Watcha Wearin'? A Thread about Wristwatches

I feel validated!

1 Like

I say, @Boydesian!

I’m eyeing off a gold Seiko on Chrono24 for a birthday self-gift. It’s just the sort of thing I want, and affordable because of a small dent in the case adding character.

The problem is that its bracelet length is listed as 180 mm, whereas my wrist measures 7⅜" on the tape, which is over 187 mm. It isn’t going to fit, is it?

Maybe not, I don’t know if the watch itself is figured in to that figure, but the lug width is 18mm, which is a very easy-to-find size for a longer replacement strap.

My watch needed its movement replaced, which was frustrating as it was less than a year out of warranty; but the new one is keeping such good time that I’m delighted!

(I absolutely do not expect perfect time-keeping from an inexpensive mechanical movement, but I’ve had the new one for about a fortnight now, and I think in all that time it’s perhaps gained one minute? That’s about 4 seconds per day. If it maintains this degree of accuracy, I’ll be absolutely stoked, because the previous one was about an order of magnitude worse.)

If it doesn’t last I might have to consider something different, though, as the initial purchase was replaced under warranty when it too failed after a few months so, from my experience, reliability doesn’t seem great with this model. Fingers crossed that I just had bad luck, and the new one is solid.

3 Likes

Maybe the old one got badly magnetised though (he says, after some reading). I wonder what kind of magnetic fields my laptop produces? I should probably read more about testing and demagnetising options, in case this shiny new movement starts being less reliable.

1 Like

We are surrounded by “secret” magnetic fields. My biggest problems are my phone case, and the clasps on my laptop case.

1 Like

There’s a jolly good sky view program for Android, but either you point it entirely manually or it assumes your phone’s compass can be trusted (you can’t lock it onto a known orientation and then use the gyro). My phone case has a magnetic clasp.

2 Likes

Today is Speedy Tuesday, so I thought a little retro vignette was in order.

3 Likes

Going to take Mom out on a glorious New England autumn day later, but for now, I’m just lounging about with an espresso and a Datejust. :smirk:

6 Likes

Now I have two of them. The first one went slightly crazy: its alarm still goes at the correct time, but the hands are 40 minutes slow. Since it’s at least 15 years old, getting a new one seemed like the best course.

2 Likes

I’m in an all blue ensemble. :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

Wow! It’s been awhile since I posted here! Today marks my 51st successful solar orbit. In honor of that significant date, I am wearing my Datejust. :laughing:

9 Likes

I hope you celebrated that in a nice way! :partying_face: :birthday: Happy birthday!

2 Likes

Thank you, my friend! The boys at the office surprised me by cooking a roast ham dinner and presenting me with something called a “Strawberry Romanov Cake”. As you can see, it was not very popular! :smirk:

9 Likes

I believe the roast ham dinner went over better than the cake :smiley:

2 Likes

We “hoovered” everything up. That cake was amazing, BTW. :smile:

2 Likes

Oh, I misunderstood then :see_no_evil: I thought, “3 pieces left? Can’t be that good!” assuming everybody ate 1 piece. :smiley:

2 Likes

I don’t eat many sweets anymore (and now I can actually fit into normal clothes again), but I’d make an exception for any “Strawberry Romanov” cakes anyone feels like gifting to me! :yum:

2 Likes

The weather here in northern New England is getting warmer. Not by much, but the sleddin’ is noticeably poorer these days. So, that means I need to change the Speedy over to the bracelet again. One of the “Rites of Spring.” :smile:

1 Like

Outrageous!

/me riots.

1 Like