Tom's Top 92ish Board Games (as of March 2022)

Two of the four rooms in our house are bedrooms. But the dining/kitchen/living room sofa is a sofa bed, and we do have a gaming table…

4 Likes

I’m sure we’ll all fit.

@yashima I do like the look of the Marvel one.

1 Like

As long as it doesn’t do what Marvel Love Letter did. Make a nice game into a 1 v all with fiddly extra components.

1 Like

What’s everyone’s feeling on Pipeline? Classic or just one of those games you have and keep?

And the Red Rising one already out there.

I’ve only played it once and it wasn’t obvious how to get the economy going.

I’d like to play it again to find out if I can improve

1 Like

Me and @EnterTheWyvern have opposing feelings with it :joy:

1 Like

(with gratitude to Roger for compiling the list)

Things I didn’t know exist, now know exist (by way of this list and Tom’s video), and still don’t care enough to look into until I see more information about it

• Hörreos, Antinomy, Moving Pictures, Unsurmountable, banned books, Kintsugi

• For Science

• Maskmen

• Hundreds of Horses

• Geistes Blitz

• Night of the Ninja

• That Time You Killed Me

• Dealt

• Rustling Leaves

I won it in an auction but the seller never completed the transaction and I haven’t managed to find another copy for a reasonable price since

• Death Angel

Things I probably would buy if it were convenient and cheap

• ROVE – just saw coverage of this as part of an expansion campaign, I think. I downloaded a Print-n-Play file for the base game that I’ll get around to printing just as soon as I can be bothered to.

• In Vino Morte, Food Chain Island, Avignon: A Clash of Popes – I’ve had my eye on these, probably get thrown in the next time I make a Button Shy order

• Don’t Get Got SUSD – not really my thing. And compatible parties are unlikely to happen for the next 10 years.

• Undaunted Normandy + North Africa + Reinforcements – Very tempted by this. I adore some of David Thompson’s other work and I really want to see how well this one holds up. It’s just been hard to find for a good price.

• Beyond the Sun – it was hard to ignore the buzz this was getting, and then it was out of stock, and then secondhand prices went crazy, and now there’s almost no buzz… but… it’s probably still buzzworthy.

• Cosmic Encounter – been looking for a copy of this for a long time. It doesn’t really seem like my sort of game. And it is probably too flimsy of a design for me to enjoy. But I feel as though a well-rounded collection needs to classic nonsense.

• Now Boarding – was really interested in this one after NPI’s coverage of it, but its limited availability makes it a hard one to track down

• Ell Deck / Wibbell++ – would probably grab a copy if it cropped up somewhere convenient

• Herbaceous – hard to track down secondhand due to its popularity with the solo crowd, I think

• Startups – probably the next of the Oink games I would consider getting.

• Schummel Hummel, Cockroach Poker, Assel Schlomossel (Woodlouse Chaos), Kakerlaken Suppe (Cockroach Soup) – have considered all of them. Cockroach poker is the only one I’ve seen readily available in retail around here. I don’t particularly like bugs and the art for all of them is offputting.

• No Thanks – never seems to come up on the secondhand market.

• The Crew Mission Deep Sea – have Crew1, would probably like Crew2. My partner doesn’t have love for trick taking like I do… so Crew1 is still untested.

• Hey That’s My Fish – probably should look closer at this, as it’s probably worth having

I have <thing X> instead

• Burgle Bros 2 – I have the first one, unplayed.

• Just One – Wavelength and Decrypto (and probably others) are occupying this spot in the collection.

• Schotten Totten – have Battleline

• Terra Mystica – Gaia Project (have a friend who owns Terra Mystica and coule borrow)

• Renature – I like K&K games but this looks pretty derivative. Recently tracked down the beautiful Supermeeple edition of Mexica

• A Distant Plain – I have Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar and Colonial Twilight: The French-Algerian War, 1954-62. FS has been nigh inscrutable for having to run 3 bots or play 4-handed, so I picked up CT:tF-AW because it’s single-bot or 2-handed to solo, as an onramp to COIN. If both end up being interesting enough to keep and keep exploring COIN, I would probably pick up Pendragon (next best theme in my opinion, but the crunchiest of the COINs) or All Bridges Burning: Red Revolt and White Guard in Finland (because Finland never ceases to amaze and impress me). I prefer older conflicts over recent conflicts. I have also P500’d the future, scifi COIN: Red Dust Rebellion

Probably doesn’t actually count

• North Berkeley – I’ve had the PnP files for this one for a while

Played and didn’t care for

• Cubitos – I wanted to roll lots of cool dice and do some cool racing. But instead I rolled a few dice and most of my time was spent trying to figure out what dice to buy next; the map/racing aspect of the game was not interesting and the dice themselves were a bit of a letdown. “Oooh, I’ve got my awesome die! Well, crap, it rolled one of it’s 3 uninteresting sides. Oh well, maybe next time.”

