The Crowdfunding Thread

I keep thinking I’ll get the complete Everdell box, and then I realise it’s £165 for something I already paid £60 for.

I didn’t buy Gloomhaven or Pax Pamir 2nd because they’re £100+, I just can’t justify this… I do love the base game though.

What if they gave you critter art stickers for all 180-odd critter meeples? Because apparently that’s coming with the complete collection as well as the addon for just the storage box.

2 Likes

Stickers omg… i just saw the announcement… why?

I am not going to put 300 stickers on meeples.

2 Likes

I used to like the idea of stickers/screen-printing for meeples. But there’s something jarring about the high-res designs on a meeple, a component that is abstract and low-detail.

3 Likes

I agree and they get more off-putting the more detail is included. But they can be done really well. Sample pics from the new Deep Space D6 game showed the ship meeples with their printed sides (fresh and destroyed) and they look fantastic. The game uses a very simplistic style though.

4 Likes

It does seem…a bit overwhelming. Also I never seem to get them quite correctly aligned.

2 Likes

Looking through current Kickstarters… does anyone else have the impression they are getting bigger?
36.000 for Tiny Epic Dungeons
20.000 for Root Marauders
17.000 for Everdell Complete / Exp 5
5.000 for So you’ve been Eaten
17.000 for Ares Expedition
83.000 Frosthaven (that was a a year ago)
13.000 Oath (Feb 2020 maybe considered pre pandemic)

I thought Jagged Earth was big with 8.000 in 2018.
All the pre pandemic kickstarters I checked were less than 10.000…

2 Likes

I think it jives with my overall impression of how Kickstarter boardgames are successful (or not).

1. Many people have fewer outlets for their disposable income during this time
  2. Kickstarter games offer a promise of future excitement, which parallels with the potential future excitement of boardgame nights; i.e. “I’m not gaming now, but I will be soon… and maybe when I do, I should have an awesome new Kickstarter game waiting for the occasion”
  3. The formula for presenting Kickstarter projects is getting better, each campaign honing in on what does work and avoiding things that don’t.
6 Likes

I think also more and more people hear about and try Kickstarter, and while I think some people end up turned off and quit, a lot of people stick around and keep backing. I know I have ever since 2012.

3 Likes

KS board games also serve as advertisement for new customer. If they see X on kickstarter and they backed it, they are now aware there’s a massive area for crowd funding board games

2 Likes

I am in the gaming minority here, but I prefer pieces that are plain and abstract. One of the reasons I didn’t back the big box of 3D tiles for Terraforming Mars was because I realized I much preferred the plain tiles. Overly-decorated pieces do not help my immersion or enjoyment of the game, but then I rather like minimalist art and design. I do prefer custom-shaped pieces to just having cubes everywhere, but that’s also because no game should rely upon color alone to distinguish its pieces (even though many do).

3 Likes

Screen printing like the Root pieces are about the right level for me.

So no, you’re not alone. Those Everdell ones are hideous.

4 Likes

[Laughs in Commands & Colours series]

3 Likes

I ended up buying the screen printed viticulture meeples the use of only a few colours is pretty critical to keep the meeple meeply, imho.

1 Like

We don’t seem to have mentioned

now in its last half-day: 2021-03-16T22:59:00Z

Might be an interesting game, and they eventually released a rulebook, but the look is a bit too cutesey for my taste.

4 Likes

I feel like that’s the kind of game that in one minute of playing you’ll work out if you’re going to get beaten handily or beat everyone else handily. I think those kinds of puzzles are tricky to mitigate for.

4 Likes

Yyyyep. Took a look and thought: well there’s a neat looking game I could lose all the time. Given infinite time, there is only a strong possibility that I’ll ever work out a slide puzzle.

2 Likes

The fun world of kickstarted games.

• Oath is stuck in customs. Mimimimi. :sob:
  • Kemet claims to start delivering next week… months ahead of schedule at least in EU. And also surprise: we made a custom insert we told nobody about until… now? (really I made the post because of that wild update… Matagot has to be the most disorganized place ever. Anyone remember my odyssey with Inis?)
  • Rocketmen should be starting to go out to backers any time now.
  • 18DO has been pushed back months because they missed a deadline with the printers because one of the two guys making it caught Covid late last year.
  • PS forgot to mention I backed Mouse Cheese Cat Cucumber because… I could?

As of now, my oldest unreceived game kickstarter is Zombicide 2. They keep saying “soon”.
And I don’t even know why I backed that we haven’t played Zombicide since pre-covid. This one has taken a loooong time. I don’t remember the previous campaign taking that long–I do not normally back CMON stuff…

6 Likes

No no no. Cyclades should be involved with Odysseys. Not Inis. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I had a similar scenario when I preordered it back when it first came out and they decided to redirect all the copies destined for the UK to the US. Had to wait 6 months for it to be reprinted :frowning:

2 Likes