The Crowdfunding Thread

I have 2nd ed big box and this is practically useless to me.

2 Likes

Ooh, I love a good Kickstarter/Crowdfunding anticipation recap!

Frosthaven ā€“ I really have no business having this as I also have Gloomhaven and havenā€™t even touched it, as Iā€™ve been waiting for my partner to find the time/energy for us to explore it together. However, it may have turned out to be a great financial investment. I got Gloomhavent, Frosthaven and a bunch of extra gameplay content, all for less than the purported MSRP/RRP of Frosthaven is expected to be when it hits retail shelves.

Rallyman: DIRT ā€“ Love Rallyman GT. Rally is a superior motorsport, very excite.

Vinyl and Vinyl: Jukebox All-In ā€“ My enthusiasm for this has waned significantly since the campaign. A year ago I sent a message on Kickstarter asking what amount of my pledge I could get back if I cancelledā€¦ Oh well. Iā€™ll play it when it arrives, but I suspect it will be moving along on the secondhand market fairly shortly thereafter.

John Company: Second Edition ā€“ I know very little about this title from a gameplay perspective. But the conceit of the game is brilliant and Iā€™ve been lead to believe by some news/critical sources that itā€™s a great heavy-weight strategy game that Iā€™ll probably explore, mainly, as a solo experience.

Empyreal: Far Corners ā€“ this ā€œexpansionā€ Kickstarter was, in all likelihood, an excuse to get the base game back on Kickstarter. I have the base game (and the big box expansion) so Iā€™m not expecting this $9 expansion to set the world on fire. Plus, itā€™s a Level 99 crowdfunding project, so even though itā€™s late in fulfilling, itā€™s not late enough

Warehouse 13: The H.G. Wells Expansion ā€“ this may be lost in the ether. No project updates since March 2022, which is when the project was expected to fulfill.

Shikoku 1889 ā€“ I bought this mostly as a way to capitalize on getting the errata content for 1861/67; Iā€™ve played 1889 and itā€™s fine. Iā€™m probably going to just sell it unplayed.

ORC BORG - brutal chaos powered by MƖRK BORG ā€“ Picked this up on a whim after seeing it mentioned here. I love the graphic design and I need more light-weight RPG options (I think)

Kabuto Sumo Total Mayhem, QE: Commodities Expansion, Bites: New Recipes Expansion ā€“ always light to support local businesses. Iā€™ve played Kabuto Sumo, but not either of the others. Still, I have reason to suspect these are, all three, good investments.

Mini Express Map Pack Expansion 1 & 2 ā€“ I have not yet played Mini Express, but I backed the map expansions mostly on designer name recognition alone.

51st State: Ultimate Edition ā€“ Not much to say here. I do like the game; I wish the art were less edgy so that I could contemplate playing it with my children in the next couple of years.

RA ā€“ I already have a copy of RA. When this arrives, Iā€™ll have to figure out which one I want to keep

Castles of Burgundy: Special Edition ā€“ this was actually a fairly reasonable and affordable way to pick up all of the expansion content (of which I own none). And if that expansion content doesnā€™t seem worthwhile, I can likely resell it for at least what I paid.

All-Aboard Games Wave 5 ā€“ There are 5 titles and they are all interesting in one way or another. I donā€™t expect to keep all 5, but I donā€™t yet know which ones will make the cut. And then maybe I can trade one of the ones I donā€™t want for a copy of 1849, which is one of the two AAG titles I donā€™t own and one I think I might need to check out.

EDIT: Forgot Rallyman: DIRT! fixed.

5 Likes

My outstanding list:

Primal the Awakening they were overly optimistic with delivery but will happen one day.

1889 my first and I still like the idea of it. After my really good play of 1830 Iā€™m more excited for some more advanced play of it.

18GB was sold as a fast play one and Iā€™d like something thatā€™s not 1822 and whole of Britain map is appealing as itā€™s my home.

