What are you watching?

Just finished watching all four series of Mr. Robot. It’s phenomenal.

Started watching Kevin needs to F himself and it’s pure nightmare in a great way.

4 Likes

Man, just finished Picard season 2. I know it’s science fiction but that felt like such a mess. Characters and technology suddenly done exactly what they needed them to do to creat drama or resolve issues they had boxed themselves into. Nothing felt earned or consistent.

It just kept making me angry and I kept thinking it was going to get better.

1 Like

That’s Star Trek, in any of its incarnations.

1 Like

Sicario

This is Villeneuve’s masterpiece for me. It’s a film that has a protagonist that is also the main villain. It’s a sublime piece of cinema.

2 Likes

@GeeBizzle

Picard season 2 in three questions.

1. What event was Soong trying to stop to create the alternate future?

2. What happened to the Borg queen in that alternative future?

3. Why did the Borg queen help Soong?

It wasn’t just the technology that wasn’t in focus.

1 Like

The girls were watching some Netflix the other night, and on a random chance, A Knight’s Tale showed up. Silly, irreverent, not accurate historically at all, but I loved it. I had not seen it for a while, and I admit that it is a shame that Heath Ledger left us so early.

6 Likes

Yes A Knights Tale is a great movie.

Watched Free Guy last night. It is… meh. As always Ryan Reynolds is usually worth watching on the strength of his likeability and Tatum Channing had a fun cameo but that’s about it.

3 Likes

Started watching severance after recommendations here. Don’t know if it’s just the fact that Picard seemed so poorly put together (imho) but I’m two episodes in and loving it. Such good pacing and mood. It’s taken a weird concept that could have been wasted in 5 minutes and slowly building on what that concept means and layering it with more and more mystery (gives me real lost vibes with regard to leaving the viewer asking “what’s going on?”).

1 Like

Absolutely agree on Heath Ledger.

I still remember the day I saw the movie in way too many details.

There was a trailer of the new Spiderman movie before. A trailer I never saw again. The movie was good fun.

By the time we got home from the movie, the world had changed. It was 09/11/2001 -.-

6 Likes

The Night of the Hunter on the big screen last night. I already loved this film, so I’d been looking forward to this screening in a big way, and it looked and sounded as good as I could have hoped for. A definite treat.

2 Likes

Thanks for reminding me about it. Watched it this weekend.

2 Likes

I just watched (live) the freaking roller-coaster final hour or so of the last day of the second cricket test match between NZ and England. I think I had my face in my hands for the last half hour continuously. What an extraordinary match.

I’ll link the cricinfo report below; but if you’re a fan you’ll probably want to avoid that and watch a replay (or at least some highlights, although they never really convey the full experience).

Link to spoiler-ific match report article

Recent Match Report - England vs New Zealand 2nd Test 2022/23 | ESPNcricinfo.com

3 Likes

I just finished Season 3 of The Orville.

It’s… inconsistent, but when it’s good it’s really good. When it’s bad, it’s two minutes of Gordon singing (and hey, he’s got a great voice, but whoever wrote this season was obviously a fan of DS9 and its habit of interjecting nonsensical musical performances).

I think he sings… five times? Six? Too many times over 10 episodes. But again, there are moments of jaw-dropping sci-fi. Just really, really great tv. Oh, and one instance of Dolly Parton singing was also both touching and absolutely unnecessary, but…

The episodes with Topa are breathtaking. And I’m glad that they’ve managed to differentiate themselves from being “just” a Star Trek parody.

Anyway. Real good.

Also on Episode 7 of Andor. What can I say, we have been blessed with spectacular sci-fi.

3 Likes

Just finished 1923. Brutal tv and a very strange non-ending. Mirren is awesome as usual tho

2 Likes

Just finished season 1 of severance. Loved it. Made me think of twin peaks in all the good ways.

Guess I’ll need to get Apple TV back again when season 2 comes out.

2 Likes

Watched Knives Out.

So I predicted one element of the mystery (and a significant one), but was still pleasantly surprised by the reveal(s) at the end of the movie. Just an almost-flawless execution from one side straight through to the other.

Helluva thing. Can’t wait to watch the next one!

6 Likes

I need to watch it, I can see the second one on Netflix, but Knives Out is not there any more… grrrr

2 Likes

Still on Netflix in UK. Can you use a VPN?

Also I watched Spotlight for about the 5th time last night. Such a good film, with great acting.

I also watched the first two Creed movies. Yes, they are just Rocky remakes but well told, well acted and the action sequences are great.

4 Likes

I have a VPN, but I’ve never been able to get this trick to work.

This is the subject of the next episode of Ribbon of Memes (recorded in a hotel room over the weekend). I really liked the way it kept everything downplayed and realistic rather then indulging in the usual filmmaker’s tendency to pep it up and make things more dramatic.