Tom's Top 92ish Board Games (as of March 2022)

Someone should ask @Benkyo how many bedrooms his Japanese mansion has.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll ask my partner, too. Expecting the answer to be something along the lines of: 2032

3 Likes

My anticipated response: If I and the girls can train around Hokkaido and eat Uni all week, then yes.

2 Likes

Having time to watch the video at lastā€¦ Iā€™m seeing a surprising proportion of small-box games compared with most collections Iā€™ve seen. (Particularly considering that Button Shy display along the top.)

(I pronounce the shelving system as Kallax btw.)

Games in the collection that I also have: Just One, Startups, Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, Jaipur, Avalon (well, The Resistance), Modern Art (I have the tiny edition). None of them in my ā€œpretty sure I will always keep thisā€ tier except The Resistance.

(Is the green one above El Dorado the green Railroad Ink Challenge? I donā€™t think so, but if so, add that.)

3 Likes

Moving on from bird Mispronunciation, I have more games in common with Tom than I do with most people:

Irish Guage
In Vino Morte
Food Chain Island
Concordia
Inis (+Seasons)
The King is Dead
Race for the Galaxy
Cockroach Poker
Decrypto
Startups
A Fake Artist Goes to New York
Skull
Monikers
Jaipur
Evolution (not Tomā€™s game)
The Estates
The Resistance: Avalon
High Society
Ghost Blitz
Arboretum
Hey, Thatā€™s My Fish!

4 Likes

Oh, fun!

Games Tom and I both have

• Sprawlopolis (possibly a couple of other Button Shy games)
  • Irish Gauge
  • Ride the Rails
  • Iberian Gauge
  • Artefact
  • Tigris & Euphrates
  • Brass: Birmingham
  • Food Chain Magnate
  • Inis (+Seasons)
  • Concordia
  • The King is Dead (Second Edition)
  • Chinatown
  • Burgle Bros (the first)
  • Decrypto
  • A Fake Artist Goes to New York
  • The Quest for El Dorado
  • Roll for the Galaxy
  • Race for the Galaxy
  • Nusfjord
  • Glass Road
  • Hansa Teutonica Big Box
  • Bus
  • Root (+expansions)
  • Sidereal Confluence
  • Memoir '44
  • The Estates
  • Wavelength
  • Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
  • Innovation (+expansion)
  • Jaipur
  • QE
  • Galaxy Trucker (differing editions, though)
  • Evolution (even though itā€™s not Tomā€™s)
  • Fleet: The Dice Game
  • Avalon
  • High Society
  • Crew: Quest for Planet Nine
  • Great Western Trail (differing editions)
  • Pipeline
  • Catacombs
  • Modern Art
  • Blue Lagoon
4 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure the company is Ospraay but theyā€™re saying it Ospreee as a running joke.

Also I was surprised to see virtually no chunky thematic games in his collection. Matt had/has Star Wars Imperial Assault and Gloomhaven, and Quinnā€™s had/has the Conan game but there is almost none of that type in Toms. The closest would be Inis? TI which are sort of miniatures games. I guess Tom is just a dry dry boy.

3 Likes

Not really surprising that the biggest collection we know has a lot in common with ANYONE elseā€™sā€¦ :wink:

8 Likes

So Iā€™ve got a whopping 46 of overlap. And I think 23 that overlap with both Tom and Pillbox, which means I have at least 23 games which Pillbox does not own. I didnā€™t know that was possible.

• Irish Gauge
  • Tigris & Euphrates
  • Brass: Birmingham
  • Inis + Seasons
  • Concordia + oh dear thatā€™s a lot of expansions and maps
  • The King is Dead 2e
  • Chinatown
  • Burgle Bros
  • Decrypto
  • Roll for the Galaxy
  • Race for the Galaxy
  • Nusfjord
  • Sidereal Confluence
  • Memoir '44
  • Innovation + 2 expansions
  • Jaipur
    The Crew: Quest for Deep Planet Sea Nine
  • Great Western Trail (1e)
  • Catacombs (and Castles, the party version)
  • Blue Lagoon
  • The Resistance (not Avalon, but yes Hidden Agenda)
  • Skull
  • Arboretum
  • Babylonia
  • Hey, Thatā€™s My Fish!
  • NISEI Netrunner
  • A Feast for Odin + Norwegians
  • Schotten Totten
  • Fantasy Realms
  • Monikers
  • Dune
  • Cascadia
  • Beyond the Sun
  • Twilight Imperium 4e
  • Cosmic Encounter (+3)
  • Pax Pamir 2e
  • Watergate
  • New York Zoo
  • Railroad Ink Challenge