1880: China Joined in a group pre-order for this one. Like the other OO games Iā€™ve tried and this is held up as a paragon of operationals so excited to play it.

Fortunately, thatā€™s it! Pleased with my restraint over the past 18 months.

5 Likes

I anticipate buying both 1880: China and 1841 if they become available. I also am anticipating checking out the upcoming second edition of Trick Shot that should be on Kickstarter in October

2 Likes

I already have my empyreal so hopefully yours is with you soon!

1 Like

Iā€™ve got Ra and some Rallyman GT bits. the latter are already sold on and will be used to fund something else (maybe Heat but I canā€™t quite pull the trigger on a preorder for it)

1 Like

Very keen on this one. I had the impression that it pretty much took out the fun boss fights out of video games but without the grinding.

3 Likes

I forgot a couple of mine:

Agents of Smersh (the most egregious wait)
QE and Kabuto

2 Likes

And now thereā€™s Terraforming Mars: The Dice Game. @yashima convince me we donā€™t need to go all in on this, too.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/strongholdgames/terraforming-mars-dice-game

3 Likes

As a completist, I know Iā€™d end up getting it anyway. Since KS + Shipping is the same as Retail for me, I went ahead and backed it.

2 Likes

My feeling is people should be making non-dice versions of dice games, not the other way around, so Iā€™ll definitely be skipping.

(Okay, actually I canā€™t think of any game Iā€™d want that done with.)

2 Likes

I havenā€™t done one for a while, here is what I am still waiting for. And quite likely, I wonā€™t be booking anything else for a while, I have had my good run of crowdfunded games, but I am not that much in the zone lately, I hardly watch any channels other than SUSD (and not everything they release) and they never do any crowdfunding games (other than the odd mention on podcasts)

From Gamefound:

• The Witcher: Old World. Still really excited about this. Another big box!
  • Arydia: The Paths We Dare Tread (Coming along with a copy of Xia+Expansions) That could be another couple of big boxes. I think @yasmina might be onto something hereā€¦
  • Tindaya. I believe this was my last project supported. The creator is from my hometown, and it looks like the project is going quite well, considering all the trouble of the last few years.

From K/S:

• Endless Winter: Paleoamericans. I thought this could be really good. After all the time itā€™s taken, I am not so sureā€¦
  • Everdell: The Full Collection (I can see it is reaching the USA, so maybe here by November??) Another biggie.
  • Mind MGMT. I jumped in the wagon. I am having second thoughts. It might not be the right game for me. Weā€™ll see.

If anything, given the bulk of games to comeā€¦ I think I need to sell more games. Mainly to make space.

5 Likes

Undecided. Need to look more. Normally my partner is the one with a hankering for dice games in this house but when I asked him he said ā€œGames with the initials TMā€“nopeā€

I like the look of it and how it has the milestones that Ares Expedition lacks. But do I really need to throw more money at TM games? Probably not. Looking at the 2 boxes (TM and Ares Expedition) or even putting them on a scale I have enough to last me forever.

And yetā€¦ those diceā€¦ I do suspect that it will be available at retail and they have no lack of backers right now. So I am trying to stay strong. Shipping is not exactly nothingā€“at least they include VAT though.

3 Likes

Seeing how I have yet to convince my partner to play against me, same here. Same here. But Iā€™ll try again.

3 Likes

I think Iā€™m only awaiting Ra and For Northwood at present.

2 Likes

Glad to hear it! Iā€™m excited to play. However fair warning, thereā€™ll be a time lag between arrival and first play as Iā€™ll paint the minis first. This assumes the minis are good enough to paint.

