Please get rid of the 20 character minimum, and (later) do we like likes? and (later) "emojis, what are they good for?"

I like the “hearts” we use here as a more encompassing response than a “like” that you can use without qualms even when someone posts a stressed post in the parenting thread, for example.

I am definitely opposed to the idea of expanding the icon list to include more possible responses. Hearts only, thanks. If there’s anything more you want to say, do it with text.

7 Likes

Yes to all of the above

1 Like

Jokes aside, I like a bit of boundaries, so I am easy. These forums are amazing, a minor change like the 20 characters will not bother me enough to stop lurking and posting now and then.

The likes, I like. In a platform like the online forums, they fulfill a non-verbal function like emojis. If people are really craving them… well, post more stuff people will like! :smiley: Just kidding.

2 Likes

I have no strong preference one way or the other.

1 Like

I like likes.

Do likes like me? I like to think so.

1 Like

Likely :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I don’t like likes and the like because I disliked the way they performed and the effect [I thought] they had on the community on the HERO Games forums. Likes, the calculation and display of ranks based on the total of likes, and the formation of cliques of like-minded reciprocal-likers led to the erection of a hierarchy of regard that deterred newcomers and repulsed (a) infrequent posters and (b) people who actually discussed games rather than indulging in karma-whoring banter, the regurgitation of catchphrases, and baiting politico-cultural out-groups.

But when I joined here the instructions urged me to use “likes” because (they said) they are an important part of the way the software is meant to function. So I use them — I am no truculent nihilist. Just two things:

1. I would object, and perhaps even depart, if “likes received”, “replies posted”, “date joined”, or any sort of rank calculated from them were displayed with posters names. I hate class systems. I felt a nasty pang about the “moderator” badge, but I reluctantly accept that it is a necessary evil.
  1. I am troubled by the fact that when I look at the list of my top replies none of the six best-liked posts I have posted is about games or the podcast. Whatever the “like” system is functioning to promote, discussion of the forum topic doesn’t seem to be it. (But then, I enjoy the by-chat. I have missed it since it either got banned or became viperous on the other forums that I used to frequent. I want it to continue, but probably not to be used for whatever purpose Discourse needs to have “likes”.)

You watch. This reply is going to get more “likes” than any other I have posted.

10 Likes

88 posts were split to a new topic: Emojis: scourge on society, or a threat to all we hold dear?

To summarize my thoughts about the actual thread:

I think we should lower the limit to 5.

If spammy, low-value comments become problematic:

Reassess the setting

:cool:

1 Like

But… count the characters in “me too”

6 at least… :man_shrugging: :

I would like a “yes” or “no” to be a valid response, or even a “1” for some games.

1 Like

1 Like

Right, because having to do that isn’t annoying at all - eye roll emoji or something like that.

3 Likes

And that is bad.

What we want is to be about to post “1” without unnecessary faffing about when, for example, “1” is a play in a game. “d4” is a valid opening in a game of chess; adding characters to make it a valid post to the forums is a problem, not the solution.

2 Likes

:one:

:arrow_up: is 5 characters

In actuality, I’m not against removing the limit entirely

1 Like

Oh, God, this is quiet now…

1 Like

I did have a joke to post here, but I can’t because some bloody-minded filter wonders whether it’s a complete sentence and does not accept my assurance that it is okay.

Humour is dead.

3 Likes

I guess we should drain all its humors in preparation for burial then.

3 Likes

Wait, there’s a grammar filter?

Apparently.

lorem ipsum

lorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet consectetur adipisci[ng]velit, sed quia non-numquam [do] eius modi tempora inci[di]dunt, ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum[d] exercitationem ullam corporis suscipitlaboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit, qui inea voluptate velit esse, quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum, qui dolorem eum fugiat, quo voluptas nulla pariatur? [33] At vero eos et accusamus et iusto odio dignissimos ducimus, qui blanditiis praesentium voluptatum deleniti atque corrupti, quos dolores et quas molestias excepturi sint, obcaecati cupiditate non-provident, similique sunt in culpa, qui officia deserunt mollitia animi, id est laborum et dolorum fuga. Et harum quidem rerum facilis est et expedita distinctio. Nam libero tempore, cum soluta nobis est eligendi optio, cumque nihil impedit, quo minus id, quod maxime placeat, facere possimus, omnis voluptas assumenda est, omnis dolor repellendus. Temporibus autem quibusdam et aut officiis debitis aut rerum necessitatibus saepe eveniet, ut et voluptates repudiandae sint et molestiae non-recusandae. Itaque earum rerum hic tenetur a sapiente delectus, ut aut reiciendis voluptatibus maiores alias consequatur aut perferendis doloribus asperiores repellat…

1 Like