Then some throwaways:

• No Thanks
  • Sprawlopolis
  • Liberation (Iā€™m assuming this is in the button shy stack)
  • Food Chain Island
  • Start-ups (part of my extended collection actually owned by my sister-in-law)
5 Likes

I should really like to make a list of my overlap but as I have no picture perfect memory and am too lazy to go through the whole video, I can simply state that I have a pretty big overlap and that as a first time for such a video I am not adding tons of games to my ā€œomg must have thisā€ list. The one game from his collection I do not have or havenā€™t played but most want to try is: GWT. Yes, I still havenā€™t played GWT. I am patiently awaiting BGA letting it out of Alpha (no hurry, really) to check it out with my partner who might enjoy itā€”if he does, Iā€™ll buy it of course.

Tom has a couple of games I got rid of. Most notably Wavelength. This totally missed the mark for my online group when we tried it.

Seeing how many of his games come from Quinns collection, I feel his collection is very very SUSD.

3 Likes

Reading that makes me think ā€œperhaps I should list the games Tom has that I donā€™t and why I donā€™t own themā€. If someone else made a comprehensive list of what Tom owned, I would do so

4 Likes

Well I have found Quinns on BGG, but neither Matt nor Tom nor Ava and even if they were on there I am not sure theyā€™d have up to date collection information. (I use reviewerā€™s for my Geek Buddy Analysis which is really handy when I am too lazy to look up their reviews all over again)

2 Likes

I"m interested in @pillbox 's question. Also I start wandering toward the question of ā€œwhat is the most galling omission from the SUSD pantheon?ā€ I always like, when I go to a friendā€™s house (oh gosh, remember that?) looking over the bookshelves and movie shelves (they never have any game shelves, but it would be the same thing). You learn a bit about the person. These collections are personal.

So thereā€™s a tiny bit of ā€œpersonalā€ woven into the games the influencers have ignored.

Most of my favorites have at least gotten the nod in passing, even if they didnā€™t stay on the shelves. Babylonia got me muttering. I acknowledge Empyrealā€™s foibles even if I still love it.

Scanning my collection, the West Kingdom trilogy and Neom are the only ones I really think deserved press and praise but got snubbed. Thatā€™s not too long a list. Neom was mentioned in one of the playthroughs, but Kylie declined to review it in favor of bashing Underwater Cities.

3 Likes

Well this is a thing Iā€™ve half done already soā€¦

Top Shelf:

• Irish Gauge
  • Ride the Rails
  • Iberian Gauge

Unboxed Games Not To Be Named

Button Shy:

• Hƶrreos
  • ROVE
  • Antinomy
  • Moving Pictures
  • Food Chain Island
  • In Vino Morte
  • Unsurmountable
  • banned books
  • Sprawlopolis
  • Avignon: A CLash of Popes
  • Kintsugi

Column 1

• Donā€™t Get Got SUSD
  • The King Is Dead
  • Undaunted Normandy + North Africa + Reinforcements
  • Burgle Bros 2
  • [shelf]
  • Food Chain Magnate
  • North Berkeley
  • Inis + Seasons
  • Beyond the Sun
  • Concordia
  • [shelf]
  • Tigris & Euphrates
  • Cubitos
  • Cosmic Encounter
  • Brass Birmingham
  • [shelf]
  • For Science
  • Oath
  • Twilight Imperium 4 + Prophecy

