Where on Earth are you!? Show us the sights from your part of the world

I’d assumed being just north of London that I wouldn’t see anything so I didn’t bother looking.

1 Like

I was dropping off a friend at Heathrow too early this morning, and saw some pink feathers of cloud overlaid by green feathers of cloud at a different angle against a lightening blue sky (W or NW of me). I was driving, but I suspect at least an auroral influence.

5 Likes

I do think a lot of them are long exposure which is always going to make it look better

2 Likes

I saw a before and after photoshopping comparison, and that was quite enlightening - in a lot of places you could end up with amazing photos after editing, but not even be able to see much with the naked eye.

I’m sure most photos online have been thoroughly enhanced.

3 Likes

Back to Common Wood this morning:

I failed to get a picture of one, but at this time of year there’s some sort of caterpillar that dangles 3m or more from tree branches, usually ending up about 1.5m above ground level. I assume the plan is to be distributed by some large animal.

7 Likes

Yesterday our favorite winery was presenting the new vintage so we took along a friend and her daughter and went over there for a nice lunch, walk among the vinyards and a tasting. (and bought about 6 cases of wine or maybe 7… for them, for us, for my dad)

The sign says “when the light’s are on, we’re open” (in the local dialect)

9 Likes

Today’s walk was exploring paths in Common Wood that aren’t on OpenStreetMap yet, and I barely got to my jumping-off point as I went down various side routes.

11 Likes

Stavanger, Norway and some big swords to commemorate the battle that united Norway.

There is a lot of sea between the UK and Norway

14 Likes

I’d say it’s North a lot…

2 Likes

Views from the top of the gatehouse at Battle Abbey, which was allegedly built on the site of the battle of Hastings (of 1066 fame)

15 Likes

Back to Cowleaze Wood today. Quite muddy after yesterday’s rain.

The dangling caterpillar season has ended in the more local woods, but there were a few out today. Manual focus ftw.

10 Likes

Ringing the bell.

Some flowers.

14 Likes

We’re back from our vacation on the German North Sea Coast. The town is called Dorum and it’s between Cuxhaven and Bremerhaven (kind of)

House we stayed in

Our typical lunch : Backfischbrötchen and “local” beer (it’s tasty and very common all across Northern Germany)

Eversand. Lighthouse near Dorum. We climbed up one day and were told that this and 2 siblings were used to show the old shipping route for a long time, but then the sands changed and so did the route and they were abandoned. Later (~1999?) this was moved to shore to restore. The other 2 are slowly falling to pieces.

Sights of Bremerhaven. Sadly, we had no time to visit either the “Klimahaus” or the “Auswandererhaus” because we had our friends dog with us. Dogs are not welcome in a lot of places I found out this vacation. The others went into the U-Boot while the dog, its “mom” and I went for coffee. Apparently, this one is a very late model from WWII that sank itself when the war ended without ever being part of an engagement.

Wattenmeer. I didn’t know that most places you are not allowed to walk barefoot in the “Watt” apparently human feet are bad for nature. It’s a National Park now.

Strandkörbe, Cuxhaven (my mom was born near here)

Fishing Boat (‘Fischkutter’) near Spieka

Kugelbake in Cuxhaven (Bake is Old German for any shipping “signage” and this one has a ball on top)

I’ve already reported on the incredible amount of games I got to play.

15 Likes

For the next two weeks I am in Kansas City, Missouri. I will mostly be in the convention center working, but at least the view from my hotel is pretty nice.

Also, being the Disney-nut that I am, I have already been to Union Station to check out the traveling Disney 100 exhibition that just happened to open here this weekend.

11 Likes

Whitesands Bay in Pembrokeshire yesterday. It’s about 2 and a half hours West of Cardiff (I was surprised you could go that far as well).

Surf was up, Seth gave himself a reminder on how to surf, I had a a good time on a bodyboard.

So, so lucky with the weather

13 Likes

I’m surprised there was that much space on a beach on a sunny bank holiday Monday!

4 Likes

I was a bit surprised, but it’s quite a hike from anywhere!

The surf was great for us, but the proper surfers were somewhere else, I’m guessing Freshwater West

3 Likes

I’ve been there! Nice beach, although when I went a few years back (it might be a decade, we only had one child back then) it was very windy and not very pleasant.

2 Likes

The beach, or your child??

7 Likes

Everywhere east of Swansea seems to take an age to get to!

1 Like