Wishlists dreams

I can only assume that your friend also enjoys Pandemic: Rising Tide

1 Like

We don’t have that one, unfortunately. I do have another friend who’s enjoyed Rising Tide because she used to work in that field …

1 Like

I’m Dutch, but no sheep, nor a farmer. So I’m 1/3 on this one, but I’m also really interested in Lowlands. Annoyingly, even pre-Corona it was impossible to get here in the Netherlands (or you had to think paying €100 for a game that size is good value). So go Dutch sheep farmers! And boo high water and coronavirus

3 Likes

Are there many sheep in the Netherlands? Somehow I remember seeing more dairy farms when I toured the country in the mid 90s…

(pillbox envisions the Dutch countryside littered with ninja-sheep in camouflage bleating very, very quietly)

5 Likes

download

4 Likes

Weirdly enough, it’s much more a cow country than a sheep country, yeah. You do have them here, but the cow is the symbol when you look at the marketing in tv advertisements, etc. or to create the image for foreign tourists. Much like Scotland or Ireland, where I believe the sheep is much more an icon.
So thinking about the game, it’s an interesting choice they didn’t go for cows instead of sheep. My guess is, plain white wooden figurines are sheeper than black and white ones. So to make it work, they just took sheep, as no one outside of the Netherlands is going to notice the bit weird choice for a sheep anyway.

2 Likes

Thought so. Although I think Scotland sells more the Highland cow, sheep is more a Welsh thing.download (1)

2 Likes

I see what you did there!

2 Likes

It’s on sale at Miniature Market right now if you want to amend that. Though I was shocked to hear this. I thought you owned all the games, and multiple copies of most of them. :wink:

2 Likes

It’s one that my partner keeps trying to get for me but it’s always out of stock around my birthday and Christmas. So I specifically don’t buy it because it’s one she knows to get me

3 Likes

Now would be the time for a gentle nudge then. It can always be stashed for x number of months. Maybe by then the stay at home guidelines will be gone and you can actually have friends over to play it.

I’m tempted by it myself, as I really liked the Let’s Play SU&SD did of it.

2 Likes

Let’s be real, your partner is just a copy of roads & boats come to life.

5 Likes

We definitely have a lot of sheep here in Wales

1 Like

re: not finding Lowlands. Do we have a rule on posting links to webshops? Anyway I know at least 2 that have the (German) Feuerland version in Stock for 39,- and 41,- respectively. I do not know how language dependent it is so…

https://www.fantasywelt.de/Das-tiefe-Land-DE
https://www.milan-spiele.de/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Das+tiefe+Land
Milan sends just about everywhere and they are really quick. Fantasywelt is quick too but I haven’t checked where they send stuff. I have no affiliation with either shop except for being their customer.

1 Like

“Don’t be a spammer”, basically.

3 Likes

Thanks very much! I’m fluent in German, so language was never the problem for me, but more so if I want to play with anyone beside myself. I am just not sure if I want to buy it right now, because I don’t know how that game holds up as a 2-player game.

2 Likes

The teach for Root isn’t that bad if you’re playing with fairly boardgame literate players. Teach the common foundational rules, and the rest is written on the playerboard. People can be slightly lost in the first few rounds when nothings really been established, but it’s fine with some support (Woodland Alliance and Vagabond in particular can lack direction early game). If players have the confidence to just see what happens at the beginning, it all falls together.

2 Likes

I can’t speak for 2-player-friendliness. But I would note that as far as I’m aware, there isn’t a Nederlands localization for the game… which seems a damn shame if you ask me.

1 Like

Get Chinatown as soon as reasonably possible. It’s a damned riot and went off like gangbusters with my folks (largely non-gamers). Particularly with people you’re comfortable and familiar with, it’s an hour of (good humoured) bickering, and bitter rivalries develop fast. It’s not the deepest game in the world, but I’ll be damned if that matters one lick. It’s pure above-board shenanigans and one of the shining gems in my collection.

Also, it’s worth noting my partner (who is Chinese) didn’t find the game offensive at all. I know that’s hardly the qualifier for the definitely-not-racist test, but unless you’re playing with folks who can’t resist going full Mickey Rooney, you should be OK.

3 Likes