Hybrids that you would want to see

Just brought up from @yashima post about Eclipse or Xia

https://discussion.tekeli.li/t/eclipse-or-xia/2581/35

What hybrid or mix ups of two games would you want to see being made?

Even if it is just adding them together and dividing the game in phases

3 Likes

Sherlock Homes: Constulting Detective Vs Battlestar Galactica

If you don’t get the correct result on the mystery, things start breaking, and the cylons get closer…

2 Likes

On the old forums I proposed trying to work up Mysterium/The Resistance (maybe I stole the idea from a passing remark by SU&SD), but someone pointed out that this was basically Deception: Murder in Hong Kong and therefore already existed. :slight_smile:

Maybe something combining Sagrada and Onitama: when you capture a piece you arrange it in your scoring array.

2 Likes

During discussions of Fortune and Glory alongside our recent pbf game (here), I mentioned how I would love to see a space themed version, ideally using the 1930s-envisaged pulp Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers settings. Playing the recent Firefly pbf (here) has come pretty close to what I was looking for - however I feel that the Danger/Cliffhanger cards from FanG add more to the players’ microstories than Firefly’s Misbehave cards, so that would be a good replacement of game mechanics for me.

2 Likes

I posted a while ago on the old SUSD forum about how I had a dream about receiving a copy of a Firefly retheme of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. I doubt I’ve ever been more disappointed waking from a dream.

I’ve also been contemplating putting 18xx games in the blender with my career, and trying to develop a 18xx-but-telecommunications-instead-of-trains. There are a lot of parallels between early telecommunications and railway development… But telecoms have continued to evolve for the last 200 years, whereas trains have kind of stagnated.

3 Likes

No, that’s just Thameslink.

4 Likes

I can think of a few bullet trains from Japan getting really upset by that stagnation comment…

1 Like

Would be still 18XX? Would you start it from cable times and Morse code? Or more like 1940s onwards?

1 Like

So, this?

1 Like

I have thought about implementing the train rush concept into an area control. So it’s literally an arms race, where obsolete units would either be gone or reduced in strength.

2 Likes

Bullet trains have been a thing for close to 50 years.

Telegram → Telegraph → Telephone → BBS → (multiple generations of) Dial-up → (multiple generations of) Broadband → Cellular → 2G → 3G → 4G → 5G

In the US, it would likely feature mergers and patent ownership in addition to the actual infrastructure built on the board.

Other settings may warrant different emphases.

1 Like

Eldritch Horror’s travelling around the world and killing monsters and stuff mixed with Gloomhaven’s hand management combat.

3 Likes

X-wing (or insert your template maneuver game of choice here) the dexterity (flicking) game.

[EDIT] I realized I’m describing several existing games. I’m talking flicking for everything, using templates to allow for cool bank turns, etc. I’m a have to make this.

3 Likes