Researched to some degree and decided against

• Oath – probably fine. But I thought the Kickstarter coverage of it looks pretty dull. The promise of the everchanging deck seems as though it would be underwhelming in play.

• Twilight Imperium 4 + Prophecy – I decided that Eclipse is more of my epic 4x space jam than TI

• A Feast For Odin – maybe I’d like it. Polyominoes are not really my thing. I have so many big-box Rosenbergs

• A Game of Thrones The Board Game – never got into the books. Never watched the show. Maybe it’s a good game, but even fans of both the show and strategy games have suggested it’s not great. Pass.

• Pax Pamir 2e – I’ve went out on a limb for many, many other weird political strategy games, but this one, despite being beautifully produced, just rubs me the wrong way. Probably a better game than dozens in my collection, but I’m okay with not having it.

• Babylonia – I’ve waffled on this one before. It’s been in and out of my watchlist for a couple of years.

• Skull – can be played with a regular deck of cards

• Curious Cargo – 2-player games are so hard to get to the table. This one because it’s so cutthroat and I don’t enjoy cutthroat games and, especially, cutthroat 2-player games.

• MonsDRAWsity (2 boxes) – would want to play it first. Probably fun. I have (12-player) Telestrations as a fun drawing game.

• Monikers (2 boxes) – not really my thing, nor the thing of most of my friends. We could always just play Celebrity instead if we were so inclined.

• Sleeping Gods – Never found a Ryan Laukat game that I actually like, I doubt it would start here

• Radlands – looks fun, just not something I need

• Super-Skill Pinball (2 boxes) – Kinda meh on it. Not really interested in it for solo, and it looks like a pretty boring multiplayer experience.

• Fantasy Realms – looking to pick up a less-problematic-art-direction edition once its available

• Arboretum – a bit too mean and have lots of other mean card games that don’t get played, ones with easier scoring

• Corrosion – thought it looked somewhat interesting when I did the BGG contest for it, but immediately forgot about it. If it sticks around, gets an expansion and otherwise continues to get buzz, I might put it on my watchlist.

• Bitoku – have only heard about it tangentially and still don’t know a lot about it other than some people “like it”

• Imperial Steam – I had this on my watchlist for a while, but when I found a good deal on a copy, I couldn’t remember anything at all about it. Maybe it’s good? I dunno.

• Cascadia – I remember seeing coverage of this and I still don’t remember it. Wasn’t interesting enough to keep my attention, I guess.

• Dune – Political strategy isn’t really my thing. See also: Pax Pamir 2e. I would dread teaching Dune, I think.

3 Likes

There is good overlap with mine too. But it seems that my difference with people’s collections is that I only have 6 of what people would consider “modern Euros” (7, if you count Hansa Toot)

I would own all of the Iron Rails too, but found that I prefer Chi-Ex over Irish Gauge (even though imo Irish Gauge is solid AF) and I prefer Trans Siberian Railway over Iberian Gauge (both by Holland)

Love his selection of Oink games. That would be mine too, plus Insider Tom needs Scout. Another banger from Oink.

3 Likes

Some of the games feel like Tom had a connection to them with their link to his time on SUSD (first reviews and so on).

Cubitos is a bad mix of theme and mechanisms. As soon as you can decide to stand still in a racing game I feel like you’ve lost something and maybe a better theme should be used.

4 Likes

No Thanks is $10 at Target…

HTMF is a fun game that hits above its weight in terms of interest and gameplay. That said, set up is a pain and it is non-essential. There’s a (possibly abandoned) app for 0.99 on both IOS and Android and I’d steer you that way to get the experience.

Cubitos just rounds out my memory that “Fun Month” was a series of lukewarm and negative reviews. Followed by gushing coverage in Beige Month.

Give me Nations, Hansa Teutonica, and Troyes!

1 Like

I may as well jump on the bandwagon.

