Top 10 Games ranking

I had that for a while! When I sold it on I made a point of giving the buyer a link to the “how to pack everything into the box so that it actually shuts” video.

2 Likes

We just chuck it all in, which turns out to work fine

4 Likes

In my head, I could see @RogerBW eyebrows jumping out in disbelief :smiley:

5 Likes

According pubmeeple…

1. Lost Ruins of Arnak - love this. It’s probably top because it finds its way to the table very easily with it being my girlfriend’s go-to game.
  2. Flamme Rouge - surprised with how high this came out but it never fails to make me laugh. It’s a simple, clever game.
  3. Wingspan - don’t need to say much about that one, far better than I expected it to be.
  4. The Taverns of Tiefenthal - often see mixed reviews of this one, but with all modules in it’s a blast. Plus it has a nice theme.
  5. 7 Wonders - I think this in here because I’m missing playing with a good size group…
  6. The Quest for El Dorado - fun race game, easy to pick up and teach and it’s almost always a close race.
  7. Fugitive - love this. It nails the feeling of being chased so well.
  8. That’s Pretty Clever! - this and the sequel are impossible to stop playing. We went through the entire pad of the second game in a few weeks.
  9. Ticket to Ride: Europe - in a bubble with my brother who is new to games. He really likes this one, so it’s made its way back up the list.
  10. The Isle of Cats - my favourite polyomino game. It’s got enough going on else where to keep it fresh each time.

Whenever I have done this on pubmeeple it seems to be more a list of what I’m playing right now more than my top. I might edit this to add a more considered list later. But there’s some that aren’t moving at all.

4 Likes

That I have owned for a couple of months now and I haven’t got to the table yet. I have to change that soon.

1 Like

Now I’ve got the collection from of me I can see a few games missing from my bgg list, so the top 10 should probably have Orleans and Raiders of the North Sea in there instead of Ticket to Ride and Isle of Cats respectively.

2 Likes

I really love it, but I get it’s not to everyone’s taste. The common criticism I’ve heard of the basic version is there’s not enough ways to mitigate bad dice rolls, but with all modules in there’s plenty of ways.

I made some pretty heavy cuts to my Pubmeeple list before running the ranking. I disallowed games which have been removed from my collection (irrespective of how once-beloved/thoroughly played), nixed any games in my collection currently unplayed (a scant few), and selectively cut most of the games I’ve only one-handed thus far—only one of these squeaked in (Xia).

So, in Pubmeeple’s estimation, my current 10 are, in order:

1) Rallyman GT: I just got this on Saturday and it’s set my world on fire. This is instantly and without hesitation my desert island game. I’m half a dozen races deep since Saturday.
2) Container: Slow boats 'n boxes and still the best quietly raucous game in my closet.
3) Catacombs: It gets played the least among my dexterity games, but it’s always an event. The brilliance of this system is hard to gush about in only a few words.
4) Chinatown: I was surprised to see this one get so high, but then again, I can play it with literally anyone, always gets ugly (in a good way), and wraps up in an hour. A quintessential family game and the defacto replacement for Monopoly.
5) Space Base: I think Rallyman stole some of Space Base’s thunder here. If I ran this list on Friday I think it’s reasonably safe to say it would have hit my top 3. It’s a Crapsbuilder, it’s as fun as that sounds (does that sound fun though? Really?) and it’s never leaving my collection.
6) Flamme Rouge: Another game taken down a few pegs by Rallyman, but I’m more likely to play this with non-gaming friends, and started doing just that in grand fashion… just before the pandemic hit. Deeply beloved.
7) Lost Ruins of Arnak: Another newcomer. There isn’t one thing I can point to here, but it just feels good to play and my partner and I have had a heck of a good time exploring its subtleties (and developing a really tight rivalry while we’re at it).
8) Decrypto: just the right amount of party, just the right amount of clever. My favourite “password-like”.
9) War Chest: This beauty isn’t getting played as much as it used to, but it remains the singular direct-conflict game my partner legitimately enjoys. The 2P game is exquisite, the team game is a blast, the bagbuilding eliminates the rote issues with other chesslikes while offering a delightful off-map crunch, and it was produced with a permanence in mind through its wonderfully tactile, clay chips. Not being played as much, no, but never played out and in no risk of a cull.
*10) Yokohama: And it’s here that I’ll need to place a big old asterisk. Up to this point, I allowed the rankings through Pubmeeple to fall where they may. Xia: Legends of a Drift System took the 10th place in my list, but I think my enthusiasm got the better of me in the polls. Xia already barely snuck into the poll, but I’m not letting it take a top 10 based on a couple of solo plays (though my god, what a game!).

