Container #1 - Recruitment, Discussion and Play-by-Post

Better?

1 Like

What other issues do we need to deal with?

Honestly it all looks pretty good to me. The one major consideration on the table is how we handle cash. Open seems the simplest solution, but then we need to adjust the bidding at auction.

Open cash sounds good.

Can you explain the issue with bidding?

Well, the auctions are blind bids with a simultaneous reveal. If we have no bills and open info, the blind bid becomes a bit of a dog and pony show.

I’m going to suggest that the pageantry of the $0 bid cards is required for a simultaneous auction where, due to the banal limitations of physical components, bids will not actually be made at the same time. I don’t think they are required for play-by-post, necessarily

Hmm.

So are we forgoing cards entirely?

I arrive at the island with my ship, everyone PMs me bids.

I then reveal all the bids.

I don’t recall: are there different denominations? If so, are they freely exchangeable?

That’s what I have to check.

Shall I post a rule book?

I’ve been meaning to get my anniversary edition out but haven’t had a chance yet (because it’s enormous)

1 Like

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2033127/making-change

1 Like

My interpretation is that denominations may be freely exchanged (I think I remember this from watching Heavy Cardboard play). And, again, i think the primary purpose of having the different denominations is to obscure the amount of funds a player holds.

It really seems the designer wanted cash to be a mystery; the only suggestion I have for enabling the same effect here is to encourage players to not focus too much on how much money everybody has

I would suggest we pm bids following the denomination allowed.

For example I I wanted to bid 6 I would send that bid as a pm, saying Bid, $2 $2 $2 $0 =$6

Coupled with a @RossM had bid (4 cards) in the game thread.

3 Likes

Is that how the auctions work? The player arriving at the island doesn’t bid in the auction, but then had the opportunity to match/ beat the highest bid?

1 Like

Exactly, so they can be in charge of the auction.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea. Do we need to announce we are making change? Maybe artificially adding a bit of the pageantry will help?

Sorry, I’ve just read how the first player is chosen. Brilliant.

1 Like

I did laugh!

The thing is we will be making change all the time to buy things or pay off interest. Although I will be spicing up my bids.

@RossM bids with 4 cards. Although I promise you all my total bid is only 2… :grinning: