Watcha Wearin'? A Thread about Wristwatches

The “0” is there because it has an internal countdown scale rather than a more conventional elapsed time scale. It’s an unusual design, and not really as useful for diving, from what I gather. Probably explains why they were only offered for a very limited time. Anyhoo, I’m not a diver, so it doesn’t really matter to me either way. :smirk:

1 Like

The important thing about a classic diving watch is that the bezel turns only anticlockwise.

(You set it to match the minute hand when you start your dive, and then you can quickly read off how long you’ve been down, so that you know when you should cut things short to avoid problems with decompression. If you’re working on a single air tank you’re unlikely to have more than an hour. The ratchet is so that if the bezel gets knocked it errs on the side of telling you longer than you’ve really been down.)

4 Likes

Correct. And this scale is unidirectional (adjustable via the crown at 2 o’clock), but from what I’ve read, divers (at least in the West) prefer to measure elapsed time rather than countdown time. Interestingly, Soviet/Warsaw Pact military dive watches were mostly countdown timing watches.

2 Likes

Interesting! Yes, it’s always been elapsed-time in the ones I’ve used - as I was trained, because you don’t have a single specific end time, you might have to budget ten minutes for the ascent plus however long it’ll take to get back out of the wreck to the start-ascent point, which will vary as you move around.

The usual sort I’ve met is a simple external bezel, this kind of thing:

4 Likes

Nice Mido! :+1:t3:

I aggravated an old lacrosse injury, which sees me in a wrist brace on my left arm for a bit. One unforeseen benefit to these Barton bands is that they come with two tag ends: one standard and one extra long. I hate wearing watches on my right wrist, so swapping out for the longer strap has made things slightly more tolerable. :sunglasses: :+1:t3:

3 Likes

Not :heart:-ing the aggravated old injury, but glad you’re making the best of it and hope your wrist starts feeling better.

1 Like

I do this every now and then. Nothing serious. :grin:

1 Like

Whoopsie! I appear to have bought another watch. It’s a CWL Super Compressor with radiant teal dial. Very ‘70s. Super compressors, as the name suggests, use a special spring assembly to compress the case as one dives deeper in order to make the case more waterproof. The compression spring is housed in the orange ring visible on the back. While ingenious, the technology was quickly surpassed, and they fell out of favor in the early 1970s. They are still really cool, and lots of people collect them. This is apparently the first true super compressor to be marketed in 50 years, and since I turned 50 this year, it seemed appropriate. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Weird question.

I’ve been eying a Christopher Ward Watch for my 40th. Bit worried my flimsy skinny wrists might not take the 40mm -41mm dial.

Can I ask what circumference your wrist is?

Hello! Sorry for the delay! My wrist is a smidge over 6.5 inches around (or 16.51 cm if you prefer). The average male wrist is about 7 inches or so. For me, 40mm is the “sweet spot”, but my fave, the Speedmaster, is a 42mm and looks perfectly cromulent on my narrow wrist. If your wrist is smaller, I’d probably stick to something 36mm - 40mm. Truthfully, lug length has more to do with size unsuitability than case diameter. My Seiko Turtle is 45mm, but has very short lugs, so it looks fine.

Hope that helps!

BTW, which model are you considering, if you don’t mind telling?

2 Likes

Big help thanks. I reckon I could probably make a 40 ish diameter work.

I’m eyeing two, my choice is going to be probably dependent on how much I end up splurging.

C60 Sapphire
This is a very nice watch but possibly a bit more casual, with this strap combination anyway.

C1 Moonglow
This would be my preference as it looks like a great allrounder (smart/casual) and I love the moon phase complication. The price difference is the only thing making me pause at the moment.

2 Likes

Haven’t worn a watch now for many months, since I’ve been working at home. However, depressed by my declining fitness and increasing girth I decided to take the plunge and buy the cheapest halfway-decent fitness tracker I could get - an Honor Band 5 - in order to prompt myself to do something about it.

Not entirely offensive to look at, but these things are much of a muchness. Plenty of faces to choose from, so at least the watch is easy to read. The only truly annoying thing, and it seems to apply to all of these devices, is that in order to measure heart rate, blood oxygen level and all that it has to be worn with the face on the outside of the wrist, not the inside. As a result I’ve spent most of the evening periodically glancing at the strap buckle.

4 Likes

Of the two, the Moonglow is my favorite. I am enamored with moon phase complications, but they are almost always too dressy for me. The Moonglow strikes a great balance between sporty and dressy that makes it much more versatile than one would normally expect. That said, the Sapphire is a real looker. I really like it on the bracelet, but tastes vary on that. I’m sure you’d enjoy either one. :+1:t4:

2 Likes

I’m experimenting with different straps on the Super Compressor. It’s my new summertime go-to watch. :grin: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Like the blue with the blue face.

1 Like

Yes, blue strap looks classy.

1 Like

Well today I’ve looped the sun 40 times so here is the commemorative watch.

Went for a swerve ball of the sealander elite. It’s lovely to wear, super light and the cut through casing (which I’ll take some photos of later) is amazing.

11 Likes

Photo of the smarter strap and the rather awesome cutouts through the watch. Not sure why this impresses me so much,

4 Likes

Excellent choice! :+1:t3:

1 Like