Yokohama then, gets bumped into 10th place and I feel like that’s good and right. Many of you will know I am a massive fan of Teotihuacan, but dumped it earlier this year after Tascini outed himself as a racist. Teo surely would have made it (well) into the list, but it’s not in my collection and so didn’t get ranked. Yoko, meanwhile, was the game that prompted me to buy Teo in the first place (Yoko had become incredibly hard to find in its Deluxified version). I’ve played Yokohama a great deal less than Teotihuacan, but I feel like 10th is a good starting point for this much-beloved game, and I’m happy I finally jumped off the deep end to get it onto my shelf.

[EDIT] Forgot the sexy 9x9!

Random fact: 11 of my currently 35 games start with C or F.

8 Likes

Never used PubMeeple before, so I gave it a try. After doing some of the comparisons, I went ahead and removed any game from my collection that I have never played, since I could not actually vote for them in good faith. Got the following:

1 Twilight Imperium: Fourth Edition
2 Unmatched: Cobble & Fog
3 Unmatched: Battle of Legends, Volume One
4 Inis
5 Marvel Champions: The Card Game
6 Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game
7 Star Wars: Imperial Assault
8 Spirit Island
9 Unmatched: Robin Hood vs. Bigfoot
10 Unmatched: Jurassic Park – InGen vs Raptors

I realize that I should probably group all the Unmatched together into one (and X-Wing, as the Force Awakens set was just below), which gives me this:

1 Twilight Imperium: Fourth Edition
2 Unmatched
3 Inis
4 Marvel Champions: The Card Game
5 Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game
6 Star Wars: Imperial Assault
7 Spirit Island
8 Treasure Island
9 Concordia
10 Everdell

My ranking system for PubMeeple may not have been the best, however, as it was ranking the games in my desire to play them. If I added up all of these games and the number of times I have played them, I am confident I would have less than 50 plays total. I’ve only played TI4 and Everdell once each, Treasure Island and Spirit Island twice each, and Inis three times. I have not played X-Wing in years now, and probably had less than ten plays of it.

With so many comparisons to make, some of my decisions were somewhat arbitrary, but I just considered which game I would prefer to play given the time and the desired player count. And I know my desire to play some of these is strongly influenced by the fact that they have not hit the table often. For that matter, a number of games I have not yet played would also be highly ranked, simply because I really want to try them out (Orleans and Hansa Teutonica are among the top).

6 Likes

This could take a while…

A.K.A. there are downsides to enormous collections…

14 Likes

Put a threshold. Only rank games you rated X or above.

3 Likes

That only works if you have ranked the games.

1 Like

Yeah, which I have a mix of up-to-date ratings and not… But I managed to trim it down to only have 178 items in the ranking engine.

1 Like

The ranking according to PubMeeple
1 Power Grid
2 Quantum
3 Race for the Galaxy
4 Ra
5 Keyflower
6 Brass: Lancashire
7 Babylonia
8 El Grande Decennial Edition
9 Glass Road
10 Lords of Vegas

With the almost obligatory picture

Positions 11 -20 are
11 The Quest for El Dorado
12 Incan Gold
13 For Sale
14 Ticket to Ride
15 Blokus
16 Pan Am
17 Carcassonne Big Box 6
18 Rallyman: GT
19 Arboretum
20 Qwinto

If I only had those 20 games I’d be pretty happy. Every time I do this sort of ranking I always think that some comparisons can’t be made, such as the Klask/Brass comparison was a random choice as I can’t compare these two games at all in my head. I might get my collection sort by weight/length or something and slice the comparisons that way.

5 Likes

I’ll play those 10 without hesitation!

3 Likes

I am still adding everyone to my spreadsheet… I’ll post an updated list later.

If I could be sure everyone had the same format (hint hint export csv from pubmeeple) I could easily add more than 10 games per person which could lead to a better aggregate ranking as games that hover outside our top 10s get counted.

edit:

Top 20 after 14 people posted Top 10s

First colum is title, sum is how many votes were received and points are the sum of the assigned positions with 1 getting 10 points and 2 getting 9 etc.

3 Likes

Now I’m having Pearple’s Choice nomination-counting flashbacks. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

with 10 games and a spreadsheet with input validation it isn’t that bad. but for entering more than 10 games it would start to become a hassle quickly. but the results would be more interesting I am thinking :slight_smile: especially because we’re not going to get to large voter numbers.

1 Like

Only 9 out of 19 got the SUSD badge. Very interesting!

2 Likes

Flamme Rouge is on #20 below the banner that shows the filename…
But yes, the forum is not populated by SUSD worshippers

I wonder if I could do something like a SUSD score for everyone :stuck_out_tongue: but for that I would need to add data about what SUSD reviews … hmmm statistics… nomnom…

1 Like