What are you watching?

Watched The Adam Project last night, a fairly slight and straightforward family time travel yarn with a few eyebrow-raising moments of physics working selectively to assist the plot.

Mark Ruffalo is in typically shabby, amiable form as the scientist dad, Jennifer Garner isn’t ignored but is underused, and Ryan Reynolds as Adam dials his single performance to about a 5 on the Reynolds scale—a less sweary Deadpool.

I forget the name of the young actor playing the role of Adam when he was twelve, but he was sharp and not instantly annoying merely by his presence in a scene, which is more than we usually get from child actors.

Felt a bit like a TV movie version of a Spielberg family sci-fi flick.

3 Likes

Saw two movies this weekend. First up was Lost City with my wife, somwhat appropriate considering how much we have been playing Lost Cities together. It was a good popcorn film, just sit back, laugh, and enjoy without needing to think at all. Good performances by all.

Then my brother-in-law and I saw Uncharted last night. It was much better than I feared it would be. Definitely not a great film, but certainly enjoyable. Really liked the bits in Barcelona. Tom Holland does good in the role, though his baby face is not what comes to mind when I think of Nathan Drake. Still, good chemistry between the cast members and an enjoyable treasure hunt, even if some of the action sequences make you call BS, result in a fun film

1 Like

I saw it last week, and I very much agree with you, it was enjoyable, Ryan Reynolds does repeat himself a little bit lately, but the cheeky grin and quick wit remarks let him get away with it. I enjoyed the action scenes enough, and the time-travelling edge is different, if a bit naff. But I definitely enjoyed myself watching it. The young kid actually was one of the highlights of the movie for me. Loved him spooking the mother’s date.

2 Likes

Just watched The Adam Project last night, and it was… one of the better time-travel movies I have seen? Granted, that’s saying almost nothing… time travel is always handled so poorly with massive glaring plot holes almost without exception. The plot holes in this one were glaring, but by the same token they didn’t matter except for the whole Laura plot line… “They’ll never see me coming” apparently means I have placed exactly one mine and will walk out into the open where there is absolutely no cover whatsoever… le sigh…

Specific to your spoiler, though, I was stunned that the mother’s date never showed up again… like, I really thought he would be a time traveller or a baddie or something, but no. Just a rando that Adam gets to be mean to. A really fascinating choice!

The kid was great, though. And Ryan Reynolds is always a joy to watch. He doesn’t have a tonne of range (or if he does I haven’t seen it), but he’s always fun. I think I liked Free Guy a little better, but only a little, and the only really great thing about Free Guy is Reynolds and Taika Waititi, the rest of the cast is pretty forgettable.

Also watched The Fifth Element last night, due to a thread here where somebody mentioned it as a comfort-viewing movie, and I forgot how much I liked it. On a modern viewing… still holds up remarkably well. Very male-gaze-y, but otherwise pretty good.

Lastly, learned last night that my partner has never seen the sublime The Mummy staring Brendan Fraser. That must be rectified. As the meme says, if I ever had to describe my sexual orientation, it’s basically “The cast of The Mummy.” Such a funny, clever, well done film that avoids so many trope-y pitfalls.

2 Likes

That film (The Mummy) really surprised me when I eventually saw it. I was expecting it to be rubbish! As I recall, it was a really fun time.

2 Likes

The Mummy was such a great movie. Another pleasant surprise that I went to watch in the cinema and overdelivered big time. Not the same can be said about the sequels, but that first one is a great adventure movie.

I must watch The Fifth Element again. If only for the opera section, it is worth it.

2 Likes

I took that line to be her lying to Adam (which he probably knew) so he would feel less guilty and leave.

1 Like

Fifth element is amazing.

2 Likes

I watched Disney’s 2021 Jungle Cruise with The Rock (and Emily Blunt, Jack Whitehall) and… it was pretty great?

It was totally enjoyable and funny, and in many places quite similar to The Mummy. I can imagine a lot of critics going in with rock-bottom expectations and thinking “…Huh. That should have been a theme-park ride movie but it was actually good?”

5 Likes

Need to watch this. I love the ride

1 Like

Yes indeed! A lot of that runs off The Rock and Emily Blunt of course, either of whom alone can make utter trash watchable, and who play off each other very well; but I had a much better time than I expected given that the film had been in development since 2004 and has obviously had a lot of hands on the script.

(I knew nothing about the ride.)

1 Like

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011) - incredibly entertaining spy flick in a way that isn’t super cheesy (see the gajillions of Bold films)

“Smileeeeeey is suspicious Peeeercyyyy”

4 Likes

Great film - both versions!

1 Like

Gosh, has it been that long?? I remember watching it in the cinema, what a great cast. Gary Oldman in particular was phenomenally good with very subtle acting.

2 Likes

5 Likes

The best thing about that typo is that in modern computer typography, bold means a font weight of 700.

Bold… James Bold, seven double-oh – licensed to emphasise.

Edmund (amused): Ha. Then in our band you shall be known as "Bold James".

{James spits out his mouthful of beer and looks accusingly at Edmund}

JB: Why?

Edmund (nervously): Well... because you are so thin.

JB: Why not "Thin James" then?

Edmund: Well, because "Bold James" is more amusing.

Others: Is it?

Edmund: Very well then "Thin James".

{All rise weapons pointed at Edmund in a threatening manner}

JB: You wish to mock my weight?

[original scene]

(I have to say, this is by far the most satisfying thing which has happened this week :‍)

1 Like

With the move over to Disney+, I have been rewatching Daredevil. Finished S1 and got 4 episodes into S2 today. I remember feeling S2 was not as good as S1, but man, these first 4 episodes make a strong argument against that belief. But then Elektra shows up and I start remembering that plot line and…yeah, I stand by my original belief.

Hyping myself up for the Marvel Unmatched sets that should be headed my way, hopefully before the end of the week. Will hype further with the premiere of Moon Knight tomorrow.

3 Likes

Yeah Im doing the same and I agree that Elecktra isnt the best

1 Like
4 Likes

He’s clearly in front of a screen.

Still cool.

1 Like