What are you spinning?

Added a few tunes to my ukulele playlist this week, including George Harrison playing Arlen & Koehler’s Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea. The link here is to his 1991 performance of it on Jools Holland’s show with a bit of an all-star lineup, including Joe Brown on guitar and Herbie Flowers inexplicably dressed as Noddy:

Despite appearances George is playing a ukulele, not a guitar: it’s a Kamaka six-string.

3 Likes

I just discovered this little gem:

Dang it, I already posted my top 10 of the year…

As @TamiJo said, it is nearly Christmas, so …

You’ve reminded me how good a performance their singer gives on this cover, so I had to listen to it again.

2 Likes

Picked up some music on Bandcamp earlier, including this rather charming little number:

Rocky and Balls.

2 Likes

Officer Rob / Salty Rob: “Arr, what’s all this then?”
The Last Bristolian Pirate | The Longest Johns
Believe it or not I have some notes for a roll and write design based on the original version of the song.

Reach for the lasers

1 Like

The memories…

Thank you to this forum for putting me onto Tom Cardy. I love his new one today, and swear that Oasis have had entire hit singles using only the chords from 0.53 that he casually put out in a comedy song.

2 Likes

Oh, I love his work. And gosh he produces a fair number of bangers.

That harmony on “Dumb”. I giggle just thinking about it.

1 Like

After listening to some Queen songs this morning—having seen Bohemian Rhapsody I was in the mood—we reminisced about how I was barely old enough to remember their last album hitting the radio and then I said “Wasn’t the Black Album kind of around the same time?”

Down the rabbit hole we rediscovered what an amazing year in music 1991 was. (We checked, and neither 1990 nor 1992 comes close).

• Queen - Innuendo
  • Metallica - Black Album
  • Guns’n’Roses - Use your Illusion 1 + 2
  • Nirvana - Nevermind (plus albums from just about every Grunge band that ever existed—or so)
  • Massive Attack - Blue Lines (I want to argue that I prefer Karmacoma but whatever)
  • Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Into the Great Wide Open
  • U2 - Achtung Baby
  • REM - Losing my Religion (ok the album had another name but that’s the song that stuck

And that’s just the stuff that I care to mention… https://www.albumoftheyear.org/1991/releases/

3 Likes

I’m missing some more grunge there… Ten by Pearl Jam and Badmotorfinger from Soundgarden, plus Red Hot Chilli Peppers with Blood Sugar Sex Magik…

1 Like

I know I know… I just listed my favorite of all of these :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I remember refusing to leave the car when going shopping with my parents because they said they were premiering Innuendo on the radio. I was in that car for well over an hour on my own because I wanted to listen to ONE song! :rofl:

The others I bought that year other than those mentioned were Michael Jackson - Dangerous, Blur - Leisure, Cypress Hill - Cypress Hill, Genesis - We Can’t Dance, Seal - Seal, Bryan Adams - Waking Up The Neighbours and probably some more I can’t be bothered to look for!

I listened the crap out of the Black Album tho. Always makes me think of doing my paper-round…

2 Likes

Been a big fan of Finnish power metal (early) / prog metal (later) Sonata Arctica for a good 20 years at this point, saw 'em live a number of times (they were actually my first live metal show, and due to some stuff they pulled on-stage I will always support them), have all their albums. Recently, they released an album of acoustic renditions of some of their songs, called, imaginatively, Acoustic Adventures Vol. 1.

It’s been playing basically on a loop since it came out. Some super interesting re-interpretations. Mostly newer stuff, but they managed to turn an absolute scorcher of a song, Wolf & Raven, into a piano-driven, jazzy… thing. It’s, dare I say it, brilliant.

I don’t know how the album would land if you don’t already know the band, though.

2 Likes

Heard Californication full for the first time in ages driving to Napier and back yesterday afternoon. What a cracking album.

3 Likes

That “Broadsides” box always makes me think of Captain Dan and the Scurvy Crew, so I’m consequently listening to pirate rap. They have a song “Broadside”, but I’ll link this one instead:

2 Likes

You’ve just reminded me of Stabilizer, who came out of the Something Awful forums many years ago and had Captain Dan on one of their songs.

I had the opening of Movie Star as my ringtone for many years.

1 Like

Listening to Corn Potato String Band at the moment. Already had a couple of their albums and picked up “Good Job Everybody” on Bandcamp Friday. Wonderful old American tunes.

1 Like