What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?

You’re right. This could be merely the tip of the iceberg.

7 Likes

I actually thought that joke was a little gem.

7 Likes

Ah, salad pun achieved. I can cress that off my bucket list.

6 Likes

I think we’re just out of waldorfs. (Am I doing it right?)

6 Likes

It’s really more that the rest of us are doing it wrong.

6 Likes

I’m just happy to note that this exchange has not yet descended into crudités.

8 Likes

ObElon: everyone is banned except me, and all my posts get 10,000 likes.

(“Benevolent dictator” does include “benevolent” as well as “dictator”.)

8 Likes

Please you have to Cease (ar) all this nonsense…

3 Likes

All these marvelous puns are making me green with envy.

1 Like

My second career as a pathologist is full of interesting cases, and I love the variety of biology. I have to admit though, when faced with a choice between a complicated pathological process or a simpler explanation, I often follow the path of least resistance.

See this joke works because when you’re a cool pathologist like me, you’ll often say ‘path’ instead of ‘pathology’ (example: ‘Did you see that interstitial fungogingliomatous hepatopathy? Great path!’), partly to save time and partly to be cool and sexy. This means that ‘path’ in the last line above could be interpreted in two ways, which results in humour and, if you will, some gentle rub tickling.

10 Likes

Your vowels are showing.

8 Likes

Can’t help feeling that if you were an electronics engineer then this—what was the word you used?—joke would have worked without the substantial footnote.

7 Likes

But what is the canonical simile for explaining humour? Isn’t that something you’d expect to be part of the pathological pathologist’s mindset?

5 Likes

Yes, ‘no one enjoys it and the frog dies’. First of all, that’s vivisection not dissection. And I -do- enjoy dissection, so you’re spot on. As is my funny joke.

5 Likes

Now I’m thinking about it, I suppose surgery is just vivisection with a happy ending. Although not that kind.

8 Likes

You say that, but The Beast of Borneo does rather imply the other kind too.

3 Likes

I once had to explain a joke about a dyslexic beagle who was hired as a tempura chef, but kept shedding hair on the food. The dog fries and no one enjoys it.

5 Likes

Meanwhile, a kind person has compiled some useful tactical advice on Quacks of Quedlinburg. Philtre Tips, it’s called.

4 Likes

I can’t change my life… path. Not just for a joke anyway. Although maybe…

3 Likes

3 Likes