Please get rid of the 20 character minimum, and (later) do we like likes? and (later) "emojis, what are they good for?"

It might make sense for a discussion forum, but for many play by forum threads it is just an annoyance.

1 Like

My general feeling is that it’s helpful to cut down on “me too” replies, but I am open to persuasion.

1 Like

Can it be differentially applied on a thread-by-thread basis?
(e.g. 20 char minimum is in effect unless the person who posted the thread turns it off)

1 Like

I would prefer a tweak to perhaps 15

1 Like

Still, in various games, you will have situations where it is absolutely fine to post 2 or 3 character replies, and I see no reason to make people pad it out, whether to 15 or 20.

1 Like

It adds a nuisance cost to “me too” replies, discouraging them.

It adds a nuisance cost to many succinct gameplay posts. Do you want to discourage those?

I can add padding to my "me too"s as easily as to my witty quips and chess moves.

3 Likes

as, I believe, can I.
(if I can be bothered)

1 Like

Alas, it cannot; there’s just a single site-wide setting.

2 Likes

faaaaaaaaaair enough.
(sorry)

1 Like

Suggestion: change it from 20 to some lower number, like 5, at an unspecified future time without telling anyone. Then monitor how many annoying ‘me too’ messages appear during a test period like a fortnight. Then decide whether to put it back to 20.

7 Likes

Yes

This text will be blurred

1 Like

I agree.

Remaining yr most humble servant and most faithful friend, with much fond anticipation of your next correspondence and fonder still of your next visit,
InkyBloc

2 Likes

Indeed

2 Likes

Me too

(I love seeing what people pad their responses with)

Ooh, you cheeky little minx. Love it! :smiley:

1 Like

Pretty much anything involving code works.

The dog is good

I didn’t realize it was as high as 20. The other Discourse forum I frequent it’s 5 characters and it’s still obnoxious. (They’ve also disabled likes…well, hidden them…as part of a philosophical objection to the entire idea that I wholeheartedly agree with, and there’s still no real issue with me too posting. Here, that’s still an option if that’s the sentiment you want to express.)

(Would you rather I don’t like your posts @malkav11? Or is it the whole concept of likes?)

I think the idea of promoting much-liked posts so that they’re what other people see would be quite pernicious, but Discourse doesn’t do that; I tend to use likes to say “yeah, that’s a good post, but I don’t have anything more specific to add to that sentiment, so let’s tick this box rather than posting a variation on ‘I like this post’”.

11 Likes