Emojis: scourge on society, or a threat to all we hold dear?

I have to say that I am so bad at figuring out what an emoji is meant to convey that I don’t expect them to mean anything, and I have largely ceased to see them. I can figure out the significance of a heart with a number, but once past that I’m at a loss.

5 Likes

:sauropod:

2 Likes

And proud of it!

3 Likes

In a more serious response, my biggest problem with emojis as responses is the overwhelming number of emojis, which would prevent anything short of an entire emoji-based language from really forming a meaningful and nuanced shorthand.

2 Likes

And that’s a brilliant example of what I was just saying about icons. I see from the composition box that that’s an apatosaurus or something, but what emotional reaction is it meant to convey? (And I wouldn’t have gotten that it was an apatosaurus if I hadn’t seen the word “sauropod” in my reply. It looks like a weird green squiggle . . .)

2 Likes

You have been called old-fashioned, Bill; a dinosaur.

2 Likes

But dinos are cool!

:man_singer:

2 Likes

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Please get rid of the 20 character minimum, and (later) do we like likes? and (later) “emojis, what are they good for?”

A post was merged into an existing topic: Please get rid of the 20 character minimum, and (later) do we like likes? and (later) “emojis, what are they good for?”

That appears to be a sailor serving with the UN who has been shot in the face. What is it supposed to be?

2 Likes

I think it is a homage to Bowie, but I could be wrong… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Did Jim Bowie wear a pale blue beret?

If you look closely, the hair is blue, no beret.

Microphones came after Jim Bowie.

1 Like

Okay, so it’s a person with yellow skin and sky-blue hair, wearing a sailor-suit, who appears to have been shot in the face. I find the suggestion of a shooting at a Japanese high-school a more obvious interpretation than an early-Seventies glam rocker.

But okay, accepting that it is supposed to be Ziggy Stardust: what does that mean in context? Is it another icon for Bill’s being way behind the fashions?

1 Like

I also haven’t seen any zig-zag facial wounds caused by shootings before, and you still seem to be ignoring the microphone, but hey, I see no real problem with the “shooting at a Japanese high-school” interpretation. Emojis can be ignored just like any other non-sequitur in forum discussions.

2 Likes

Is that a zig-zag? I guess I’d have to enlarge the image to make that out.

So. Zig-zag facial wound. Is it Harry Potter? Is the thing I took for a gun-barrel a wand?

1 Like

Testing to see if this works:

2 Likes

Further info: https://emojipedia.org/man-singer/ (amusingly it seems that Whatsaspp went with Prince instead of Bowie)

It seems Discourse uses the Twitter versions of emojis.

1 Like

:dagger: yes, no real Bowie knives on emoji yet, one has to go for the White Duke instead…

2 Likes

Righto. Now that it is enlarged I can see that it is a person with yellow skin and pale blue hair, with a large red zig-zag mark on his or her face, addressing a microphone. I wouldn’t make the connection to glam rock or to David Bowie unprompted. And I still don’t understand what “Glam rocker” is supposed to mean in the context. I got that the dinosaur was telling @whswhs that he is hopelessly old-fashioned. Is Bowie supposed to repeat the statement?

3 Likes