A friend already has this: Tigris & Euphrates, Wibbell++, Roll for the Galaxy (and Race is better), Death Angel, QE, Galaxy Trucker, No Thanks, Great Western Trail

I dislike (modern) wargames: Undaunted, Pax Pamir 2e, Memoir '44, A Distant Plain

I dislike campaign/legacy games: Oath, That Time You Killed Me (though I do kinda want this one), Sleeping Gods

I dislike roll ‘n’ writes: Fleet the Dice Game, Rustling Leaves, Super-Skill Pinball

I have plenty of party games/I don’t think these would go down well: Don’t Get Got (I don’t know how long it’s been since I’ve been to the kind of party where this would work), Just One, MonsDRAWsity, Wavelength, Deception: Murder in Hong Kong

I (or a friend) already have something similar (or that fills the same niche): Ride the Rails, Iberian Gauge, A Feast For Odin, Schummel Hummel, Assel Schlomossel, Kakerlaken Suppe, Nusfjord, Glass Road, Hansa Teutonica, Babylonia, Dealt, Radlands, Renature, The Quest for El Dorado, Cascadia, Modern Art, Blue Lagoon

I would own if they weren’t too expensive to justify: Button Shy (various), Food Chain Magnate, Cosmic Encounter, Root, Bus, Terra Mystica

I just have zero interest in these: Burgle Bros 2 (played the original and it was meh), North Berkeley, Beyond the Sun, Cubitos, For Science (I fell asleep during NPI’s video about it), Now Boarding, Herbaceous, Maskmen, Schotten Totten, A Game of Thrones The Board Game, Hundreds of Horses, Curious Cargo, Night of the Ninja, Innovation, The Crew, Corrosion, Bitoku, Imperial Steam, Pipeline, Catacombs, Dune

Special cases:

• Brass Birmingham - Rejected on principle due to excluding Leicester
  • Twilight Imperium - I’d love to know someone who owns it, so I could play it some time. But I could never justify owning it myself.
  • Sidereal Confluence - Similar to TI. I just don’t think I could get it played enough (or at all) to justify owning it.
  • Fantasy Realms - I’d love a retheme with new art.
1 Like

I really like Pipeline. There’s something focussed about the scoring but there are different paths to the same end. I also like the arc of the game, the flow from rounds 1-3 is excellent and doesn’t really let up the tension at any point, so it avoids the feeling of doing the same but with bigger numbers being overwhelming, although there is some of that. You have to be focussed from the off and build up. It’s not too strict so there is a little wiggle room when other players sequence actions to mess you up.

I get the impression you quite like a modern/combo euro. So I think there’s a good chance you would enjoy it. I think it’s heavier than Pulsar 2849 or a Shem Philips game, by a stretch, which are what I call to mind of discussions with you but can’t remember if that would bother you/your group.

2 Likes

I hated Pipeline. But I did play it tired and hungover and needing to cook lunch. I was rubbish at the spatial puzzle. By the end of the game 2 players were churning these ridiculous engines whilst I was essentially poking things with a stick.

I reckon there is a great game there, but not my cup of tea at all

1 Like

We didn’t have the auto-threading here in January 2020 when “Matt’s Top 59 Board Games (as of January 2020)” was posted so I’ll stick this here instead. If it turns out that we want a thread about “SU&SDers’ collections” that would seem reasonable…

This counts just the stuff that was actually shelved, not the review-pile-overflow on the bed.

Grey Box 1

• weird cards
  • Hey, That’s My Fish (in a bag)
  • Arkham Horror card game expansions
  • Two Rooms and a Boom P&P
  • FFG Star Wars mat
  • Prototype for first Monikers Nonsense Box
  • Funemployed
  • Bargain Quest
  • Pandemic + Pandemic - In the Lab (“all the expansions in these two boxes”)
    [shelf]
  • Silk
  • (PAX Unplugged card sleeves)
  • Mysterium
  • The Taverns of Tiefenthal
  • The Quacks of Quedlinburg
  • Pandemic Legacy Season 2
  • V-Commandos + Résistance + Secret Weapons

Return to Grey Box (the expansion)

• Inis
  • Sheriff of Nottingham + Merry Men expansion
  • Cosmic Encounter (+ Cosmic Storm in shrink)
  • Brass Birmingham
  • Lords of Vegas
  • Arctic Scavengers big box
    [shelf]
  • Arkham Horror card game
  • Keyforge
  • Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
  • Last Will
  • unknown brown case (maybe chess or backgammon set?)
  • Bärenpark (expansion box has just the monorail towers)
  • unknown plastic bag to the right of Bärenpark
  • Lowlands
  • Ladies & Gentlemen
  • Tigris & Euphrates

Grey Box 2

• Altiplano
  • Keyflower
  • Alchemists
  • Pipeline
  • Forbidden Stars
    [shelf]
  • Kemet (with expansions)
  • Gloomhaven
  • Imperial Assault

The Other Cupboard

• Insider
  • Monikers (several boxes)
  • The Metagame
  • The Game
  • Ultimate Werewolf
  • Coup
  • Mascarade
  • Citadels
  • Condottiere
    [shelf]
  • Arboretum
  • Railroad Ink (blue)
  • Ice Team
  • Burgle Bros
  • Paperback
  • Machi Koro
    [shelf]
  • Not Alone
  • One Night Ultimate Werewolf
  • The Resistance: Avalon
  • Decrypto
  • Pictomania
3 Likes

Wow, I own a gigantic TWO of Matt’s collection (Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective and Railroad Ink Blue).

