The Crowdfunding Thread

Yes, Nemesis is one of those games that I am grateful for the SUSD review. If somebody else owns it and asks to play it, I’d say hell, yes, but expending all that cash for it…? I don’t think so.
I’d rather save it for something more “playable”…

3 Likes

I think Nemesis is triggering some of my Battlestar Galactica feelings: I came to it late, after I’d played The Resistance, and it always felt slightly awkward to blend the cooperative dealing-with-multiple-problems game with the antagonistic social deduction game. I’d generally rather play one or the other, and not take hours over it.

I suspect that if you’re one of the many people who liked BSG it might work a bit better.

3 Likes

Mothership just had an amazing third new expansion added to the current booster pack campaign. It’s introducing merchants, city planets, a space pirate stronghold, and a freaking space whale! Needless to say I’m all over it. Meanwhile I won my place in the game one last time, and a third card of my design will be making it into the game.

[EDIT] I want to take a minute to take stock of what this little deathmatch game can actually include, as it’s kind of nuts and really has become a light system-in-a-box:

Core Box

• Victory Point Mode
  • Influence System
  • Mineral and Gas planets, Moons/Planetoids
  • Artifacts
  • Planetary Development

Into the Vortex

• Class Cards (asymmetric player powers)
  • Wormholes
  • Nebulae

Call of the Void

• Neutron Stars and Black Holes
  • Distress Beacons (quests)
  • Objectives (open, hidden and mixed options)

Miscellaneous

• Black and Silver fleets (up to 8P)
  • XL gameboard
  • Event die

Cosmetics

• Void dice
  • Gold fleet

New Stuff

• Booster Pack (new action cards, objectives, etc.)

Beyond the Expanse (details fuzzy)

• Pirate Stronghold
  • Merchant Enclaves
  • Space Whale
  • City Planets
  • Enclave Cards

Cripes. That’s a lot of modules!!

2 Likes

Re: Nemesis

After just completing the BGG contest quiz, my biggest take away: I want the Space Cat skulpt

But that’s the only bit I was interested in

However, if I knew somebody that had a copy and said, “Hey, come play the full co-op version of totally-not-stolen-Alien-IP: The Board Game with me” I definitely would.

5 Likes

There’s something in the water over at the imaginary place where I imagine boardgame designers congregate in masses.

The collision of “18xx” and “Kickstarter” recently (over the last couple of years) is quite remarkable.

I wasn’t sure I needed this game when I first learned about it; it has a euro-y inspired auction that occurs regularly throughout the game, an enormous map that may be a 1-to-1 scale representation of England, Wales and a bit of Scotland, and even still it uses very small, by comparison to other games, tiles because of the intricacy of the map. Of course, large swathes of the map are irrelevant, but even with the smaller tile size, the areas around <famous UK cities that I should remember but don’t> are tight battlegrounds.

So, I would probaby pass on this one if it didn’t come bundled with a 2-pack of smaller, regional scenarios. For the Kickstarter, these are included in the price, but when it goes to retail, they will be a separate SKU with a separate price. And for that reason I am picking this one up. The regional scenarios claim to weigh in at about 3.5 hours for experienced players and that’s definitely more palatable than the full game roughly estimated at 6+ hours. Maybe some day in the future I can arrange a day-long 18xx day…

I also really want to grab 1817 as a ship-along with 1822+… but when am I ever going to get 1817 played? It’s one of the longer games in the 18xx series (perhaps rivaled only by 18OE and/or some less popular titles)

I do think, however, I’m going to grab 18Ireland to keep GB company on it’s journey to my house… hopefully a war doesn’t break out in the box during its transit

: I’m no mapologist, so don’t take my word for it.

2 Likes

I backed as well. 18Ireland is very tempting but happy to skip the other beginner one. 18al? I don’t need another intro type game.

Having already got 1817 on order and a copy of 18OE I’m not sure I need another longer one, so glad to see the 2 scenarios in the box

2 Likes

18MS – yeah, a beginner title it seems; definitely a pass on that one for me. I already have 18Chesapeake, with 1861/1867 pledged, and I could always PnP 1889 if I needed to.

1 Like

Because Cthulhu makes everything better and must be included in all games. Like zombies.

4 Likes

I’m still in for the Railroad Ink Challenge kickstarter, but I don’t like their language. “Please (do this thing) to help us meet our goals and unlock new content!” (This thing) isn’t pledging more money, it’s sending in submissions for their competition; “please help us reach a goal that we arbitrarily set”.

1 Like

Yeah, that rubs me the wrong way too. But it probably is effective at engaging a certain demographic… At least it’s easy enough to ignore.

1 Like

Nyarlathotep, okay. Cthulhu ain’t got a darn thing to do with ancient Egypt.

2 Likes

I don’t back boardgame kickstarters that often so I don’t know how common it is, but some of it feels weird.

I’m still in for Green and Yellow. I’ll probably add Red and Blue and the drawstring bag, and maybe the dice tray.

Yeah I was already committed to this Kickstarter when I heard about the group order I could get in on. €100 for the whole package including shipping sounds very reasonable. I’m still working on the 1889 PnP and I already pledged for 1840, so I think I got the intro side of the genre covered. This pledge is entirely based on my faith that I will eventually get to the point where I want something deep and different. The tipping point were those scenario boards that pack all the macguffins of the main game into a four hour experience.

(I’m afraid that if I tell people here that I am currently bidding on a copy of Roads & Boats they are going to think that I want to challenge pillbox.)

2 Likes

I’m afraid that I’m getting close to that!

2 Likes

The good news is: if you accidentally buy too many 18xx games, there’s a good chance you’ll be able to get (the bulk of, if not more than) your money back by selling them on the secondary market; the 18xx corner of the market seems to be exploding and its rare (at least from what I’ve seen) for a good 18xx game at a fair price to linger too long.

: that’s a rabbit hole we can go down if you really want to

Wow. Classy.

Absolutely. From what I’ve seen 18XX don’t seem to suffer from the same price decline as most other board games. At an MSRP of $195 for 1822 I’m not really afraid to lose money.

1 Like

Sean Sutter of Metal King Studio launched a KS for a new 2-player starter box for Relicblade. It’s a small scale skirmish game, in a world of his creation. When I say his creation, I mean everything; rules, sculpts, art, everything!!! Well, excluding when he has guests artists and such.

I’ve heard nothing but great things, and have been waiting for a chance to jump in. I’m not likely to grab any add-ons, as he’s said the price and shipping is the same from his store, but no KS taking a cut. Apparently, most of the items are available for people in EU as he is able to offer friendly shipping via KS, which he normally can’t do.

While I don’t normally go in for the “work of passion”, this happens to be a solid game, and Sean seems like a great guy (he adds a personal sketch to each hard copy of the rule book he sells!!!)

Anyways, link!!!

3 Likes

Something a bit unexpected: an actual small Kickstarter.

I saw this only because of the BGG contest; they haven’t even funded yet. I don’t think I’ll go for it. But if I didn’t already have Firefly, I might be tempted – in particular by the variable map setup and the skill bag.

3 Likes

If this was solo able I would be all over it!