Column 2

• Now Boarding
  • Decrypto
  • Just One
  • Ell Deck / Wibbell++
  • Herbaceous
  • A Feast For Odin
  • Startups
  • Maskmen
  • A Fake Artist Goes to New York
  • Schotten Totten
  • [shelf]
  • Schummel Hummel
  • Cockroach Poker
  • Assel Schlomossel (Woodlouse Chaos)
  • Kakerlaken Suppe (Cockroach Soup)
  • unknown pale green game
  • Race for the Galaxy/Roll for the Galaxy
  • A Game of Thrones The Board Game
  • [shelf]
  • Nusfjord
  • Glass Road
  • Pax Pamir 2e
  • Babylonia
  • [shelf]
  • Hundreds of Horses
  • Root + expansions
  • Bus
  • Terra Mystica

Column 3

• unknown silver case (not poker chips) and packs of cards to the left?
  • Geistes Blitz
  • Skull
  • Curious Cargo
  • MonsDRAWsity (2 boxes)
  • Night of the Ninja
  • [shelf]
  • Jaipur
  • Death Angel
  • QE
  • Monikers (2 boxes)
  • Innovation + 4 expansions
  • Galaxy Trucker
  • Evolution
  • [shelf]
  • The Estates
  • Wavelength
  • Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
  • Memoir '44
  • [shelf]
  • That Time You Killed Me
  • Sidereal Confluence
  • Sleeping Gods

Column 4

• Dealt
  • No Thanks
  • Radlands
  • Fleet the Dice Game
  • Rustling Leaves
  • High Society
  • The Resistance Avalon
  • The Crew Mission Deep Sea
  • Super-Skill Pinball (2 boxes)
  • Fantasy Realms
  • Hey Thatā€™s My Fish
  • Arboretum
  • [shelf]
  • Corrosion
  • Great Western Trail
  • Bitoku
  • Imperial Steam
  • [shelf]
  • Pipeline
  • Renature
  • Catacombs
  • [shelf]
  • A Distant Plain
  • Cascadia
  • Modern Art
  • Dune
  • Blue Lagoon
3 Likes

Thanks!

Why I donā€™t have - when interesting

• Iberian Gauge / Ride the Rails - Specifically chose Irish for accessibility. Also for heritage.
  • Donā€™t Get Got - ON PRINCIPLE I INVENTED THIS GAME. Seriously. I was recovering from surgery and sitting in a recliner for three days on painkillers planning my birthday party, and I designed a very similar game and gave everyone challenges as they came in the door and it was amazing. This was circa 2015. A couple of us refined the dares for future use and then I found out that someone is monetizing the whole thing. Why am I bitter? Iā€™m an irrational being.
  • Undaunted - Already heavily committed to Memoir 44
  • Food Chain Magnate - Honestly Iā€™d like this but the impossibility of getting it to the tableā€¦ Thereā€™s no place for it in my life. Sometimes I buy games like this anyway (Eclipse) but I went Great Zimbabwe instead.
  • Cubitos - The review looked terrible to me. I think I hate Quarriors so anything that gives me that vibe gets ā€œshort shrift.ā€
  • A Fake Artist Goes to New York - We already love Spyfall
  • A Game of Thrones - A Diplomacy disaster in High School is still lingering in my psyche.
  • Glass Road - Is there such a thing as too much Uwe? Yes. Yes there is. Iā€™ve never looked at this because Uweā€™s gotten as much of me as heā€™s going to get.
  • Terra Mystica - Team Gaia Project, baby
  • Bus - See Food Chain Magnate / Great Zimbabwe
  • Root - I have the app. Hoping I donā€™t love it. Weā€™ll see.
  • Curious Cargo - Just BARELY resisted the temptation. Other reddit takes werenā€™t as keen as Matt and Tom.
  • Pipeline - This has been in and out of my cart so many timesā€¦ I think Brass is holding the door against it? Brass and Barrage?
  • Evolution - No one seems to actually like it. Deleted the app after a short time. Oceans!
  • The Estates - this has been in and out of the cart many times as well. I ended up getting something similar but softer instead, and I canā€™t for the life of me remember what that was nowā€¦maybe Chinatown?
  • Wavelength - I donā€™t think I understand the concept. It just looked ā€¦ SO uninteresting. Codenames and Decrypto ftw.
  • Modern Art - this is another one that has been in and out of two dozen shopping carts. I donā€™t need it. Iā€™ll probably end up owning it one day anyway.

