What are you spinning?

Because I’m not allowed to go anywhere because of wind my mind immediately threw up this “gem”

1 Like

Whatever happened to the popular novelty song? Did the demise of Top of the Pops remove general exposure to them, or did tastes move elsewhere?

1 Like

Out last three Christmas number ones have been about sausage rolls, and the same chart did contain a protest song about the PM so they are still about. I just think most people who make them just stick them on YouTube?

1 Like

Not sure if I’ve mentioned this previously but one of my favourite bands has spent the last year writing an infinite amount of music.

Well, 65 systems that never quite sound the same twice, streaming free for everyone.

Won’t to be everyone’s taste. But it’s been my background listening most days.

2 Likes

If you like “John Ketley is a weatherman” and you enjoyed political protest about Boris Johnson in the UK Christmas charts, then there is the perfect song for you - the artist behind “Boris Johnson is a Fing C” also made “Jesus died of a strangle****” to a familiar tune.

The artist has also made songs on a range of topics like serial killers, paedophiles, a musical on the kidnap of Shannon Matthews, but I think finest, bleakiest, and less-sweary than usual moment is the below:
You’re going to die - original
You’re going to die - updated for COVID

1 Like

Last week, I inadvertently set my computer to play songs in alaphabetical order, starting somewhere in the middle. I didn’t notice until it played different versions of the same song three times in a row. this is not the first time this is happeend.

5 Likes

On account of reading about a board game artist by the same name, I realised that I hadn’t listened to any Sam Phillips albums for a while, and didn’t know what she’d been up to since Fan Dance. Turns out I have about 20 years of Sam Phillips albums to catch up on. If there are any fans here, give me a recommendation : )

1 Like

This: Siw Malmkvist - Liebeskummer Lohnt Sich Nicht (1964) - YouTube

Went to see Svalbard again tonight (saw them the first time back in November) and they were great. Also ran into a couple of friends I haven’t seen in ages.

Annoyingly Tricot were meant to be playing the same place next month, but they’ve postponed till September :frowning:

3 Likes

I was looking forward to having two gigs in two nights in April. One of those has been postponed to March 2023 :pensive:

1 Like

20 years on. Still gets me.

6 Likes

That song is a gut punch and a half, I tell ya.

To go in a completely different direction, I’m mostly looking for fun music usually, but especially these days with the state of the world. So y’know what really hit the spot recently? The latest album by Scorpions, Rock Believer. It’s every bit as fun as I hoped.

Been a while since I had some new vinyl to spin.

Nordic Giants - Symbiosis

3 Likes

Ooooh never heard of them before, very much my bag, cheers!

2 Likes

Ive been a big Queen fan since I remember liking music and Ive kinda lost touch with it over recent years. But Ive had the house to myself for the past couple of hours and have been blasting out the 2 greatest hits albums (i dont really recognise the 3rd one - some good songs but not the hits…) and it has reminded me good God but they were good!

8 Likes

Queen are my all-time favourite band. I’m more partial to their first six albums (from Queen up to and including New of the World, with Queen II being my favourite), but everything they’ve done has at least SOMETHING worthwhile on it.

Fantastic band.

2 Likes

Innuendo has a special place as it was the first one I bought for myself.

But Id say their first one is probably my favourite

3 Likes

Gonna play a lot of Foo Fighters tonight.

Just… like… a lot of it.

4 Likes

Queen are so good. Even the not so good albums have good records, and the variety of music they played was unreal. It was my favourite band as a kid (I think the shock of the “I want to break free” video and “Radio Ga Ga” were my first point of contact with them, followed by the “Highlander” soundtrack) and by the mid 90s I had all their albums in CD. I remember making a tape for my friends when the Greatest Hits came out after Freddie’s death with “Hidden Gems” on the title, and some people thought that they were another band, not Queen.