And not much more of Tom’s:
Sprawlopolis, Herbaceous (pocket), High Society, Cascadia, Dune.

However, there’s a lot in Tom’s collection I very much want, in rough order:
Beyond the Sun, Inis + Seasons, Concordia, Pax Pamir 2e, The Quest for El Dorado, Great Western Trail

2 Likes

My overlap with 2020-Matt: Mysterium, Quacks, V-Commandos, Coup, RRI Blue, Not Alone, Resistance Avalon.

1 Like

This was my favourite game of 2015. Highly recommend

6 Likes

My overlap with Matt:

Hey, That’s My Fish
Funemployed
Bargain Quest
Silk
Mysterium
Inis
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
Bärenpark
Lowlands
Altiplano
Monikers
The Metagame
Coup
Citadels
Condottiere
Arboretum
Ice Team Bear Chess
Paperback
The Resistance: Avalon
Decrypto
Pictomania

So the exact same amount I share with Tom! (If you count Evolution, and only a couple of Button Shy games as I couldn’t see more to confirm.)

1 Like

I’m on a roll apparently. “Quinns’ Top 136 Board Games (as of April 2019)”

Not here

• Decrypto
  • Sheriff of Nottingham
  • Kemet
  • Food Chain Magnate
  • Infinity

Main section

Column 1

• Through the Desert
  • Tigris and Euphrates
  • Ra
  • Samurai
    [shelf]
  • Modern Art
  • Taj Mahal
  • Trains Rising Sun
  • Archipelago
    [shelf]
  • Quantum
  • El Dorado
  • Flamme Rouge
  • Merchants & Marauders
    [shelf]
  • Cosmic Encounter
  • Twilight Imperium
  • Carcassonne

Column 2

• Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective + expansion
  • Watson & Holmes
  • Witness
  • Tash-Kalar
    [shelf]
  • Whitehall Mystery
  • Letters from Whitechapel
  • Mysterium
  • Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
  • Fury of Dracula
    [shelf]
  • Pictomania
  • Lords of Vegas
  • Kingsburg
  • Tales of the Arabian Nights
    [shelf]
  • 1812 Invasion of Canada + 1775 Rebellion
  • El Grande
  • Shogun

Column 3

• Citadels
  • Terra Mystica
  • Lowlands
  • Power Grid
  • Concordia
    [shelf]
  • Betrayal at House on the Hill
  • Scrabble
  • Ghost Stories + Black Secret
  • City of Horror
    [shelf]
  • Roll for the Galaxy
  • Race for the Galaxy
  • Space Cadets
  • Space Cadets Dice Duel
  • Robo Rally + expansions
    [shelf]
  • Root + expansion
  • Rex
  • Dogs of War

Column 4

• Castles of Burgundy
  • Istanbul
  • Great Western Trail
  • Village
    [shelf]
  • A Feast for Odin
  • Nusfjord
  • Isle of Skye + expansion
    [shelf]
  • Chinatown
  • Ladies & Gentlemen
  • Ethnos
  • Panic on Wall Street
  • Sidereal Confluence
    [shelf]
  • Space Alert
  • Steam Park
  • Captain Sonar
  • Escape the Curse of the Temple

On top

• Vinhos
  • Inis
  • Mafia de Cuba
  • Flick 'em Up + Red Rock Tomahawk
  • Brass Birmingham
  • (playing cards)
  • Sushi Go Party
  • Escape From the Aliens in Outer Space (Ultimate Edition)
  • Hanafuda deck

Too Large Games

• Century Spice Road + Eastern Wonders
  • Space Base + Shy Pluto
  • Fireball Island + expansions
  • Mage Wars + Forcemaster vs Warlord
  • Battlegrounds Domination
  • Container
  • Conan
  • Blood on the Clocktower (prototype)
  • Galaxy Trucker (anniversary edition)
  • Star Wars X-Wing and Armada shelf of shame