What are you watching?

In a good way I hope :slight_smile:

They marry young in England!

2 Likes

Just started watching The Dropout about Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos. Quite interesting so far

Saw The Batman today and really enjoyed it! They pulled bits of story from a number of different Batman things, it seemed to me anyway, but made a original feeling story out of them. It was really long though, like almost 3 hours. Felt like there were bits that could have been cut shorter and probably dropped 30 minutes without the film suffering for it.

Pattinson did a good job as Batman, and really the whole cast did great. Would watch again.

5 Likes

I will continue watching, but that last episode let me a bit down, I must admitā€¦ I sort of was expecting the twist, but the visit from the Bad Place team a few episodes before put me off that track. I sort of felt a bitā€¦ cheated? I guess they will explain that in the future seasons, or not?

This morning we had three more episodes of Space Force. In a way, I am enjoying it more than the first season. I think the humour is a bit moreā€¦ refined?? on this one. Plus itā€™s had a very humane couple of touches as well.

2 Likes

I still enjoyed the twist a lot because Michael played it so well. But I can understand your feelings about it :slight_smile: And yes, there will be more about the background and everything in the next season.

Space Force season 1 was okay for us, we really disliked the daughter. We felt like she didnā€™t provide any humour to the show. But the episode with the dog and monkeyā€¦ we watched that one like 3-4 times over the last year, it is SO hilarious and good. Had us in tears.

From season 2 we only watched the first episode, but will finish the season for sure (just Superstore keeps us distracted), curious how it grew from season 1.

1 Like

We just finished Season 2 of Space Force, and we enjoyed it a lot. The daughter characterā€¦ does grow in this season, I believe. But you will be the judge of that, I agree she can be a bitā€¦ dry.

1 Like

Just finished the first season of Arcane.

Wow. Stunning, stunning show. Visually incredible, auditoryā€¦ily stunning. Story was solid.

Just wow. I care about 0% for League of Legends (I liked the board game, granted), but what a show.

Watched Hacksaw Ridge last night. What an incredible story.

1 Like

A while ago, back in February, while still not having enough energy to play solo games in the evenings, but not necessarily wanting to go to bed at the same time as the new baby, I decided to rewatch the Lord of the Rings movies; this time, the extended cuts, which I had never seen before.

I remember thinking a few things:

• ā€œOh, these movies are still quite good.ā€
  • ā€œThis CG is poorer than I remember itā€ ā† this is what made me realize how old I am, because I then remembered these movies are 20 years old
  • ā€œthe extended editions donā€™t really add that much to the experience, but they sure do take longer to watchā€

Coming off the heels of that, I decided to rewatch The Hobbit trilogy. I watched them when they were coming out and donā€™t recall having any particular fondness nor dislike to them. But, watching them nowā€¦ they make me mad. Likeā€¦ Iā€™m mad at how terrible these movies are compared to both A) the book, and B) the Lord of the Rings movies

Iā€™m still suffering through the second Hobbit movie, The Desolation of Smaug. Maybe the Battle of Five Armies will save it? Itā€™s the one Iā€™m not entirely sure Iā€™ve actually seen before.

4 Likes

See, I look at them from the perspective that, for movies from the change of the century (like Matrix), the effects still look really good.

Regarding the Hobbit movies, I got mad on the first viewing. Particularly with the million crazy chases to give work to do to his studios, and make no sense whatsoever.

Lastly, I started watching the new season of The Last Kingdom on Netflix last night. So far the first episode does not disappoint, good

2 Likes

Yeah, my brain cannot compute that Fellowship was released in 2001. Or that 2001 was 21 years ago, instead of, say, 8 years ago.

4 Likes

I really liked the LOTR trilogy*, but when I first heard that The Hobbit ā€“ something which could clearly be one film ā€“ was going to be three films, I set my expectations very low indeed. This was partly on account of King Kong which Iā€™d thought was hugely overlong and likely indicated that, in the wake of the trilogyā€™s success, no one had the nerve to dare suggest that Jackson and co. could do anything wrong (despite shockers like a completely unnecessary and lengthy sub-plot being left entirely unresolved).

My partner and I went along to the first Hobbit film nevertheless, thought it was bad, and weā€™ve left it at that.

* With the memorable exception of the cringeworthy scene when Legolas uses a shield to ā€˜surfā€™ a staircase, which I rate only slightly less-dumb (albeit mercifully shorter) than that kid swinging on vines in the last Indiana Jones film.

3 Likes

I just canā€™t stand Uhtredā€™s accent!

1 Like

I rented Death Race 2050, which was a cheap, clunky, gore-splattered, heavy-handed social satire combining rickety racing cars with dodgy CGI, along with Malcolm McDowell enjoying himself dishing out the cheese and collecting his cheque.

Rather enjoyed it.

6 Likes

I have enjoyed many of Mr McDowellā€™s cheesier offerings. In particular, the Amy Heckerling movie about vampires where an undead Alicia Silverstone and Krysten Ritter have to seek advice from Vlad the Impaler (as played by Malcolm McDowell) on how to defeat their sire (played by Sigourney Weaver). How such a piece of fluff got the funding and the cast is beyond me, but it was hilarious.

5 Likes

That sounds amazing! Iā€™ll need to track that one down.

1 Like

The 4th and most recent season if The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel was good. Maybe it did not quite reach the heights of previous seasons and running in place little, but Iā€™d still recommend it (despite the early anti-buzz it was getting).

Weā€™ve now started Peacemaker. 2 episodes in, so far so good.

2 Likes

We finally got around to watching Arcane (on Episode 6? I think). Iā€™ve only ever played a single game of LoL so I am happy that this works for us. (But the lot of you suggested it would soā€¦ no big surprise).

We had to check though which character came first and Tiny Tina is ~1 year older than Jinx. because there are striking similarities.

1 Like

We finished Arcane. Wow. That was good. Though it wouldnā€˜t make my ā€žcomfort watchingā€œ list.

On Friday, I wasnā€˜t feeling too well and watched the complete 2nd season of Bridgerton. I liked this one better than the first because the pair of protagonists was less infuriating than the first season. Or possibly because I could identify more with both of them. In any case, if this kind of regency romance thing is your thing: Iā€˜d recommend it. (I also read all the books after watching the first season last year). Also envious of the gardens they filmed in. Some beautiful scenery shown off.

Started 2nd season of Space Force today. Cannot watch too much of it, because as good as Malkovich and Carrell areā€¦ the cringe is strong here. But there these sweet moments in between that make it good. The end of the first episode is one of those.

1 Like