Most others I just havenā€™t heard of or they had no hook for me.

2 Likes

The dice are much better than Quarriors and I liked this better. Got rid of Quarriors for the terrible dice and wild swinginess. This felt more deckbuildery to me. The race is somewhat superfluous though. Very much NOT Mario Kart. Found it wasnā€™t very interactive which is weird for a race game. Itā€™s fine. Not great. If a better dice-deck-builder comes alongā€¦ but I need a game like this in my collection and it is the best of its type that I know. (Gave Dice Settlers to friends).

2 Likes
  • Irish Gauge/Ride the Rails: I have Iberian Gauge because I got to these games late and Irish Gauge was OOP for quite a long time. Have yet to get Iberian Gauge to the table -.- 3 players minimum.

• Undaunted Normandy + Memoir 44: WWII themesā€¦ not my thing.

• Tigris & Euphrates: I tried buying this at some point but even the old ugly copies of which there are tons floating around here are not exactly cheap and I have since learned that Knizia tile layers are stressful games to me. I think even Babylonia is probably going to leave the collection. If a new edition of Samurai came in print thoughā€¦ I sold the old ugly huge box I had of Samurai.

• For Science: definitely on my buy as soon as it is available list.

• Twilight Imperium: I have enough impossible to get to the table games as it is. Why add another huge box?

• A Game of Thrones The Board Game: I used to own a 1st edition plus addons. We played a few legendary games of this but it got so backstabby and got worse with every gameā€¦ this was years before the TV show. People still talk about ā€œValyrian Steel!ā€ I think Iā€™d rather try and get a backstabby game of Dune going these days.

• Glass Road: I am thinking I should get rid of some Uwe worker placement to get some Uwe rondel but every time I feel I can let go of some Uwe workers, I canā€™t. So there just isnā€™t enough space for more Uwe, until that day where I am weak.

• Bus: I was tempted when the new edition came out and it was all over SPIEL. But then I got over the temptation and bought Zimbabwe and FCM instead.

• Curious Cargo: I was tempted after the review. But it seemed like it would be impossible to play with my partner and someone on here complained about how the game smelledā€“of all things to complain aboutā€“and now I have Factory Funner to satisfy my pipe connecting dreams. (Same with Pipeline basically, the thing I am interested in is also done with Factory Funner)

• MonsDRAWsity (2 boxes): drawing games ā€¦ meh.

• Monikers (2 boxes): Iā€™ve been looking for the German equivalent to this. Sadly this is the type of game I could only play with my friends in German. But there is no German version of this I think. So: meh.

• Galaxy Trucker: played it to death on the app

• Evolution: Team Oceans or nothing.

• Fleet the Dice Game: it looks so fiddly.

• Rustling Leaves: I admit the recent review moved this into a cart somewhere on the internet. German name is BlƤtterrauschen.

• Fantasy Realms: if this came out with new art and a theme I was interested in instead of generic fantasy I might give it a try. My experience with scripted TTS mod was bad though.

• Corrosion: I know someone who would buy this for the theme if I told him the game existed. But somehow this doesnā€™t speak to me. At all.

• Bitoku: it looks like someone puked colors on the board. Very pretty colors but after watching half a review I decided I have enough complex games with better iconography to safely ignore whatever this is.

• Imperial Steam: I havenā€™t played my 2 train games yet.

• Catacombs: Isnā€™t this like Crokinole with a theme and a story? I think Iā€™d rather have Crokinole when I get the space for it (by the looks of this box, takes almost as much space)

PS: I ignored all the games I didnā€™t knowā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m highly likely to sell my copy. For my money, homebrew Celebrity is better. Too many of the cards were kind of inside jokes for someone elseā€™s group. As I read through, I was thinking how much more fun it would be to have us all just write down five words on torn paper and play it the old fashioned way.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s the Star Trek retheme and a Marvel retheme incoming. Itā€™s in danger of becoming the new Love Letter

2 Likes

Oh noes. Or Flux. I think Flux is the better comparison for how much game there is.