What are you watching?

I just watched the “LIttle Soldier Boy” scene from Avatar:the last Airbender and I was crying for a good 10 minutes. Then I looked up why it was dedicated to Mako and went all over again.

I want an Uncle Iroh…

2 Likes

C and I just watched the first episode of Upload last night. It was actually pretty decent: enough humor to justify calling it a comedy, but also pretty good characterization, and some fairly decent assimilation of transhumanist tropes. I don’t often like comedy, but this one is working for me so far.

Look, I’m not currently watching it but… Are there any other Fringe fans out there?

This Sci-Fi show seems to have been really overlooked. And it’s worth it for John Noble’s performance alone!

1 Like

I couldn’t make it through a season. I really don’t like the whole “magic, but dressed up as science” thing.

I am, however, enjoying Tales from the Loop, perhaps because it makes no pretence at being about anything other than magic.

I loved Fringe. I have a fondness for sci-fi shows with a heart.

I once saw Jasika Nicole drive by in a car in my neighborhood! :heart:

1 Like

Fringe was amazing. Loved it, even when it got really really bizarre. I still got the DVD box set. If it wasn’t for the fact I have a gazillion things still to watch on Netflix and Amazon Prime, I would watch it again.

1 Like

@Tika, @Chewy77 It’s great to see someone loved this show! I enjoyed the complete 5 season run - even though it suffered from standard-american-tv-show-amnesia. Y’know, promising plot points that get forgotten? Loads of stuff from season 1 was never really explained.

And yet… I love this show!

@Tika did you know that Jasika Nicole voiced some of the stuff in Welcome to Night Vale?

EDIT: And I am VERY JEALOUS…

I didn’t know this! Haven’t seen her in anything since Fringe ended.

1 Like

Finished my binge on Community (yes, I know, it was a while back), now watching Upload, which isnt bad.

1 Like

We just saw the second episode. We were entertained by the satire of social media and of affirmative consent, and interested to see that it has elements not merely of comedy and near-future SF but of mystery. The political roman à clef was overobvious but was actually amusing rather than merely annoying, though it was a little annoying too.

I’m still bingeing old Brooklyn 99. I think I’m in season 4 now? Man, my first (negative) take on the show has really proven unreliable - its terrific and full of great characters (Terry and Rosa are probably my favs - but Holt is great also)

2 Likes

Yeah I thought Jake was a real prat to begin with!

Ok, so I’ve finished Avatar: The Last Airbender, what next? That was amazing BTW - I didn’t expect so much from a kids show. Oh my god, Uncle Iroh and “Leaves from the vine”. Jesus, rip my heart out and show it to me…

Some of the most interesting TV there has ever been is supposed to be for kids. It’s when the writers don’t treat the kids like kids that good stuff happens.

I’m thinking Brooklyn 99, although I didn’t really enjoy the first episode.

1 Like

Kind of got bored with Altered Carbon, so I switched to Lats Kingdom, catching up with season 3. I still find it attractive, if I put away my “historical hat”. I still cringe at that sword design and the back strap, but the performances do save the series. Left it on a big cliffhanger last night (episode 5) and cannot wait to catch up with it asap.

The obvious answer is The Legend of Korra. The slightly less obvious answer is The Dragon Prince, which was created by one of the lead writers of AtLA.

Brooklyn 99 is definitely worth persevering with. The Good Place is another great option (also by Mike Schur) and has the benefit of being finished.

1 Like

The All4 app recommended us to watch Scrubs after Brooklyn 99 so we’re rewatching all of that

I’ve been warned off Korra by my son, he says it’s nowhere near as good as Avatar. So, I’m waiting for the Netflix live adaptation! :slight_smile:
I’ve done The Good Place, but may have to rewatch it… what a great series.

Looks like Dragon Prince and Brooklyn 99 then! :smiley:

Legend of Korra is actually not bad. Aimed at a slightly older audience than Avatar.

1 Like

I liked Korra a lot too. I’ve never really understood why people disliked it.

1 Like

I didn’t like it for the first couple of episode - Jake is a right douche. But it gets much much better.

1 Like