But yes, your reading is correct. All boss battles no grind. There is some set up between games as you improve your equipment and decks

3 Likes

I decided to back the Merchantā€™s Cove expansion. I also hope to pick up the Dragon Rancher and Innkeeper in the pledge manager, assuming they continue to be roughly competitively-priced with OGS.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/512772051/merchants-cove-master-craft/widget

Postage/import costs (and now an atrocious exchange rate) made me cut back on anything not coming from the UK. So now Kickstarter is almost exclusively the ā€œfunding Rowan, Rook, & Deckard productsā€ site for me.

The DIE RPG is the only thing Iā€™m waiting for right now.

2 Likes

So Iā€™ll get in on the sharing. Iā€™m a little embarrassed that my list is one of the longer ones. Never really thought that would be the case but here we are. I mostly cooled on crowdfunding but since it takes so long lots still havenā€™t arrived from my hayday.
Also it seems like my tastes are more Ameritrashy than most here haha.

Frosthaven - Iā€™ve cooled on Gloomhaven as the years have gone by but Iā€™ve decided that this will be a solo experience so it will be less rife with the scheduling issues that crippled my Gloomhaven experience and hopefully more enjoyable. Iā€™m content to wait for this one.

Cthulhu Wars - I always hear how this one is simpler and better than other games like it so I jumped on the last Kickstarter years ago. I wasnā€™t sure it was ever going to fulfill but it looks like it might soonish maybe. Weā€™ll have to wait and see.

After the Empire - looks neat, love the theme, the toy factor, and time period. Iā€™ve since heard some not great stuff so weā€™ll see but fingers crossed

Mythic Battles: Ragnarok - backed this at the height of my Kickstarter binging because of SVWAGs high praise and because the minis look fun to paint.

Volfyrion Guilds - honestly do not have high hopes for this one but hopefully it surprises.

Primal: The Awakening - Iā€™ve always heard good stuff about Reggie games and the minis look fun to paint.

Oros - the game art and production look great and are kind of refreshing. Also itā€™s tiles make a puzzle and yes itā€™s a gimmick but Iā€™m looking forward to it quite a lot

Too Many Bones: Unbreakable - this one is the pinnacle of the excess of crowdfunding and kind of a guilty pleasure for me but I have most of Too Many Bones coming with this one. I love the game and wanted more of it so wish granted but when it lands in my collection it will necessitate some serious shelf rearrangement.

Earthborne Rangers - I love what theyā€™re trying to do with this. A bit saddened that they couldnā€™t make local production work but still the steps forward theyā€™re trying to take I think are in the right direction for the hobby and I honestly have backed it mostly off those ideals

Beast - I have yet to play a hidden movement and this one looked like a fun way to start

Steam Up: A Feast of Dim Sum - my wife loved how it looked so we backed it together

Miniac Wood Elf Mini - just a model or two to paint mostly just to support a creator I enjoy

Unmatched Storage - love that theyā€™re doing this and addressing sort of a problem with their own products. Canā€™t wait for the sweet sweet organization

Robot Quest: Arena - looks fun and adorable and has deck holding so Iā€™m in

Rise of the Necromancers - this one got me from the theme mostly, playing as the bad guys is fun and should happen more in games

Rivenstone - I just got a couple models because I canā€™t start another wargame. Backed this one to support smaller minis companies and Siocast looks interesting

RoboMon - gah this one got me, it nailed my childhood nostalgia for pokemon. If it can get just a sliver of that enjoyment again for me then it will be worth it.

Tainted Grail: Kings of Ruin - I cancelled my ISS Vanguard pledge a while back after hearing about this one coming because Iā€™ve always been more of a fantasy guy than sci fi. I havenā€™t played the first one but I like the flavour. Looks pretty good so far, I like that theyā€™re addressing a common complaint Iā€™d heard about grindiness. Now Iā€™m just debating getting the minis too and whether I really need them haha.

6 Likes

I considered this one, as well. It is on my Essen list to check out.

Yep. I had hoped that would work out as well. Daybreak campaign mentioned similar hopes and they also couldnā€™t make it work. May be the reason is that the US no longer has any printers?

3 Likes