What are you watching?

I’ve also started rewatching House MD. It works as background for some of the more menial work tasks.

2 Likes

I found the 1979 Filmation cartoon series The New Adventures Of Flash Gordon on Prime. I loved this when I was a kid, and it’s been a thoroughly enjoyable nostalgia trip. Filmation went on to produce HE-MAN and it’s funny to note that the guy who voiced Skeletor also voiced Ming the Merciless. :laughing:

5 Likes

Somehow that just fits perfectly.

Not to sound too humble but I do not ask for much. Do my mother’s day request to get HBO so I could watch The Outsider was granted. Only 3 episodes in and I’m enjoying it a lot. Some changes I understand (needing to tweek so it stays seperate from Mr Mercedes which has a same character Holly)
Just introduced Holly. The actress is doing a great job with tone and mannerisms. Im not 100% on how “quirky” they made her character, but I might be bias as having autistic kiddos people have asked me what can they do (like savants). Um eat a ton of French fries before you can blink?

Just finished The Terror (on Amazon Prime in Canada). If you know any of the history you know generally how it has to end. With that you should be prepared for how bleak it is. You won’t be. The sets, costumes and acting are awesome. It is a bit like Alien with the mining company politics exchanged for British Navy issues. There is more about being far from home and fewer monsters. Remember the title and don’t take it on if you aren’t ready for the relentless doom. Other than that it is great. :wink:

1 Like

I keep meaning to watch that, and keep failing due to being covered in toddlers.

Right now, Elementary is successfully fulfilling my need for distraction while covered in toddlers. Something I can watch without needing to pay it my full attention.

I’m trying to watch Tales from the Loop when I get time alone, so I haven’t got very far. I am enjoying the format of childhood growing pains through the lens of extreme magical events in a sort-of 20th century setting.

2 Likes

The Lucy Liu and Sick Boy show? My partner and I watched and loved the first 2 seasons but we lost interest completely in season 3 or 4

1 Like

Oh, did he play Sick Boy? Interesting. I mean, my mental image of Sick Boy and Renton is still rooted in the book, and not so much the film, but the film was good too.

Yes, I think I’m partway into season 3 now. It isn’t great, but as I said I’m not looking for great, just distraction.

2 Likes

I’m a huge theatre fan normally so I’ve been taking advantage of the filmed versions of stage plays being streamed thanks to the pandemic. The U.K. National Theatre has had some of their old cinema broadcasts of stage plays up on the internet for a week at a time. I saw several when they were shown in cinemas before but have rewatched some and caught others for the first time this way. Now I don’t have to drive an hour each way to get to the closest cinema that does the broadcasts!

This week was Antony and Cleopatra which was a solid production of a play I’ve seen a half dozen times now I think. Tomorrow it will switch to Barber Shop Chronicles, which is a show I don’t know and one they’ve not done as a cinema broadcast so I’m super excited for it.

The Globe is also offering some of their filmed plays for free on I think a 2 week rotation. I‘ve not watched any of theirs during the pandemic free offerings yet, though I’ve watched several of their filmed plays other times before. I’m hoping to have time for the current one, Two Noble Kinsman, before it changes this upcoming weekend.

4 Likes

I enjoyed all of Elementary. I like the dry humour and pop culture references. Little things like justifying the betrayal of an incel because he is an incel.

I enjoyed 2 episodes of Tales From the Loop for some of the reasons I liked The Terror. Atmosphere, mood. etc. (It feels a bit like the art of Scythe to me.) The characters were good but I wanted more why with the what-if. I might go back to it.

2 Likes

I am watching The Last Kingdom on Netflix, and I was shocked at the lack of continuity on the beginning of Episode 3 on the last season (Fourth, I think)

On the end of Episode 2, Uthred is trying to reconquer Bebbanburgh, and when he manages to sneak behind his usurping uncle and hold him ransom with his sword on his neck to save his own son’s life, his cousin appears on the ramparts with a crossbow (I will not get into how out of place that crossbow is on the Dark Ages, but it made me roll my eyeballs) and they have a standoff. Fine for now, to take away his trump card of a hostage uncle, his cousin shoots him through the eye, and no Uthred is in the open with no hostage to bargain with. Fair enough, nice cliffhanger for the end of the episode.

But when Episode 3 starts, the crossbow (trumpet fanfare) has magically reloaded another bolt!! What the heck!!! When did this happen?? Since when a crossbow as big and exaggerated like that gets loaded in the blink of an eye?? And in the Dark Ages??

And worse off, to what extent? To give the writers an excuse to kill Beocca?? Could he not have died trying to save Uthred’s son in the fight afterwards?

Gosh, the story is really good, and the characters are very well portrayed, but does anybody in the movie (and series) industry consider these things at all? Just a modicum of realism I am asking, I am already ignoring the weird sword shape, the weird armours that anything cuts or punctures through, the lack of spears and helmets around and the backstrap sword scabbard of the main hero, but please, this is basic stuff…

Rant over

3 Likes

I watched season one of Love Death + Robots on Netflix last week. On the whole, I enjoyed it. As with any anthology series, some episodes are better than others, but I enjoyed the various animation styles. The first episode (“Three Robots”) was excellent. Well done, and very funny.

3 Likes

We watched the last few days the Space Force series, and if only for John Malkovich, it is worth a watch.
He’s hilarious in it.

2 Likes

C and I just watched the first episode of The Prisoner. I’m hoping that this time we can make it through the entire series, rather than getting too busy and ceasing to watch. I’d like to see how the final episodes look in the context of the full season.

1 Like

New season of Archer on Netflix. So far its pretty good - I’m a few episodes in. This setting seems more fitting for Archer than Noir for instance, which was a significant departure in terms of tone and storytelling…

Also, Rick and Morty’s fourth season finale was the best episode in awhile imo (though the Vat of Acid episode also had its moments)

1 Like

Started Community last night after finishing Space Force in under a week (10 episodes that flied by quickly, cannot wait for more)

Watched 3 episodes or so, and I can see it has potential, but I don’t know if it will keep up with other comedy series I am after…

3 Likes

It mostly worked for me until Donald Glover left (during s5). I have weird taste in comedy, though.

2 Likes

I have to admit that after the first 3 or 4 episodes being really bland, the series is taking off (at least for me), and now I am really enjoying it.

Started watching The Great, and its pretty funny so far

Community is one of the best comedy series out there but it takes some episodes till they start to do the really weird and funny stuff.

1 Like