Wishlists dreams

And so weird too. Us Dutchmen are not ashamed of some patriotism, so a game build around one of the seriously impressive things this country has done and brought it world-fame (watermanagement by building some massive dykes), would certainly have the potential to be a hit. Just change the sheep into a cow on the cover and you’re good.
Not to mention a pretty solid boardgame community and increased popularity amongst non-boardgamers that has made the newspapers in recent years.

3 Likes

[sigh] What a missed opportunity. Further proof that I shouldn’t be allowed to do things before 9am.

3 Likes

I get a vibe from Chinatown that it is similar to Lords of Vegas, that I am not sure I need both. Have you played both and if so can you compare them?

2 Likes

No, but I have heard that comparison made before. Worth looking into more in case that’s true though.

1 Like

Innovation on eBay

Just dropping this here

2 Likes

I’d just like everyone to know that I’m going to have to buy Brass: Birmingham solely because of these forums. And Nemo’s War. And Oceans.

(Brass: Birmingham narrowly beat A Feast For Odin and Great Western Trail because of people’s enthusiasm on here. I’m not good at heavy games of this type, but I want to start on at least one.)

7 Likes

Enjoy your headache! :grin:

3 Likes

All three are worth it, and totally different. These aren’t really as heavy as they appear.

GWT in particular is a few simple mini games laid on top of each other. The rulebook is a total nightmare layout though, describing each bit in isolation in a way that obfuscates the simplicity of the game. Definitely watch watching a video for the game flow.

aFfO is probably the highest complexity of the three because of the odd rules, but once those are digested all the stuff (and there’s a lot of stuff) fit into the principle ruleset without much issue. Even the expansion adds a lot more stuff without many more rules.

2 Likes

Gotta admit, I’m tempted by all three, especially since I hear such good things about the solo mode for Odin and GWT too. (And Njusford).

4 Likes

Just be patient with Brass. You picked the fiddlier and more complicated version, but it is ironically the forgiving one.

5 Likes

Oh, and also Aeon’s End (gonna start with New Age).

3 Likes

Feast has an official solo mode in the rules.

GWT doesn’t though. A user on BGG has done a lot of work for an automata, but I’ve never tried it. IIRC their username was Noelmagenta.

I’m keen to play BB again. 5 plays so far and it’s a bit meh. However, a lot of people who like similar games to me love it.

Sounds like you’re going to have a lot of fun

3 Likes

Ascending Empires might be ‘the one that got away’ for me. At that point I just didn’t understand that non-mainstream board games get really limited print runs and are quite likely to never be reprinted. I got to play it once, loved it, and still feel like it was an amazing combination of gameplay elements; but I didn’t buy a copy when I had the chance, and it’s been out of print ever since. Supposedly a 2nd edition is in the works, but that discussion dates back a couple of years and there’s still nothing concrete; so, if it’s still on the cards at all, I presume it’s not a current focus.

Although we haven’t even finished our PBF of Antiquity, I think I’m going to be adding it to my list of white whales. I’m really enjoying it, but getting hold of a copy would be so ridiculously expensive in comparison to how often it would get played (and I already went down a big Splotter hole with Food Chain Magnate + expansion).

5 Likes

Twilight Imperium is weighing very heavily on my wishlist now that the expansion is announced. If it weren’t for our current social distancing measures I would have picked it this week I think. As it is I’m forcing myself to wait for our regular gaming sessions to return. I will continue to sit and live vicariously through others’ excitement…

3 Likes

I finally got my Dream Wishlist game, which is Dune.
I also bought 4 or 5 other smaller games in recent weeks.

I only really got back into the hobby at the end of last year. So why, when I think about the new titles I’d put on a wishlist to buy as soon as they’re around in the UK and I have money, can I immediately make a list of FIFTEEN GAMES?

6 Likes

Because your ideal collection is N+1 games, where N is the number of games you own currently

6 Likes

Mine must be N+7 or 8… :thinking: :thinking: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

I have some to add, thanks to some people cruelly hooking me on Splotter games:

The Great Zimbabwe: Perversely, this is the one I’m least interested in playing online, because it is so short, but most interested in having as a physical copy, because it is so short. Also out of print and typically sold for three times RRP, which was high to start with… EDIT: now on preorder, as it is getting a reprint!

Antiquity: I feel like I kind of have to own this now, having played it so much. Out of print and too expensive though (I’m only interested in 3rd ed).

Indonesia: My first online game (ongoing) has me intrigued. Also OOP, and too expensive, and the components were fucked up in the 2nd (latest) print run, so only if a 3rd edition ever appears.

7 Likes

I think mine has a factorial…

5 Likes