What are you watching?

This is literally how my local cinema displayed the title. Terminator: Dark Fat

6 Likes

About todayā€™s episode of House of the Dragonā€¦

-Did you see the last episode of House of the Dragon, mate?
-No, too dark.
-What, too bloody? To much gore?
-No, literally, too dark. They forgot to put the lights on at the studios or something.

4 Likes

I hate this ā€œinnovationā€. I donā€™t care if things look silly with stage lighting, at least let me see whatā€™s happening.

Iā€™m also over actual whispering. Stage whispers were invented on purpose for a reason.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen all sorts of jokes about it. It happened in the Battle of Winterfell already, they have a terrible cinematographer/light techs combo. I can understand when you want to make everything dark for a few seconds on purpose to increase tension, but nearly 15 minutes of that is, at the least, very bizarre.

Whispers is another perk of mine. Or people that whisper without good pronunciation skills at leastā€¦ I thought that because English was not my first language that was the issue, but seems like I am not aloneā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen some discussion, canā€™t remember if here or elsewhere, that certain streaming/decoding algorithms are to blame. I think someone said that if you were to change TVs or streaming services, the ā€œtoo darkā€ problem just disappears.

2 Likes

I donā€™t have the technical wherewithall to argue that point. But from a production standpoint, I feel like they could compensate for streaming services and televisions by adding stage lighting.

Lighting ā€œdarkā€ scenes is a technical challenge that has been done before (widely successfully for decades, even). I feel that itā€™s just amateurish to not have the technical expertise to light a stage for a dark scene.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think itā€™s definitely a mistake to produce as if such problems donā€™t exist.

Same goes for sound mixing. Not everyone has perfect sound reproduction and 5.1 speakers, or headphones, so donā€™t mix only for people who do.

2 Likes

There has been a massive uproar widespread with regards to this episode. I watch through Satellite, and we had to switch off all lights in the room to be able to hardly see what was going on.

The producers have released a statement declaring they did it on purpose. Which to me, it aggravates things. Either they are technically lacking (funny enough, both in Winterfell Battle and on this episode they had amazing night sky shots) or they are lacking in visual storytelling, because to impede the visuals for so long on purpose works against them. My OH started looking at her phone because, and I quote, ā€œhow long is this going to be, because you canā€™t see a thingā€.

2 Likes

We struggled similarly when watching some of the Marvel movies. It seemed like it was an artistic decision, but it was a bad artistic decision and should have been a lesson learned.

3 Likes

Watched Prey tonight. It was pretty good! Would not mind a sequel if they can swing it.

3 Likes

Isnā€™t it great? Who knew ā€œjust do another Predator movie but make it goodā€ was the recipe we all needed?

4 Likes

Binged Welcome to Wrexham. I am not a football fan at all so not sure why I watched it really (perhaps star power of Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenneyā€¦) but it is thoroughly captivating. Well worth a watch.

4 Likes

Recommend me a film for tonight - wife away for a week so treating myself to a good film (and maybe a glass of good wineā€¦) in the evenings.

Iā€™m in the mood for something quite slow and thinky - something like Spotlight or Dark Waters, All The Presidentā€™s Men, that kind of thing.

2 Likes

Moana?

Knives Out on Amazon is a good watch. Or Logan Lucky.

4 Likes

Yeah liked Knives Out and looking forward to the sequel.

Not heard of Logan Lucky, will look it up

2 Likes

Welcome to Wrexham reminded me of why I canā€™t watch sports in which I have an emotional investment.

3 Likes

I forgot to add some stuff here. Binged the last season of Cobra Kai last week. Soooo good. It has become one of my favourite guilty pleasures. Plus this time there was a lot less of teenage angst, which makes it even less guilty.

I have been watching House of the Dragon, and besides a change of actors half way through (which I think some could have been avoided, but thereā€™s that) I am enjoying it very much this far. Paddy Considine has been outstanding, way more than I expected. Who would have thought that one of the two Andies detectives from Hot Fuzz could have this great gravitas as a king? I thought that the weight of the show would have been carried by Matt Smith and Rhys Ifans, but so far Paddy has stolen the show.

Also caught up on Friday night to watch Sing with the girls. I had never seen it (even though I saw Sing 2 in the cinema with the children). Loved it. Been humming Stevie Wonderā€™s ā€œDonā€™t you worry about a thingā€ all weekend.

2 Likes

I first remember Paddy Considine in Dead Manā€™s Shoes (filmed in my home town of Matlock). Youā€™d have no doubts of his gravitas if youā€™d seen that!

3 Likes

I had forgotten how much fun Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels was. And the soundtrack is bloody awesome

6 Likes

I have to watch that. Thanks for the reminder, itā€™s been on my to be watched list for a while.

And Lock Stock is soooo good. Guy Ritchie has some jewels, and that is definitely one of them.

2 Likes