Champion of the Wild - April 2021

Ah, it’s a good question. I imagine the cart as a wheeled cart that can be pulled in parallel to the water lane.

Could we have trained with a small floating boat in place of a wheeled cart. Yes, yes we could have but… we made our choices.

1 Like

For both @VictorViper and @GabrielH how much sand could each animal move per trip?

I can fully imagine a narwhal and hippo As strong animals and being able to move large amounts of sand but an otter surely would struggle to move more than a cup of sand at a time?

1 Like

…if you put a small boat above it, shark gonna shark.

3 Likes

So, an otter weighs (according to the card) about 50-60 pounds. That’s already about half of my weight! Still, carrying heavy objects isn’t really their wheelhouse. Dragging, however, is a different matter. I can drag about 3000 pounds with a pallet-jack, which comes to about a 26:1 ratio of load to worker. Bringing that ratio to an otter gets about 1500 pounds of dragging power? Of course that’s different in water, but even a tenth of that is still quite significant. I’m sure she’d be able to move something at least the size of one of those plastic storage bins.

And whereas the underwater creatures would significantly reduce their hydrodynamics with their loads, my on-top-of-the-water athlete will be able to do so without with minimal drag!

Since we have water lanes available, I am sure the organisers provide waterproof sandbags.

I plan on sharing the load pretty equally here. Once the sled gets momentum, Steve can tow a surprising amount, but it’s true he won’t have the raw “torque” to get moving without his pack. To that end, I’ll be helping get us moving at each end of the track. To answer the question directly: assuming “standard issue” sandbags, I’m guessing 30 per trip.

We’ve been doing burpees all week leading up to this, we can do it.

My husband says he’d vote for the otter. Not necessarily because he thinks the otter could move the most sand but because otters are cute. Good thing for my hippo and me that he does not have an account so can’t vote!

5 Likes

Just putting it out there, but I think sandbags have something of a reputation for holding up in wet conditions. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::kissing_heart:

Let the Voting Commence!

Spectators and Coaches, please click the :heart: icon of the contestants you think should win!

Which post are we meant to like?

Clicking the :arrow_up: at the top of each quoted section will take you to the post by that competitor’s coach. These are the posts from which the votes will be tallied.

4 Likes

Voting will conclude 2021-04-15T15:00:00Z

3 Likes

First round goes to Helena the Hippo! Congratulations to her and her coach, @Brattyjedi!

VOTES Event Result
Brattyjedy 8 :1st_place_medal:
Najim 2 :2nd_place_medal:
GeeBizzle 1 :3rd_place_medal: (tied)
COMaestro 1 :3rd_place_medal: (tied)
VictorViper 1 :3rd_place_medal: (tied)
GabrielH 1 :3rd_place_medal: (tied)

I guess we never discussed how to do scoring. We can do cumulative votes. Or we can award x points per rank (1st, 2nd, 3rd). Feel free to discuss

Stage 2

Coaches, please confirm with me the competitor you will be submitting for Stage 2 – Cheese Rolling!

1 Like

Oops, posted too early.

Did the same damn thing.

1 Like

Cannot wait to see how the trainers are going to convince their animals to do this…

3 Likes

Official rules say you can assume the animals want to win and will try their best as much as a human athlete would. Tips and strategies on how to actually achieve victory, that’s the real trick!

1 Like

I have heard from all of the coaches and we have our contestants finalized!

Coaches, please introduce your competitors!

Official Order, but feel free to jump ahead in line/queue

@Brattyjedi
@Najim

@GeeBizzle
@GabrielH
@COMaestro
@VictorViper

1 Like

Representing team Bratty in the cheese roll is Anthony Ant and this time it is all about coaching and strategy.
Anthony is a small and nimble athlete and we have planned this out very carefully to take advantage of those traits. I have advised him to size up the competition at the starting line to see who he thinks is most likely to come out ahead and position himself next to them. When the whistle blows, Anthony will leap onto that competitor and spend his race running on their body, getting to the front-most portion of them and then leaping from them to touch the cheese or cross the finish line just before they can do so themselves.

1 Like

I have been asked by a coach whether grease is available.

Yes, yes it is.

3 Likes