Watcha Wearin'? A Thread about Wristwatches

I’m resurrecting my watch thread here. As many of you know, I am a bit of a wristwatch nerd, and like to see pictures of what watches everyone is wearing. All brands are welcome. I love mechanical watches, but I even like those powered by “demon electricity”. :smirk:

3 Likes

Today’s choice is my favorite Speedy Moonwatch. :waning_gibbous_moon:

1 Like

I own exactly one watch that cost more than $10… and here it is!

It’s my ~11 (maybe 12?) year old Citizen Eco Drive in titanium with an awful scratch across the face. I’ve lost quite a bit of weight in the last year (I was really packing on the pounds when my partner was pregnant with our youngest; I’m down about 30-35 pounds since a year ago - about the time I had to take it to my local watchist to add all of the links… I was just about to take it back in to have them taken out when my entire city went into lock down)

2 Likes

The Eco-Drive is the best light-charged movement ever devised. :+1:t3:

1 Like

I have to agree, though I have no other real reference. It was recommended to me by a watch enthusiast former coworkers of mine; he had a variety of watches but consistently wore his Eco Drive on a daily basis due to its affordability and it’s practicality.

1 Like

Here’s my Eco-Drive:

3 Likes

He knew what he was talking about.

1 Like

I’m not much for photos. I own a single watch, a Timex analog with a silver body and only three functions: time, calendar, and lighting up blue when I press the stem. I would prefer one without the calendar, but I actually like the illumination; sometimes I want to know the time in the wee hours of the night.

1 Like

I … wear no wrist watches. Because I can’t stand things on my wrist. But man are they pretty. I tried using pocket watches for a while too, but … I also can’t stand things in my pockets. Haha.

2 Likes

I didn’t wear a watch for years, but started again… thanks to boardgames. Specifically if I’m demoing for several hours at a time, I like to be able to find out what time it is without hauling out my phone and making it obvious that I’m doing it. A quick glance, and I can remind myself when it’s time to get my replacement in while I go for a break.

3 Likes

Home now lounging on the couch, watching Match Game ‘74 (one of my favorite game shows). I did the dishes when I walked through the door, so I switched to a diver as the Speedy isn’t super water resistant. :fish:

1 Like

@Boydesian - I’m not much of a watch nerd (though that speedy is lovely) but you’ve no idea how much it made me smile to see this thread started! Thank you! :grinning:

3 Likes

Does anyone but me know an app called Emerald Chronometer from Emerald Sequoia LLC? It uses NTP to keep time within 200 ms, has a huge collection of polynomial fits to various ephermides (accurate to 0.01° from 4000 BC to 2800 AD), and presents beautiful simulations of sixteen high-end watches with fascinating complications.

Mauna-Kea-F

Terra-F

Geneva-F Geneva-B

3 Likes

My current dress watch is a Seiko that very much suits my notions of what a watch ought to look like, but it is getting rather shabby after about 25 years. The goldish plating is wearing off the stainless-steel bracelet, and there is even a bit of corrosion on the base-metal case:

I don’t think it’s worth replacing the bracelet, given that the case is corroding. So I’m looking around for something similar, perhaps in more durable materials, but not more expensive than a few thousand dollars. Can anyone suggest something suitable?

4 Likes

Personally, I am a fan of the Longines Heritage Flagship model. Sub-$2k price, 38mm case, classic look. The pic below is from Longine’s US E-Store. Free shipping too.

2 Likes

So, it’s established that I own one watch that costs more than $10… But what’s the rest of the story? Let’s find out!

A while ago I went to one of those “We’re Totally Not A Chinese Company” websites that sells “luxury” accessories but, due to undescribed circumstances, is having a liquidation sale and all you have to do is pay shipping! I was not fooled, but I was interested in trying out some watch styles without investing too much. Today, here is one of those watches!

This was actually the surprise favorite of the bunch, so I’ll start with it. It has a soothing “tick” sound, so I actually keep it on my bedside table (my partner likes the ticking less than I do, but I find it extremely relaxing to listen to as a drift off to sleep).

1 Like

An Airman SST today.

3 Likes

I haven’t worn a watch for years. Not because I have become zen and calm, but because I check my smartphone enough that it’s pointless to have a thing I look at that doesn’t also tell me the news or who has insulted me on Twitter. Also I was never sure which wrist to wear it on. I started switching wrists to free myself from the wrist tyranny, but in the end it just gave me an identify crisis and made me panic.

2 Likes

I actually went a year or so without wearing mine because my (then ~1 year old) daughter liked to try to grab it and tug on it. When my second (youngest) daughter was born, my partner got into the habit of asking me dozens of time a day what time it was (because her hands were usually occupied by an infant or a toddler); I got tired of pulling my phone out of my pocket and started wearing my watch again.

2 Likes

Oh man, that’s my hell. I’m down with the ticking any time other than bedtime. Then I just focus in on the sound and stay awake.

2 Likes