Container #1 - Recruitment, Discussion and Play-by-Post

Board Game Barrage were saying that this game allows you to make terrible mistakes.

I know you guys that have played before are trying to work out how to run this thing, but before we start any minor advice would be greatly appreciated!

Can I check - when you sell a container to another player, is that price fixed, or can you negotiate?

1 Like

I’m not sure if it would work, but in the Flamme Rouge PBF we use hidden text

Captbnut bids 4 cards

5, 2, 2, 0

It does have the disadvantage of accidentally clicking on the text, but it keeps everything on the main thread

1 Like

Happy with either option.

I have never played container before.

1 Like

Ah. You seem to know what you’re talking about

1 Like

I’ve read the rules and watched the review which does a great job of explaining the rules.

2 Likes

I like the idea of PMing bids and stating denominations. It retains the “pageantry” of it without requiring any actual bill management. Because yes, bills are freely exchanged with the bank.

As for beginner tips, KEEP CASH ON HAND. Early loans can ruin you, and being cash poor leaves you entirely at the mercy of the other players. This is tough at the beginning as you need to build your base and produce. Striking your first auction is a critical choice in timing and pure necessity.

[EDIT] I’ll add more general tips as I think of stuff.

• DON’T be afraid to run to the island with a less-than-full boat. Early game it can provide an important cash injection.
  • DON’T go too nuts with expansion right out of the gate. A single extra machine and/or warehouse can take you a long way.
  • DO take careful note of all players’ starting machine colours. Players may only ever have one machine of a given colour, so each time you add a machine, you are choosing the player(s) with whom you will directly compete.
  • DO try to hold out on being first to the island. Auctions provide key information about what colours players are vying for, so the first boat to the island is going in pretty blind. However, DON’T be too worried if the first boat is you, just expect more of a crapshoot result. Cash rules everything.
4 Likes

Nor have I!

1 Like

The blind leading the blind then!

2 Likes

:sunglasses:
What could possibly go wrong?

2 Likes

I’m adding little general tips as I can in the above post, as a heads up. Baby be fussin’.

2 Likes

I’ve converted the second post in this thread to a Wiki post. We can use that to track the game state. For now, anybody wanting to play please add your name there.

2 Likes

1 spot left!

1 Like

Also, I’m not planning on using the investment bank add on.

Plus I must ask all of the players.

Who last captained a container ship?

I was going to ask about the bank. I’ve watched the Heavy Cardboard teach up to that point so I think I’m good to go without it.

I have never captained a container ship. I have been on a ferry, a rowing boat and have fallen off a punt though.

1 Like

Not a lot of boats around where I live here in Kansas.

Last boat I was on (and happened to be driving) was a pontoon boat during a vacation to Wisconsin back in 2015

2 Likes

I will leave this open until tomorrow. Having four players add an extra dimension to production…

Oops, sorry my bad, count me in!

2 Likes

Hooray!

Ok. I will probably start a new thread!

2 Likes

Apart from your Roads and Boats collection, that is…

2 Likes

See you in… Container - Game 1

3 Likes