from the card play, events and quests, which was great to see. How that ends up playing out might be another story.

Whether this one sticks around will depend heavily on my partnerā€™s interest; thereā€™s a lot on offer here that would really push her buttons, but itā€™s also a long game that will require a few plays to really dig inā€¦ hereā€™s hoping. [I do have a few interested (and one invested) folks in my group once thatā€™s a thing again.]

(Thankfully) the art assets are incredibly sparse, with the design leaning heavily into the ornate decorative elements and letting the spell descriptions stand on their own. This was presumably done to place heavier focus on the models, but I appreciate the decision just the same. The result is already a bit noisy, so slathering art all over everything would really muddy the view.

Anyway, thatā€™s a lot said for a quick read through the manual, but suffice it to say that Iā€™m pretty hot to get this tabled. [And oh my, what a table when itā€™s laid out!]

2 Likes

I think youā€™ve mixed up the two there (we do it all the time)

Letters from Whitechapel is the 3-hour long marathon of the net slowly closing in. (red box)

Whitehall Mystery is the 45 minute chase accross London. (blue box)

2 Likes

You have those backwards. Letters from Whitechapel is the longer game with four ā€œnightsā€ of gameplay, meaning unless the investigators find Jack early on, there will be four setups of the game, essentially, just with the investigators ideally having an idea of where Jack will be running after each kill as the nights progress.

Whitehall Mystery is the more streamlined and shorter game, with no stopping of gameplay to set everything back up. Investigators know when Jack has placed a new body part and since he has to get to four particular areas of the map, they can try to restrict his movement options as the game goes on.

Both games are great, imo, but Whitehall is probably the better game overall.

ninjaā€™d

2 Likes

Ha, I actually had the post written out and thought Iā€™d got the names the wrong way round so swappedā€¦ Should have stuck with my gut! I knew Iā€™d picked up the longer playing game at least! Is it 3 hours minimum or is it highly dependent on the group size and dynamic?

I think you have those the wrong way round.

Blue Box - shorter, smaller

Red Box - bigger, larger

1 Like

Iā€™ve played Whitehall a few times, but Iā€™d like to try the larger/longer game one day.

3 Likes

I got both of them just before the pandemic and we played the larger one once with two and it was quite fun for me running awayā€¦ I think we broke off when my partner lost track of me just before I reached the final spot I had to go to. There were debatesā€¦ so far we havenā€™t touched Mystery which remains on my shelf of opportunity :wink:

2 Likes

Whale Riders, and Whale Riders the Card Game. Nearly bought them on KS, and since these will be the last Knizia titles from this publisher, I thought why not.

5 Likes

11 Likes

I want the black and blue ones. Which expansion is that?

3 Likes

The Engineering expansion, I believe

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a lot of Railroad Ink.

2 Likes

It sure is! :grin:

1 Like

Ooh me too! The entire thing is far too big for a small game like Railroad Ink, but itā€™s very lovely. I wouldnā€™t recommend anyone devote so much space to the game unless they love it already. Iā€™m very happy with the big box of toys, and looking forward to playing more Railroad Ink, as itā€™s one of the first roll+writes I played and still my favourite.

5 Likes

KSFS continues with the Star Realms expansions that were thrown in to Epic. Originally forecast for July 2020. In spite of the fact that I have the Great Big Box of Everything, my default Star Realms game continues to be Frontiersā€¦

Thatā€™s probably it for this KSFS for me. Next up in forecast date is Rallyman Dirt at the end of July (and they have warned about manufacturing delays but not got specific yet).

2 Likes

Took a bit of a punt on Terminator: Dark Fate since it was a bit over a tenner delivered rather than the usual Ā£25-Ā£30. Coop deckbuilder, BGG says best as a solo.

(Still there on River Horse if anyone else fancies it.)

5 Likes

Statistically speaking, thatā€™s probably a bad-to-middling game, but I am absolutely loving the box!

3 Likes