The Crowdfunding Thread

Left-right binding is way too strong for me.

I love that crowdfunding allows this sort of thing to exist.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phoenixgrey/lewd-dungeon-adventures-a-role-playing-game-for-couples

4 Likes

“War of the Ring designers making ‘Dune: War for Arrakis’ boardgame with CMON” coming to Kickstarter later this year…

(Edit: and being CMON means it’ll have 100 minis and cost over £100, so I won’t be getting it, but I will play War of the Ring one day).

3 Likes

Interest will be declared - I demo for SJGames, and write for them.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sjgames/pathfinder-revolution-by-steve-jackson-games

I can’t back this because SJGames aren’t offering non-US shipping (and the cost of setting up a package forwarding for just one thing… no). I like the old Revolution, and I still have my copy. A couple of other warning flags: no rulebook post, and no reviews by anyone I’ve heard of. I’d really want to know a lot more about this before I even went for a retail version.

Also $60 even in the US.

Also Pathfinder.

On the other hand as far as I’m concerned it’s a very welcome move by SJGames back into games that actually have some meat to them, rather than the likes of Super Kitty Bug Slap and Ghosts Love Candy. (And of course the endless parade of Munchkin $RANDOM, but I can’t really blame them for that – people are still paying for it!)

5 Likes

It’s pretty weak as a crowdfunding effort. I would have expected to offer the other expansions (such as 5-6 players) as a stretch goal or add-on at least. Coming only with the base game is underwhelming, especially for those of us with the original.

$80,000 stretch goal makes the base game that ships to everyone a 3-6 player game rather than 3-4 player. That seems fair; I’m generally not a fan of huge stretch goals (and the Ogre Designer’s Edition Kickstarter killed work on other things for a year, so I suspect they aren’t either).

Huh. I completely skipped over that. I did a search for “player” in my browser, but since it’s in there as an image (perhaps the one practice of kickstarter page design that frustrates me the most), it didn’t show up.

2 Likes

Is anyone interested in Dark Tower? I wonder if it’ll be the last time on sale as I imagine the second hit for a nostalgia product is going to be ridiculously reduced.

It’s a legitimately good game that bears little resemblance to the original Dark Tower. I will get the new expansion. I don’t know that I can recommend getting the base game at the updated list price though.

Five Three Five (English Edition of 535 from Japan) by Portland Game Collective — Kickstarter

Oh look! Another trick taking/climbing card game :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Okay. Let’s start with the pros:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cgl/leviathans-the-great-war

I love Catalyst Games and a lot of what they’re doing and have done with Battletech.
I love the look of the game overall, although it is very hard to tell the ships for each specific faction without paint (compared to, say, WarMachine or WarHammer, where each unit has a very distinctive look).
Airships! With guns! Amazing!

Cons:

The ROI for the KS is very, very slim unless it hits $500K+. Right now, the saving for the $100 level is… $12. And it stays pretty linear. At $500K more free stuff opens up, and you’re looking about about $30 in savings. Still not great… most of the milestones are “We will allow you to buy these things” instead of actual “rewards.” Not a complaint, just a fact.
I definitely, 100% do not have enough room for another miniatures game.
I can’t tell anything about the various armies without digging, and I don’t wanna dig. I don’t like playing “the baddies,” but I get the impression that everyone in this game is going to be “the baddies.”
Did I mention I definitely don’t have room for another minis game? To say nothing about having people to play it with! Or time to play it! I haven’t played any of the three minis games I already have in years!

… it’s so pretty…

2 Likes

New Revolution got cancelled when it looked as though it wouldn’t fund; to come back “later this year”.

They’re talking, like everyone else, in terms of “look, we’re not gold-plating our cats here, this is how much it’s costing us to make a game and stay in business”. Which I’m reasonably confident is true. But I also think that there are a lot fewer people willing to pay $60 for a fairly light game than there are willing to pay $40, and maybe this model isn’t sustainable unless you already have a rabid fanbase.

1 Like

What I don’t quite grasp is how a kickstarter for a project will cost RRP plus half that again on postage but getting the game to a shop and they can sell the game for RRP with no delivery fee.

Is it simply from the fact that shops need to buy in bulk? But then surely the shop has to pass on the cost for individual delivery.

Maybe selling board games is impossible realistically.

2 Likes

From what I can remember, retail gets discount for hoovering up stocks from the publisher.

3 Likes

This is the major reason I’ve stopped crowdfunding. I can pay £80 + £40 postage or I can wait and pay £80 at retail.

(Other reasons: “on a game that may change before its released… in a year’s time… and hasn’t been reviewed fully yet…” etc)

5 Likes

At least in and to the UK, it’s cheaper to ship a box of ten games than ten games individually, cheaper to ship a pallet of ten boxes than ten individual boxes, etc.

2 Likes

Additionally, retail has its costs, but so does Kickstarter.

In retail, the publisher sells wholesale to a distributor, who then distributes (along with many other games, combining shipping) to various retailers. I don’t know the wholesale numbers, but retailers buying from distributors is usually at, roughly, 40-50% of MSRP/RRP.

In Kickstarter, the numbers are somewhat less standardized, but the general effect is that by the time you pay Kickstarter for their cut, a pledge manager and a fulfillment company, you’re probably down to 10 to 20% “profit”, as long as worldwide shipping and logistics hasn’t ruined your day.

1 Like

It’s bizarre when I see my kickstarters coming from gameslore via their distribution bit though.

2 Likes

Just backed Shu’s Tactics on KS. A tower defense roll and write that looks pretty cute, and is just $6 for the full campaign delivered in PDF format. Went ahead and threw in $3 more for the co-op materials. I have a soft spot for things involving the Romance of the Three Kingdoms after playing so much Dynasty Warriors, so I’ll risk < $10 for a game with that theme.

1 Like

20ish years ago, I worked for a company that did third party fulfillment for publishers. We’d get a container of stuff, unload it into our warehouse, and ship it to the customer (which was often a bookstore, but not always). The numbers of a normalish textbook (ie: dense, and heavy) worked out something like “$1 to get a container load from Asia to the west coast, $1 to get from there to us, $5 to get it from us to the customer”. A bookstore getting a carton would cost a buck or so, per book.

1 Like