Cream Tea - Jam or Cream first on scones?

“scoon”, in the Scottish style? That should offend everybody.

I always watch that video and say everything looks good and my wife has to remind me that everything in it (maybe the titular kebab excepted) looks absolutely terrible.

I would eat and probably enjoy everything in this video.

2 Likes

That’s my stance but it’s possible I have some form of Stockholm Syndrome from watching it a million times.

1 Like

I just go with roll. I don’t think I’ve ever used anything else. But then what words/pronunciations I use are a mash-up of various dialects …

1 Like

That’s a bap to me. Largely because of a line in Grunts. The general term would be “white roll”, but it doesn’t seem to be any of the specific kinds of those.

As for the scones: butter, jam, cream, or if butter is not being served, cream then jam. The point is to avoid moisture from the jam making the scone fall apart, as good ones are prone to do.

1 Like

Grew up in the Midlands and have at various points lived in the North East, South West and East/South East of England. Don’t even know what my accent is any more :laughing:

1 Like

I did the opposite. Grew up in Bristol, then moved to Leicester (and have now lived here longer).

Another big component is that my mum’s side of the family are all from London, but then moved around a lot - including a stint in Lancashire, where she was sent to elocution lessons so she didn’t develop a local accent :open_mouth:

2 Likes

I grew up in Derbyshire but wanted to be barrister so my mum worked really hard to stop me getting a real Derbyshire accent. If you listen to my brothers and I talk, you wouldnt know we were related

3 Likes

White bap. If it’s a roll I’m expecting a lot more crispyness

I done the same the opportunity to have one every day was too good to miss.

1 Like

Maybe some people rhyme “cone” with “con”? Ok maybe a little far fetched. I mean if you’re really posh you’d probably say “scorn” instead of either of the other options.

And by the way I used to be a “well duh noobs obviously cream first because it’s the more buttery substance {snort} :nerd_face:” person UNTIL I ACTUALLY TRIED IT THE OTHER WAY ROUND and then oh my god some magical alchemy happened and now frankly my entire world has been turned upside down. I’ll be trying to spread bread on my butter next.

5 Likes

I am just about recovering from seeing jam and cream on a fruited scone. Heathens, the lot of you. Butter on a fruit scone. Butter and jam, or jam and cream if you absolutely must, on a plain scone.
Tsk.

This reminds me of a special sandwich somebody I worked with in Mansfield brought to work sometimes. A buttered cob, filled with sausage rolls and a thick slice of spam, sometimes even chips would go in as well.

Decadent, but filling. You just needed one of those to keep going all day.

1 Like

At that point your butler is probably the one applying the cream and jam / jam and cream :laughing:

3 Likes

It doesn’t rhyme with either.

“Cone” rhymes -əʊn

“Gone” rhymes -ɔːn

“Scone” rhymes -ɒn

1 Like

My mum also prevented me and my sister from developing the Derbyshire accent.

Apparently we were always complimented on how well we spoke at Parents evenings.

1 Like

I sometimes think I’ve reverted back to a super Derbyshire accent. But since moving down here I’ve had people say I sound posh but also people say it sounds like I grew up here.

1 Like

Quite the reverse of the actual situation. “Scon” is insufferably posh and would likely have resulted in a good kicking at my school.

Cream is a topping, not some sort of foundational layer. The fact that cream floats to the top of milk demonstrates this fundamental truth.

The bread roll is properly termed a bap, allowing for such traditional ooh-err-missus/Carry On/70s comedy moments as stopping for a bite on a hike and telling your partner to get her baps out.

4 Likes

It is, has always been, and shall henceforth always be known as a cob

2 Likes